OP

strebeld

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Leaning toward the JK Rubicon. It's got everything I want, plus a pretty good deal at 38K. Would like a JL, but it will break the bank when I add all the features I want. Can always trade up in a few years time.

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Really comes down to your budget and preference.

JK is definitely cheaper, then again JL is priced accordingly based on the improvements and advancements.

Leaning toward the JK Rubicon. It's got everything I want, plus a pretty good deal at 38K. Would like a JL, but it will break the bank when I add all the features I want. Can always trade up in a few years time.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
If it’s JK Rubi vs JL sport, I get the sport. You can build the JL from sport to Rubi, but you can’t build a JK in to a JL

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
I'm on the fence as well...JKs have been produced for a decade and they're about as reliable as an FCA product can be.
I've watched every video thus far and I have no doubt the JLU is a more refined Jeep in nearly every way.

My 2 main decision points are...
1) Is a JLU truly worth spending $5-7K more (JKU Sport S to JLU Sport S)??..discounts are pretty good right now.
2) What are the chances FCA gets the JLU perfect and the first year has no issues??..i've always said i'd never buy a first run model year.

I'm leaning for a heavily discount JK...there are dealerships with 80-100 JKUs (17/18s) on the lot with JLs now arriving. They have to be ready to move them...
I agree with both of those points.

I'd add a 3rd and 4th point, that while the JL is better on paper, aesthetics are not. That is pure opinion, and in the eyes of the beholder.

Also the vast aftermarket selection for parts means you can buy one and build it 1,000,000 different ways, right away. That would be enough to sway me, and one of the reasons I love the wrangler. That way you can skip the first year hiccups if any occur and get one later down the line. Then funnel all that money saved directly towards your build.

Sponsored

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I mean, sure, aesthetics are subjective...but wow, the JK is just so bland.
Especially when you've seen the JL! (at least the pictures) Can't wait to see one in person.....:rock:

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I never really bothered to pinpoint what I disliked about the JK after getting my LJ, but I've been thinking more about it lately with the JL out. Basically the JK seems like it had all the character flattened out of it: flat hood, rectangular grille. No wonder people went crazy with those infernal "angry grilles" and aftermarket hood options.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Looking at buying my first Jeep! A dealer has a good deal on a new 2017 Rubicon all decked out. My question is it worth waiting for the JL even though I'll only be able to fit the Sport\Sahara into my budget with the JL? Anything other thing JK owners will be severly missing out in the JL?
Many, improvements in the JL. Get the JL.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
^^^^ get the JL you can build sport JL in to a Rubi but you can't build a JK in to a JL
Sponsored