Sponsored

JL 4H Auto found on Rubicon

Floating Melon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
I got a great interest in the new generation of Wrangler. When I read the information on the internet, I came across a video about an international version rubicon test vehicle, link down blow, here we can see the Rubicon equipped with 4h auto same as Sahara. This is different from the information I been reading in this forum. So the question is if that is the case, then will this 4h auto gear affect 4 low-speed in terms of 4: 1 torque amplification? After all 4h auto is Selec-trac II that only got 2.72:1 and Rubicon should be Rock-trac

Start at 12m 13s.
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I got a great interest in the new generation of Wrangler. When I read the information on the internet, I came across a video about an international version rubicon test vehicle, link down blow, here we can see the Rubicon equipped with 4h auto same as Sahara. This is different from the information I been reading in this forum. So the question is if that is the case, then will this 4h auto gear affect 4 low-speed in terms of 4: 1 torque amplification? After all 4h auto is Selec-trac II that only got 2.72:1 and Rubicon should be Rock-trac

Start at 12m 13s.
There's been a lot of sspeculation here that the European Rubicons would come with Selec-trac to meet new braking(?) regulations.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
What does braking have to do with a tranfercase ..
4 auto gives you the possibility of better traction when 4H wouldn't be appropriate (mixed conditions). But I haven't paid enough attention to know what new standards were being referred to.

Thomastko

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
4 auto gives you the possibility of better traction when 4H wouldn't be appropriate (mixed conditions). But I haven't paid enough attention to know what new standards were being referred to.
Yeah that part i know thats why i would like 4H auto but if it affects the ratio then idk

Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Euro Rubicons are much cooler looking IMO (aside from atrocious bumpers). Clear taillights with amber turn signals, sleeker CJ-esque hood design, and mud terrains really give it a different look.

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
I don't know why they would leave it out of the American market if they are already manufacturing it - it would make such a complete vehicle.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why they would leave it out of the American market if they are already manufacturing it - it would make such a complete vehicle.
Same could be said for diesels the last 10 years.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
European market is more sophisticated and populated. America manufacture to be able to compete needs to manufacture more sophisticated, developed, and engineered vehicles. They also need to provide multiple engine options. I know people will hate this comment but you don’t have to trust me just select UK as a region to build a ford, Jeep, or even a BMW and see what options and trims they have that ware never available for NA. I explain why they got it and the reason why we don’t as NA is very simple. It’s cheaper to manufacture a car with less development, less sophisticated mechanics and less options, and as long as the market will accep the product you are good to go.

Sponsored

AlexK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
This has been really bothering me for a while, and while I realise that in the absence of any real information all we can do is speculate, I hope you guys will allow me to vent.

This bothers me because it effectively signals the end of the Rubicon in Europe. Here in the UK, getting a Rubicon JK is hard enough at the best of times, and involves a convoluted 'special order' process, finding a dealer willing to go above and beyond, and takes many, many months.

Offering a 4H Auto mode requires use of the Selec-Trac transfer case, and in the JL that means the MP3022. While that's fine for many people, it is not a heavy duty t-case in the same way the Rubicon's NV241OR is. It's also 2.72:1 only.

In the JL, we know Jeep partners the MP3022 with CV joints which almost certainly rules out using the Rubicon's D44 axles, so that limits us to an open D30 up front and a D35 in the rear (unless we can spec Trac-Lok to get a regular D44).

Last but not least, the MP3022 is a physically longer t-case and - we assume - that's why in the US you can only order it in the 4-door Unlimited. That effectively means no 2-door Rubicon in Europe.

So with no NV241OR, no D44s, a 2.72:1 ratio, and 4-door only, that means in Europe the Rubicon is just a Sahara with a decal on the hood.

Incidentally, it doesn't help that Jeep's own specs are wrong - the press kit lists Selec-Trac as being 4:1, with 4.10 axles on Rubicon, and omits the 4H Auto mode. I've had Jeep confirm that all of these are incorrect.

What a mess!

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
Offering a 4H Auto mode requires use of the Selec-Trac transfer case, and in the JL that means the MP3022. While that's fine for many people, it is not a heavy duty t-case in the same way the Rubicon's NV241OR is. It's also 2.72:1 only.

In the JL, we know Jeep partners the MP3022 with CV joints which almost certainly rules out using the Rubicon's D44 axles, so that limits us to an open D30 up front and a D35 in the rear (unless we can spec Trac-Lok to get a regular D44).

Last but not least, the MP3022 is a physically longer t-case and - we assume - that's why in the US you can only order it in the 4-door Unlimited. That effectively means no 2-door Rubicon in Europe.

So with no NV241OR, no D44s, a 2.72:1 ratio, and 4-door only, that means in Europe the Rubicon is just a Sahara with a decal on the hood.

Incidentally, it doesn't help that Jeep's own specs are wrong - the press kit lists Selec-Trac as being 4:1, with 4.10 axles on Rubicon, and omits the 4H Auto mode. I've had Jeep confirm that all of these are incorrect.

What a mess!
And now? What do you think about the EU Rubicon? Not as bad as you thought.
Sponsored