Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
I sent an email to the dealership earlier today asking for the dash panel and fender to be fixed and I also included the JeepInformant video link for the steering fix. I asked to see if the steering could be looked at and improved based on the steering box fix.

The GM of the dealership responded back at about 8pm with a one-liner of simply:

"If you don’t want it let us know"

Apparently, he either just doesn't care about fixing anything or maybe they just want to keep the Jeep so they can make a profit on a second one? I don't know. But this is over the top as far as responses go.
Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm still working with my FCA rep and my Stericycle rep, who have both been great through all of this. My dealership, where the replacement sits and who is supposed to be facilitating the swap, has not been much of a help through all of this. That saying of being "left out to dry" comes to mind when I think of their involvement so far.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
I live in NC and would like to avoid this dealer. Can you name them?

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I'm still working with my FCA rep and my Stericycle rep, who have both been great through all of this. My dealership, where the replacement sits and who is supposed to be facilitating the swap, has not been much of a help through all of this. That saying of being "left out to dry" comes to mind when I think of their involvement so far.
See if theywill transfer it to another dealer.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I live in NC and would like to avoid this dealer. Can you name them?
https://www.leithchryslerdodgejeep.com/

Wendell, NC location. We have purchased the last 8 to 9 Jeeps from this dealership and have always said we would not purchase a car anywhere else. We have always been treated fairly and like friends there.

However, I'm confident that we won't be back there with all the hassle over this Jeep and replacement. Really disappointing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And I'd like to add that just today my son was asking about the Jeep. I mentioned the possibility of just having to walk away from it and may have to look at something else.

I could see the disappointment and sadness on his face when I mentioned that possibility. He was looking forward to working on this car with me so that we could have some good times together.

I've already held out on doing anything to this current Jeep for over 3 months because of the welds, re-welds, replacement order, and now possibly nothing at all to show for it all.

I'm one sad dad tonight.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Best wishes and all our Prayers to you and your family .

( The part I found extra disturbing was they did not agree to put the replacement on a rack so you could inspect the welds .)
I really appreciate it. Means a lot that so many people have reached out to us. Jeep JL or not, we are blessed and I'm blessed to still be here. Nothing like trying to stay alive for the past year and having to deal with all this vehicle mess, right? Lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think, as of right now, this will be my route to take. I'll ask for the few things to be fixed and fixed right. Then, I'll ask for an extended warranty on the battery since it's already had a dead one that has no clear answer on how it died.

I'll also ask the dealership to check all the steering items to address the loose steering.

I will continue working with the NHTSA engineers. They have emailed and want to know about my replacement and the welds and steering on the new vehicle.
Ask FCA to give you the Lifetime warranty at no charge.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
And I'd like to add that just today my son was asking about the Jeep. I mentioned the possibility of just having to walk away from it and may have to look at something else.

I could see the disappointment and sadness on his face when I mentioned that possibility. He was looking forward to working on this car with me so that we could have some good times together.

I've already held out on doing anything to this current Jeep for over 3 months because of the welds, re-welds, replacement order, and now possibly nothing at all to show for it all.

I'm one sad dad tonight.
If you really want a Jeep to work on and hand down to your son, look for something older. That will have a much better chance at lasting - all the electronics they've put in the new JL give it a snowballs chance to meet the requirements you want from yours.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
If you really want a Jeep to work on and hand down to your son, look for something older. That will have a much better chance at lasting - all the electronics they've put in the new JL give it a snowballs chance to meet the requirements you want from yours.
Agree with the above, no one is going to work on this thing with all the electric every thing. You will be giving him a nightmare. As a mechanic I would not want it as a hobby vehicle.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Ask FCA to give you the Lifetime warranty at no charge.
I’m not trying to be a jerk nor defending FCA, but FCA already agreed to replace his Jeep with a new one. Why would FCA give him a free lifetime warranty? He is receiving a new Jeep which is the same as everyone else here who purchased a JL. With that logic, every new JL buyer should be entitled to a free lifetime warranty because most JLs have crappy welds and steering. Obviously he has been put through a great deal of inconvenience which is unfortunate. Maybe a free lifetime warranty would be a reward for his trouble. Can’t hurt to ask.

Even if you get a free lifetime warranty or purchase one for $2,000 online, you are still inconvienced when your JL breaks down due to a faulty aux battery or other electronics. Having to deal with tow trucks and the service department is the pits.

I would seriously consider a new JKUR if one can be found.

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m not trying to be a jerk, but FCA already agreed to replace his Jeep with a new one. Why would FCA give him a free lifetime warranty? He is receiving a new Jeep which is the same as everyone else here who putchased a JL. With that logic, every new JL buyer should be entitled to a free lifetime warranty because most JLs have crappy welds and steering. Obviously he has been put through a great deal of inconvenience which is unfortunate. Maybe a free lifetime warranty would be a reward for his trouble. Can’t hurt to ask.

I would seriously consider a new JKUR if one can be found.

Even if you get a free lifetime warranty or purchase one for $2,000 online, you are still inconvienced when your JL break downs due to a faulty aux battery or other electronics. Having to deal with tow trucks and the service department is the pits.
Agreed, can't hurt to ask. Some JL owners on this forum said that they got a free lifetime warranty as part of their original JL to sweeten / close the deal and there wasn't anything wrong, etc. So it would seem as a nice gesture especially because his new JL replacement has obvious problems the dealer should of caught, like the popped out dash part. If I were the dealer, I'd give him the lifetime warranty just so he doesn't write a bad review on Google reviews alone, which would cost the dealer a heck of a lot more than the cost of the lifetime warranty. Personally, if it has the steering problem that most dealers won't admin exist and FCA says "operates as designed" (even though even the NCJeepn73 said his original JL steering was way better), I'd punt and ask to either look at a different JL replacement, test drive it to make sure it doesn't have the steering problem. If not, get the cash back, and consider a 2019 JL, after test driving it for bad steering (I heard that the 2019 JL has the same part number for the steering box as the 2018 JL), raising it on the rack look for bad welds, etc.

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Agreed, can't hurt to ask. Some JL owners on this forum said that they got a free lifetime warranty as part of their original JL to sweeten / close the deal and there wasn't anything wrong, etc. So it would seem as a nice gesture especially because his new JL replacement has obvious problems the dealer should of caught, like the popped out dash part. Personally, if it has the steering problem that most dealers won't admin exist and FCA says "operates as designed" (even though even the NCJeepn73 said his original JL steering was way better), I'd punt and ask to either look at a different JL replacement, test drive it to make sure it doesn't have the steering problem. If not, get the cash back, and consider a 2019 JL, after test driving it for bad steering (I heard that the 2019 JL has the same part number for the steering box as the 2018 JL), raising it on the rack look for bad welds, etc.
The newer steering box is AC and possibly AD now. Also read in another thread the steering damper part # has been updated from AB to AC.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
I call bullshit!!!! Every new vehicle delivered to a dealer has to have an inspection. They are not supposed to be sold until prepped. Everything from Demons to Renegades have PDI performed. I'm sure you filled out the PDI form and filled it properly too.
I'm a member of alot of FCA forums. Many Demon owners requested no PDI and every dealer complied. They get paid anyway.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The newer steering box is AC and possibly AD now. Also read in another thread the steering damper part # has been updated.
Yes, the new version of the steering box is -AD for sure. I have it in my JL. The AD version came out in late August 2018.
Sponsored