Sponsored

Rubicon vs. Sport S

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Emphasis on *want* vs *need*... Not that there is anything wrong with that... I'm pretty sure that the Porsches and other sports cars that I have owned fell under the "want" category instead of the "need" one... But, as we get older and see the end in sight, some of us get slightly more practical and decide that "need" has a bit more importance. Others, who maybe didn't get to experience it in their younger days end up deciding that "want" is more important.

In the end, it all boils down to, "Youth is wasted on the young"... :(
My 911 and other sport cars fall under the "need" category simply because they are addictive. Same with Wranglers apparently. Gotta have them! lol.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Budget is 50,000. I don't plan on doing any more mods. The Sport S with all of the add-ons I mentioned is the same price as the Rubicon with a leveling kit and 35's. I really do want the Jeep to be a little taller and more aggressive looking (that is my biggest goal) and I'm thinking that would be the Sport S. But I live at 6600ft and don't want to have to regear (especially not right away). I don't care whether it is an automatic or standard.
Do the Rubicon if both end up being the same price. The resale will be better.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
My 911 and other sport cars fall under the "need" category simply because they are addictive. Same with Wranglers apparently. Gotta have them! lol.
I had an '89 944 Turbo that I would be perfectly happy driving right now... Not as much horsepower or top speed as a later Porche that I owned, but it sure was a fun car and didn't have all the electric gimmicks that a lot of car have these days...

OK, maybe the cassette player would be a bit antiquated, but at my age, I can't appreciate a good sound system anyway, so it doesn't matter... :)

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an '87 944 Turbo that I would be perfectly happy driving right now... Not as much horsepower or top speed as a later Porche that I owned, but it sure was a fun car and didn't have all the electric gimmicks that a lot of car have these days...

OK, maybe the cassette player would be a bit antiquated, but at my age, I can't appreciate a good sound system anyway, so it doesn't matter... :)
There is truth to the old saying…it's more fun to drive a slow car fast then to drive a fast car slow. lol. Not to say the 944 Turbo was slow in it's day. I had a '86 944 Turbo in Guards Red with phone dial wheels. It drove great with the exception of the shifter throw being a little long. It was better balanced and more fun to drive then the 911 from the same era. The electronic advancements on cars are a welcomed improvement in my opinion. They help make everyone a better driver. Completely transformed how 911s drive. I prefer driving a modern 911 over the older models that would oversteer with throttle lift. The electronics give you the best of both worlds in many cars. It's like having 2 cars in one. Different modes for daily driving and a sharper, more aggressive mode for the race track. Can you tell I am a fan of technology…. as long as it is reliable. lol.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i have a base Sport on stock Rubi 33s with anti-slip and D44 rear. stock lift, for now. i took it wheeling and it kicked ass. id like to get some 35s for wheeling days, but not for DDing. i still notice the difference DD'ing on the 33s vs the stock 31.5s. it throws the trans off. i would definitely not want to DD on 35s with the stock gears. if you want to rock 35s for DD duty, i would recommend going with a Rubi. that or plan to do gears at least.

Sponsored

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I live at 6600ft and don't want to have to regear (especially not right away). I don't care whether it is an automatic or standard.
Considering the turbocharged 4 due to altitude?

OP
OP

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
Considering the turbocharged 4 due to altitude?
This is a good question. I don’t know what the power loss from the 3.6 would be here. I also know that the turbo only comes in an auto transmission. I have only kept a vehicle for four years. But feel like I keep searching for the one. I had a 2012 jku rubicon that I miss. I can’t say that about any other vehicle. However I only used the lockers and disconnects once and all I did was get more stuck. Other than gearing I believe the Sport S with small lift, winch, and 35’s will be all that I need.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
There is truth to the old saying…it's more fun to drive a slow car fast then to drive a fast car slow. lol. Not to say the 944 Turbo was slow in it's day. I had a '86 944 Turbo in Guards Red with phone dial wheels. It drove great with the exception of the shifter throw being a little long. It was better balanced and more fun to drive then the 911 from the same era. The electronic advancements on cars are a welcomed improvement in my opinion. They help make everyone a better driver. Completely transformed how 911s drive. I prefer driving a modern 911 over the older models that would oversteer with throttle lift. The electronics give you the best of both worlds in many cars. It's like having 2 cars in one. Different modes for daily driving and a sharper, more aggressive mode for the race track. Can you tell I am a fan of technology…. as long as it is reliable. lol.
Actually, it was an '89, not an '87... I didn't catch the typo last night when I posted that, but once you mentioned it, I saw it...

It looked exactly like this one:

1989-porsche-944-turbo.jpg

The '89 Turbo had the S2 series engine in it, so it was 247 HP, but with a small cross section and a low coefficient of drag, that was enough to give you some pretty good speed and quickness. The most I was ever able to get it up to was 164 mph. From what I gathered though, if you changed out the chip which increased the boost and removed the rev limiter, it would make it to 180 mph.

I always thought the potential for swapping ends on a 911 was "part of the charm" of owning/drive a 911. :) It separated the 911 driver from the mere mortals that drove lesser cars, right? :)

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I don’t know what the power loss from the 3.6 would be here. .
Rule of thumb is 3%/1,000ft, so that's roughly 20% loss (@6,600ft) compared to sea level for a N.A. engine.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
This is a good question. I don’t know what the power loss from the 3.6 would be here. I also know that the turbo only comes in an auto transmission. I have only kept a vehicle for four years. But feel like I keep searching for the one. I had a 2012 jku rubicon that I miss. I can’t say that about any other vehicle. However I only used the lockers and disconnects once and all I did was get more stuck. Other than gearing I believe the Sport S with small lift, winch, and 35’s will be all that I need.
Another poster (from Colorado) made comments about the V6 losing power at altitude. You may want to seriously consider the turbocharged 4-cyl to avoid this.

Sponsored

cork

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2DR
So I can either get a Rubicon then put 35's on it and a level kit or a Sport S Mopar lift, rims and 35's, and front bumper and winch. With those two options what would you do? It is 90% daily driver. The off roading won't be anything too crazy. Old logging and mining roads in the mountains in Wyoming, hunting, and getting to fly fishing spots. Thanks for any help.
I always get Rubicons thinking I won't change much. Then I start adding other brand components. That said, one reasonable strategy is to get a Rubicon for the gearing and other upgrades, and then if you want to change wheels, tires, bumpers (maybe fender flares) you can easily sell the Mopar OEM parts on Craigslist at a premium. I've had no challenges quickly selling my stuff. And, the financial result usually exceeds the cost of the other parts.

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s my 2018 Wrangler Sport S unlimited. 35’s RC 2.5 coil suspension lift Daily Driver with Superchip Flash cal JKS quick disconnect sway bar links. Rock trail everything. Love it!!

02CB60EB-C78D-410F-82E3-61AD9E8461B9.jpeg

9D6375A0-16E2-4A36-9835-42A788C6A0F9.jpeg

C6E6CFD1-A201-4F8A-83F0-7825E71D5059.jpeg

OP
OP

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
Here’s my 2018 Wrangler Sport S unlimited. 35’s RC 2.5 coil suspension lift Daily Driver with Superchip Flash cal JKS quick disconnect sway bar links. Rock trail everything. Love it!!

02CB60EB-C78D-410F-82E3-61AD9E8461B9.jpeg

9D6375A0-16E2-4A36-9835-42A788C6A0F9.jpeg

C6E6CFD1-A201-4F8A-83F0-7825E71D5059.jpeg
So if you don’t mind me asking what are you in the Jeep for with all of that.

Hooch1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150,
I’m in the same boat as udubjl. Great conversation and food for thought, folks. Love this forum.