Sponsored

Jeep JL add trailer lights to Non LED tail lights

TeeJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
I just purchased a Jeep JL. I did not think through needing the tow package because I made the mistake of thinking it would be no big deal. After doing some research it appears adding the trailer lights to the new Jeep is a huge chore and if done by the dealer it is rather expensive. However so far every video I have seen have all been dealing with Jeeps with the LED tail lights. Mine does not have the LED tail lights and I was wondering if anyone has added trailer lighting to one of these Jeeps. The 2007 to 2017 it just a simple pig tail to the tail light plug. I am hoping that maybe since I do not have LED I could get away with a previous model year addition trailer lighting wire.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TeeJay

Whether your JL has the LED option or not, adding it will be a chore compared to to adding same to a JK.

No, not plug and play like the JK was.........

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
First: the JK tail lights don't have the same connectors so, the harness(you're referencing) wouldn't be a simple plug-in install. I'm sure it could be modified to work, but...Second: the JK only came with the 4 wire connection, the JL comes(from factory) with 4 & 7 wire connections. If you don't need brakes, then the 4 wire connection would suffice and be a MUCH easier install.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I just installed the trailer hitch receiver and light hook up on my JLU Sahara it is super easy, E-trailer has the wiring harness kit,

Here is the wiring harness (1 hour install) https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...nlimited/2018/C56407.html?vehicleid=201871196

Also there are several receiver options. the one I installed was an extended receiver which allows it to better clear the spare tire (20 min install)
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...Unlimited/2018/76104.html?vehicleid=201866672

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@lightsout

Indeed, the 4 pin install is not that big a deal..... but compared to the JK's plug and play kit for 4 pin it is more of a chore.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
@lightsout

Indeed, the 4 pin install is not that big a deal..... but compared to the JK's plug and play kit for 4 pin it is more of a chore.
Other than running 1 wire to the battery it is 100% plug and play. In fact on the JL there is NO foam insulation to remove from the tail-light cavity and replace, the tail light removes with 1 screw. After doing it once I cold now do the entire install in 15-20 minutes. I simply cannot imagine it being any easier on any other model. With that said there have been issues installing the mopar kit whereas the Curt kit from E-trailer is easy-peasy

OP
OP

TeeJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Thanks for all the info.
Sponsored