Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I brought my Jeep in for the third time for the loose steering and the finally acknowledge the problem and said FCA is aware and looking into it. They even gave me paperwork talking about the issue.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg
Check out the date at the bottom.

Version 4.2 02/06/2017

What’s up with that?
Sponsored

sapitts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
The strange thing is the truck wasn't available on that date, right? So it might mean nothing.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The strange thing is the truck wasn't available on that date, right? So it might mean nothing.
Or , it might mean the similar steering technology was already giving chinese headaches in another vehicle ?

Sponsored

x8086

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
That sucks! What did you end up getting?
Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude. I know, i know..

Scary steering, sketchy welds, under track bar recall, 1500 spent on it with tires.

Last night driving back from the coast to home during a 144 mile drive in the fog convinced me to wake up early and buy something else. It was just like that. I was done trying to keep in on the road. Not worth it.

hdtrader

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Gone), 2018 Ram 1500, 1997 TJ Brute,
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like they are close!

But, I traded today. too freaking scary to drive and had enough.

Best of luck everyone.
I traded mine in on Ram 1500 several months ago...so glad I did! I traded a 2013 two door Rubicon in for the JL..I miss my JK!!!

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
I brought my Jeep in for the third time for the loose steering and the finally acknowledge the problem and said FCA is aware and looking into it. They even gave me paperwork talking about the issue.

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg
Interesting that it says steering gear is NOT adjustable and some dealers have adjusted the steering gear. Go figure.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Well, I’m joining the club. Just dropped the JL off for its Weld Recall inspection, the “Lights on” alarm while the engine is running flash, and the dead spot/ play in the steering wheel.

I’ve waited 3000miles hoping a solution would be had by now, but since there is not I figure I better start documenting it with the dealer.

Of course, when I called an asked if they were aware a problem with the steering in some JL’s, they were not.

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Interesting that it says steering gear is NOT adjustable and some dealers have adjusted the steering gear. Go figure.
Even more interesting is that the Star Case directions, to address the dead band in my Rubicon, stated to adjust the steering box. Clearly FCA management is not only not sharing info with customers, they're not even sharing it with departments within FCA.

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
Well , so far on this forum and Youtube , I've seen maybe 10 solutions . Maybe , just maybe , they ought to go back to mechanical steering , and ditch any electronics controls .
I think the problem is more mechanical vs. electronic but they are trying to adjust the electronics to fix the mechanical issues. Most of the "fixes" are tightening nuts and bolts and making adjustments (caster, steering box). The TSBs just seem to change the power steering fluid pressure.

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude. I know, i know..

Scary steering, sketchy welds, under track bar recall, 1500 spent on it with tires.

Last night driving back from the coast to home during a 144 mile drive in the fog convinced me to wake up early and buy something else. It was just like that. I was done trying to keep in on the road. Not worth it.
I'm in the process of doing the same...trading my 2018 JL for a 2019 JL. I ordered both. I asked about the trade in (I have less that 2500 miles) and the offer they came back with was $34,000. I couldn't believe it. My sticker was just under $52,000. From what I paid, that's a drop of over 28%.

Could you comment on how your trade went?
thanks,

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Sort of related, but I don't believe it's worth making a new thread for:

Does anyone know if you can tighten the steering on Jeeps electronically so that it requires a little bit of muscle to turn the wheel? For instance, some vehicles you can put it in sport mode and it will tighten the steering– If you've ever driven a BMW or G-Wagon, you sort of understand the feel I'm going for. I like a really tight steering feel and if it could be my first mod to the Jeep I would do it the first day I get it (Monday).

From my research it doesn't seem like anyone is wanting to tighten it that much rather just to avoid the loose play in the wheel.
My previous vehicle was a 17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitute, it did have the electronic steering adjustment. I checked for that in my settings when I started having issues, but it is not an option for my Sport S.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm in the process of doing the same...trading my 2018 JL for a 2019 JL. I ordered both. I asked about the trade in (I have less that 2500 miles) and the offer they came back with was $34,000. I couldn't believe it. My sticker was just under $52,000. From what I paid, that's a drop of over 28%.

Could you comment on how your trade went?
thanks,
Confused... what do you mean you ordered both if you are trading a 2018 JL for a 2019 JL? And is the 2018 JL trade in value in kbb.com and/or edmonds yet? If yes, what does it say?
Sponsored