Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
whats the difference in anti spin and limited slip differential and with anti spin does just one wheel on front and back turn and when it slips then other one kicks in?
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
They mean the same thing.

There are basically three types of diffs.
1. Open diff
2. Limted slip (anti spin)
3. Locking diff (rubicon). These are open diffs but can be locked in 4L to give posi traction front and rear.

Limited slip uses clutch packs to act sort of like a hybrid of open and locking diff.

In the Wrangler, anti spin diff is only an option for the rear, so it only affects the rear axle. Does not involve the front axle.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks, so on the Sahara on the front axle does both wheels pull all the time in 4L ?
No. It’s an open diff so if one wheel lifts off the ground, all the power will be sent to that wheel. Now with that said, all JLs and JKs have brake differential as part of the traction control. So if one wheel is spinning, the computer can apply brake to the spinning wheel which then causes power to be directed to the other wheel. There is debate on how well this works compared to a limited slip or locking diff.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
No. It’s an open diff so if one wheel lifts off the ground, all the power will be sent to that wheel. Now with that said, all JLs and JKs have brake differential as part of the traction control. So if one wheel is spinning, the computer can apply brake to the spinning wheel which then causes power to be directed to the other wheel. There is debate on how well this works compared to a limited slip or locking diff.
Does traction control works in 4L? In my other car, TC is disabled in 4L.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I talked to Dana and they said rear diff with "Anti Spin" or "Trac Loc" as the limited slip was called when we spoke,they said it's effect on traction was as if in a stuck situation you had 4 big guys pushing! The advantage of course it does not just work in 4WD low. It works whenever it's needed 2H, 4H or 4L..

I've had it in all my Wranglers and other Jeeps, I've had 27 (not all had limited slip)! I really like it especially in bad weather, just sayin'.

I have a rear elec. locker in my Cherokee Trailhawk and it's great but 4L only no help in regular bad weather driving. By the way guys the Cherokee TH will go any where our JKLUS, well, except you have to watch ground clearance! I bought the JL for me but my wife loves the JL so much I have to drive the Trailhawk!! Could be worse, like something other than a Jeep!!

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Does traction control works in 4L? In my other car, TC is disabled in 4L.
There is nothing stated in the owner’s manual that TC is disabled in 4L. They do suggest turning ESC off while off-roading.

From the manual.

“Traction Control System (TCS). This system monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, the TCS may apply brake pressure to the spinning wheel(s) and/or
reduce engine power to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS, Brake Limited Differential (BLD), functions similar to a limited slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. BLD may remain enabled even if TCS and ESC are in a reduced mode.”

Last edited:

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I think all great "stuff", I think Selec-Trac on the Wrangler is a definite maybe? It's not been tested on Wranglers has been used on other Jeeps for a long time. If you spend a lot of driving off road you'll be testing Selec-Trac. It also I believe ad an extra expense in repairs if abused? I've had a couple Grand Cherokees with Selec-Trac and quite a bit of moderate off road miles, they were fine.

I decided because now most of my driving is on road, only maybe 10% mileage off road I that Selec-Trac would be a good choice. Has worked out fine so far both on and off road. Kinda nice towards the end of last winter to set it and forget it!

This JLUS is my 27th Jeep since 1965 so what do I know?

Go Jeep!!!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Does the front and back axel work the same way with the anti-spin?
The anti-spin trac-lock limited slip diff is only an option for the rear. Open diff in the front. You will have TC brake limiting differential front and rear.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So, is there any way to change to lockers? Or do you have to buy the rubicon to get them?
Sure. May not be available now but aftermarket should supply lockers eventually. You would need lockers for JL D30 and D44 (non rubicon) narrow axles.

Actually, although the JL uses a new D30 axle, the front gears are exactly the same as the JK D30 gears. So if there is currently an aftermarket front locker for the JK D30 it might fit the JL D30 but not certain. Don’t know if the pumpkin internals are the same for both axles. Probably have to wait for the aftermarket manufacturers to release lockers specific to JL.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
No offense...but upon what are you basing that recommendation? Judging by the OP's comments so far, your assumption is probably correct...but we should probably ask him how he plans to use his Jeep before jumping to that conclusion.

Roky, what type of trails are you planning to run and do you believe it's necessary to have true 4 wheel drive where all 4 wheels pull when you need them to?
Ya no offence to you, but really, he said later not going to do rock crawling. So I think he will be fine with LSD and traction control. He wont need lockers for what he described. I'd take my Sahara with 33 on it 95% of the places a stock Rubicon would go.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's dependent upon what you do with the Jeep.

The Rubicon has selectable lockers, but no limited slip.

The Sport/Sahara can be ordered with limited slip, but no lockers.

Each system has pros and cons.

I will say that I've tested the standard Brake Limited Differential system on many trails and it works wonderfully. I rarely ever wish I had lockers. I don't rock crawl though...

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Ya...he said it "later"; after I asked him to qualify what he's looking for. That said, he also wants all 4 wheels to pull. If he wants that *all the time* (on demand obviously), then he needs lockers.
Obviously he doesn't, for what he described he is going to do with it. Maybe good advice would be to try what you have and see what it does.
Sponsored