Rear License plate mount

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Wanted to get everyones thoughts on where they intend on mounting their license plate now that the rear camera is smack in the middle of spare tire!
Plan on getting a low profile aftermarket steel rear so will need to move the license plate...
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
There are spare tire mounted license plate brackets but they may block the backup camera. I'm sure they will be modified to work with the camera somehow.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
There are spare tire mounted license plate brackets but they may block the backup camera. I'm sure they will be modified to work with the camera somehow.
Why not put it in the left bumper, where it's now located?

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
Cause OP plans on getting a low profile aftermarket rear bumper. Probably won't be enough room.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If you move the license plate...check with your state laws. Here in Minnesota, the rear license has to be illuminated at night,. So if you move the plate, you will also have to include a plate light. You probably will get away with not having it lit, until some cop decides he needs to fill his "quota".

Update: Just took delivery of a DV8 rear bumper that came with a heavy duty license plate bracket that bolts to the far left side of the bumper. No lights came with it. So I bought a couple of LED license plate bolts.
They bolt the plate to the bracket and the bolts are hollow with LED lights.

Last edited:

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I think it would be easy to fab up something yourself from stuff found in a local hardware store. Here's what I'd do; pull off the two acorn nuts holding the spare above the camera, replace with open conical nuts. Then get a couple metal brackets, might have to do some sheet metal work with some tin snips, then mount that the the two studs then use the plate itself across the brackets. I'd forgo the light, if the plate is visible enough most cops won't bother, but as always, YMMV. (I don't have a plate light on my old pickup and I've never been hassled in 23 years.) I don't know how to post photos on a forum since photobucket went offline or started charging or somesuchthing otherwise I'd post a couple pics of what I'm describing.

Short Version: License plate on a homemade mount above the camera should be easy.

OP
OP
Mattyp1214

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Posted this awhile back, has anyone come up with any other solutions for relocating you license plate and having a light on it?

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Posted this awhile back, has anyone come up with any other solutions for relocating you license plate and having a light on it?
Wondering the same thing. We upgraded our bumper and would like to keep the license plate near it's OEM location (left rear) not on the spare tire. Has anyone used a JK license plate bracket on a JL? Or know of a bracket that could mount to an aftermarket bumper?
Sponsored