Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It is illegal in the state of CA to drive without a front bumper, however I'm familiar with law enforcement caring more about a front liscense plate attached to the vehicle. I have asked a few "PoPos" and it's to the officers discretion. I did get pulled over in Bel Air, CA because apparently it's a "thing" to commit crimes with paper plates. I had everything the officer asked for (liscense, registration, insurance) and no ticket. I asked if anything else was of concern (which I knew I didnt have fog lights or turn signals) and both officers said no. I took off my back bumper too! Rebel I know!!! I'll keep you posted if "no front bumper" or "no rear bumper" becomes ticketed
I can't attest to CA vehicle equipment laws, but you're fortunate to have had a friendly encounter with two (!) officers who told you nothing else was of concern even though you were in violation by driving without a front bumper. Not many of us would be so lucky in any state. They either chose to ignore it or were surprisingly unfamiliar with vehicle equipment laws. I'm a former police officer (Ohio) and was, at the very least, obligated to provide some type of warning for a minor infraction. It's probable cause to stop and not worth the inconvenience.

Anyways, as @BlackRook says, more power to you. When I swapped out my factory plastic bumper for steel, I was surprised at how much shiny stuff was exposed (this is my first Jeep). Without a front bumper, I'd be concerned about rear-ending a smaller vehicle, getting rear-ended, or having one back into me and damaging (or destroying) all those expensive shiny parts. Of course we do as we choose with our Jeeps, but running that risk ain't worth the vanity for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sierra_supersport_82
First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
So are you planning on keeping it bumperless? Seems like that's asking for a lawsuit from some "in a wreck, need a check" lawyer. Not to mention the lack of protection for your engine compartment and frame rails in the event of an accident.
No. Not keeping it bumperless. Found an amazing option at Metal Cloak :)

OP
OP
Sierra_supersport_82
First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
serious question, whats the risk with going with a stubby bumper?
No risk.

Ive already bought and installed a stubby. I like the vintage, bare minimum look (hence why Metal Cloak worked like a charm) and heavier bumpers also are not as efficient with gas mileage. I wanted something with a better level of protection/lighter alternative. This design ensures the winch is as low as possible for the best possible air flow through the Seven Slot grill.

So to answer your question, functionally and practicality (;

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I used to have a 2x6 has a front and rear bumper on my Volkswagen Van. I thought about ripping them down to a 1x6 as the weight was already too heavy, shouldn't have used treated lumber.

I hope everyone concerned about auto laws also abides by the speed limit at ALL times. ;-)

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
serious question, whats the risk with going with a stubby bumper?
No risk.

Ive already bought and installed a stubby. I like the vintage, bare minimum look (hence why Metal Cloak worked like a charm) and heavier bumpers also are not as efficient with gas mileage. I wanted something with a better level of protection/lighter alternative. This design ensures the winch is as low as possible for the best possible air flow through the Seven Slot grill.

So to answer your question, functionally and practicality (;
Weeeeeell... no risk unless you live in a state where stubbies are technically illegal (must extend "full width of car" in NJ). And if you have to pass through a vehicle inspection checkpoint for work everyday. So basically just me and the 5000 other Army employees in North Jersey... :cwl:
Sponsored