Sponsored

Confirmed: Tread Lightly Discount (Affiliate Rewards Program) Applies to 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I have had luck getting a deal pretty close to done by the Internet and I have definitely eliminated a lot of dealers that way.

In the end I have always gone in to the dealership to close the deal. Not sure about the experience of others.
I've done this a couple of times, used the tool on the dealer web site to contact the Internet sales guy about the car, and handled the negotiation via email until time to finalize the deal. One time I went in to the dealership, one time they brought the car and paperwork to me. It's just another way to buy a car, and I didn't get any better deal than when I showed up with the FFA letter / code and did the deal in person, it was just a little slower because of the turnaround time (sales people don't check their email that often, so it took a couple of days).
Sponsored

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
I have had luck getting a deal pretty close to done by the Internet and I have definitely eliminated a lot of dealers that way.

In the end I have always gone in to the dealership to close the deal. Not sure about the experience of others.
The easiest way to do what it is that you want to do is build your vehicle call the dealership over the phone talk to the Desk man and order your vehicle, negotiate over the phone. Matter fact all you have to do is have your wholesale cost and email him he will email back you your order and cost the vehicle and you’re done

Cap'nMike

First Name
Cap'n Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, JKUWW
Everyone who is ordering a new Wrangler should take advantage of the affiliate reward discount. (Tread Lightly)

The program basically has FCA pay the dealer 2% of the invoice price if you have an affiliate reward number.
If you choose not to negotiate or the dealer won’t budge on the price, you as the seller will pay at most 1% under invoice and the dealer will receive 1% over invoice, thanks to the 2% from FCA.

When ordering my 2018 JKU, I went to a few different dealers and negotiated on the price as far below invoice as I could. Sometimes this was 3% or 4% below invoice.
I would not mention the affiliate reward discount til after the salesman and I had arrived at the lowest price. After I had negotiated down as far below invoice as I could, I would mention that I had an affiliate reward number, and they would always split the 2% discount with me, allowing me an additional 1% reduction in the price.

If we were at 3%, this would get the buyer (me) to a selling price of 4% under invoice, and the salesman to a selling price of 2% under invoice.

It was win win for both of us.

If you are already at 1% under invoice without the affiliate reward number, the number will get you to 2%, and the salesman back up to invoice.
It is silly for a dealer not to accept it, unless they are insisting on customers paying way above invoice.

The $100 on the membership and the $70 program fee saved me several hundred dollars.

Plus Tread lightly is a good organization, and they sent me a T-shirt.

Fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
When I ordered my 2014 Rubi X I called Sam Leman in Bloomington, IL. and told them I was going to order a new Jeep and I wanted it at 3% under invoice. (btw that is the hold back)
They called me back in 10 minutes and said they would do it.
While I was waiting I joined Tread Lightly, so when I took it to them (they get paid 2% for using it) I ended up getting the Jeep at 4% under invoice.
No deposit, they wrote it up and it went in as a "SOLD" unit so that guarantied the price if Jeep had an increase before it delivered.
They were great to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
I am from Chicago and talked to a Dealer on the sales team of Jack Phalen Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Countryside IL. He said that he never heard of the Tread Lightly deal and that most of those deals require you to be employed under a company or organization that is affiliated with Jeep in order to get the discount. He said he has been doing this for 7 years and hasn’t heard of it. Is this BS? Can I use Tread Lightly in Chicago? Do I need certain employer to get benefits of the program?

Sponsored

Fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
I am from Chicago and talked to a Dealer on the sales team of Jack Phalen Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Countryside IL. He said that he never heard of the Tread Lightly deal and that most of those deals require you to be employed under a company or organization that is affiliated with Jeep in order to get the discount. He said he has been doing this for 7 years and hasn’t heard of it. Is this BS? Can I use Tread Lightly in Chicago? Do I need certain employer to get benefits of the program?
Muddog, Even though I didn’t order mine yet but I did ask about the Tread Lightly discount from Sherman dodge in Skokie IL, the manager said he will honor the 1% discount. I’m still looking for a dealership to give me 4 or 3% under invoice. Wish me luck!!!

Fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
Everyone who is ordering a new Wrangler should take advantage of the affiliate reward discount. (Tread Lightly)

The program basically has FCA pay the dealer 2% of the invoice price if you have an affiliate reward number.
If you choose not to negotiate or the dealer won’t budge on the price, you as the seller will pay at most 1% under invoice and the dealer will receive 1% over invoice, thanks to the 2% from FCA.

When ordering my 2018 JKU, I went to a few different dealers and negotiated on the price as far below invoice as I could. Sometimes this was 3% or 4% below invoice.
I would not mention the affiliate reward discount til after the salesman and I had arrived at the lowest price. After I had negotiated down as far below invoice as I could, I would mention that I had an affiliate reward number, and they would always split the 2% discount with me, allowing me an additional 1% reduction in the price.

If we were at 3%, this would get the buyer (me) to a selling price of 4% under invoice, and the salesman to a selling price of 2% under invoice.

It was win win for both of us.

If you are already at 1% under invoice without the affiliate reward number, the number will get you to 2%, and the salesman back up to invoice.
It is silly for a dealer not to accept it, unless they are insisting on customers paying way above invoice.

The $100 on the membership and the $70 program fee saved me several hundred dollars.

Plus Tread lightly is a good organization, and they sent me a T-shirt.
CapnMike
I get membership fee of $100, but What is $70 program fee?

Fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
When I ordered my 2014 Rubi X I called Sam Leman in Bloomington, IL. and told them I was going to order a new Jeep and I wanted it at 3% under invoice. (btw that is the hold back)
They called me back in 10 minutes and said they would do it.
While I was waiting I joined Tread Lightly, so when I took it to them (they get paid 2% for using it) I ended up getting the Jeep at 4% under invoice.
No deposit, they wrote it up and it went in as a "SOLD" unit so that guarantied the price if Jeep had an increase before it delivered.
They were great to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Macaw1, would you please share ur guy’s name in the dealer so I can call him too? I’m in north side Chicago, I’m not sure if I want to drive all the way to Bloomington IL, but I can call and see what they can do.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
CapnMike
I get membership fee of $100, but What is $70 program fee?
That is a fee that gets charged for using Tread Lightly. If you look at the FFP price it is actually invoice - 1% + $75.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
When using the treadlighty 1% below invoice, does anyone know if the dealer gets any kickbacks? I thought I read somewhere that they get 2% back

Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase

Tread lightly is a good organization, and they sent me a T-shirt.
How does using a CDI# affect this process? It'll be my first time using discounts like this or the TL discount. Koon's offered TL members another $250 less than the 5% below invoice. I've negotiated with a sales manager by email/phone before, and I've negotiated with a regular salesman on the floor before. I don't expect much negotiating this time ... just a few calculations ... 5% below invoice, then another 1% below that. Should that be the case with CDI + TL? Would it make a difference to speak with a sales manager vs a floor guy?

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
How does using a CDI# affect this process? It'll be my first time using discounts like this or the TL discount. Koon's offered TL members another $250 less than the 5% below invoice. I've negotiated with a sales manager by email/phone before, and I've negotiated with a regular salesman on the floor before. I don't expect much negotiating this time ... just a few calculations ... 5% below invoice, then another 1% below that. Should that be the case with CDI + TL? Would it make a difference to speak with a sales manager vs a floor guy?
I asked a similar question earlier as I am eligible for EP. It does not look like you can use two discounts like this.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
When using the treadlighty 1% below invoice, does anyone know if the dealer gets any kickbacks? I thought I read somewhere that they get 2% back
That is my understanding too.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I am headed to another dealer today that advertised the 5% below invoice to see what rhey offer on my trade

Reactions: Fox

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Which membership option do I choose when signing up for a new Tread Lightly membership? Individual from $25 to $250
Sponsored