Sponsored

Is FCA Looking to Get More Women Interested in Wranglers?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
He is a Brummy, but he has more of a London (not Cockney) accent from living there. He hates the Birmingham accent. The majority of people who ask where he is from tend to think he is Australian though, so you are definitely unique :)
lol! I wouldn't go that far off.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I can think of one worse name......

Moist.
LOL! I am guessing you meant to post this in the Wrangler thread, but it flowed beautifully with the rest of the off topic happening here.

Edit: disregard. I read this after the post about why the Jeep model is called the Wrangler. I totally forgot this was originally about the color name being bikini since I have gone so far off base that I am in Narnia now. :facepalm:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! I am guessing you meant to post this in the Wrangler thread, but it flowed beautifully with the rest of the off topic happening here.

Edit: disregard. I read this after the post about why the Jeep model is called the Wrangler. I totally forgot this was originally about the color name being bikini since I have gone so far off base that I am in Narnia now. :facepalm:
Heh, Narnia would be a nice place to be.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
This is after it was cut. It grew out oddly just before this, and it ended up all business in the front and party in the back--like the El Camino of haircuts. :D
I think its been long enough now that the El Co might be cool again...

Sponsored

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Moist... yea, that one always gets mixed reactions. It is situationally good or bad lol!
When did this turn into a Narnia thread!? The lion is pretty cool imo.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
This thing is so "chic'd" up it's unreal. Cute-c little jeep Easter eggs all over the place, separate climate control,in the back seats too, insulating properties, cute interiors, vanity mirrors for makeup, garage door openers, 4 doors and a hatch for grocery's, just on and on.

It's no longer the 4 wheel utilitarian rig that gave it much of its "charm". It was no frills, light weight, get the job done rig. It's also very heavy now compared to yesteryear's no frills machine. Now it's a foofy (fat) chic machine.

But I like it, and wouldnt go back, chic crap and all or maybe because of the chic crap. I'm old likely low T so there is that. lol The jeep no doubt lost some of it's "charm" with the cute-c stuff. My wife wouldnt own or want to drive my CJ or TJ but she thinks the JL is adorable and wants to borrow it to drive to work. This kind of sickens me a bit. lol

The genius of the new foofy JL is that while it's more a sit down to pee vehicle it also still gets the job done and without a doubt the most capable off road vehicle jeep has produce, or (unfortunately) any manufacturer has produced. They hit a sweet spot for both genders. Sales have gone up BIG, the jeep wave has long since been ridiculous, you used to be different and the wave was an acknowledgement of that. Now everyone has em.

Smart.

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I hardly think that women who might take the jeep offroad are going to want a jeep called bikini. Yes your 50 shades reading soccer moms wanting mall crawlers might but women who pride themselves in doing anything a male can do won't. I work with women's pro and collegiate athletes and most would be turned off by the thought of their jeeps color being called bikini.
Thinking it's more group think in that segment. The thought of anything being gender specific likely riles that group. Others arent likely that sensitive and as stated the name was probably market tested to insensitive females. ;)

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I think its been long enough now that the El Co might be cool again...
They were NEVER cool. Chevelle, yes. El Camino...ewww.

Moist... yea, that one always gets mixed reactions. It is situationally good or bad lol!
When did this turn into a Narnia thread!? The lion is pretty cool imo.
You would be *shocked* to know that I am so permanently off topic on everything ever that I was actually put in charge of the off topic section in the first car forum I belonged to. :blush:

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This thing is so "chic'd" up it's unreal. Cute-c little jeep Easter eggs all over the place, separate climate control,in the back seats too, insulating properties, cute interiors, vanity mirrors for makeup, garage door openers, 4 doors and a hatch for grocery's, just on and on.

It's no longer the 4 wheel utilitarian rig that gave it much of its "charm". It was no frills, light weight, get the job done rig. It's also very heavy now compared to yesteryear's no frills machine. Now it's a foofy (fat) chic machine.

But I like it, and wouldnt go back, chic crap and all or maybe because of the chic crap. I'm old likely low T so there is that. lol The jeep no doubt lost some of it's "charm" with the cute-c stuff. My wife wouldnt own or want to drive my CJ or TJ but she thinks the JL is adorable and wants to borrow it to drive to work. This kind of sickens me a bit. lol

The genius of the new foofy JL is that while it's more a sit down to pee vehicle it also still gets the job done and without a doubt the most capable off road vehicle jeep has produce, or (unfortunately) any manufacturer has produced. They hit a sweet spot for both genders. Sales have gone up BIG, the jeep wave has long since been ridiculous, you used to be different and the wave was an acknowledgement of that. Now everyone has em.

Smart.
Bob: We can both agree that FCA remains true to the core purchaser of the rig and isn't likely to incorporate a "flower holder" (said void of editorial, I speak simply of what the market wants) into the JL as a standard feature, like what was seen in the VW Beetle. But that said, you can bet FCA did considerable market research about what features to offer both as standard and upgrade.

FCA walks a fine line as it incorporates features into a rig originally focused on just off road capability, and not lose that tradition, while it steps into today's market of features. Ironically, many of the Easter eggs you refer to had intention on showcasing that tradition to its core no less than other markets might find them cutsy.

The reality is as FCA seeks to position the Wrangler in part as a vehicle that SUV buyers (e.g. Ford Explorer) might consider, it's forced to provide some of the features found in these rigs to do so, all while remaining reasonably price competitive while throwing considerable portions of that price into off road capabilities the competition doesn't have. It's a fine line to walk.

Additionally, the classic buyer often faces his own need to sell the purchase to his (dare I say more sensible) better half, who remembers that greater priority exists in taking their kids places, than "Moab." So indirectly, some of the sale needs to be to her as well through creature comforts that marketing focus groups with women reveal.

Speaking of which, we need look no further than here for evidence that the vastly male dominated replies to this post
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-jl-u-had-but-doesnt.2325/page-8#post-408826
suggest us guys wanting the bells in whistles no less, if not more, from power to A/C seats. So your not alone in willingness to accept, dare I say embrace those features.

For that reason, and my belief that both genders buy things they want, not crap, I'm hesitate to call it any gender's crap -- although I do appreciate where you were coming from. If my wife referred to some accessory I bought for my rig as "guy crap" I would be more apt to agree than be offended.

Sponsored

mjsull

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Auto, Granite Crystal, Tan leather, Black Hard Top w/ Headliner, Steel Bumpers, LEDs, Cold Weather, Infotainment, Safety and Tow Group, Remote Start, Proximity Entry, Mopar Mats
All I can say is that of the dozens of my friends who've owed Wranglers over the years ~80% have been women. And they don't baby their rigs.

P.S. My 2018 JLUR is my first Wrangler.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They were NEVER cool. Chevelle, yes. El Camino...ewww.

You would be *shocked* to know that I am so permanently off topic on everything ever that I was actually put in charge of the off topic section in the first car forum I belonged to. :blush:
Bet I’m not shocked :)

ShariJoy

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sahara JLU
I love purple and as a result most of what I own is purple. However, not my jeep. It's black. I did, however, have very subtle purple swirls hand-painted on it to discourage anyone thinking that it might be my husband's jeep (and to give me my purple fix). When I bought my new wheels (also black) and tires, I specifically told the salesman that I wanted it to look somewhere between Barbie (the purple swirls) and GI Joe (aggressive wheels). I'm not judging anyone who wants a Barbie jeep anymore than I'd judge a GI Joe jeep - it just wasn't what I wanted. I do think Bikini was totally marketed to the females. Why else would they name it that? I'm with TaiMc, the name makes me cringe.

Mom2SNSH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I'd say that when I first saw the color "bikini" I immediately thought FCA was targeting the female audience. I mean, most men don't wear Bikini's although, many of them like to see females wear them. Either way, it seems to me that the term "bikini" is definitely targeting my gender. Totally agree with you on this.

I wouldn't buy a Teal-looking Jeep because I don't like Teal. I like green, and so that's why I got the Mojito. I also am a bit different from the stereotype of a female that wants a "mall-crawler". Before I bought my Jeep and joined this forum, I had never heard of that term before (I HATE the mall and I'm not a social media junkie that lives for the "what's in" internet lingo; I got better things to do).

I bought a Wrangler because:

#1 I love animals and nature so naturally, a Wrangler is all about that and is capable of being in the wilderness!
#2 I wanted a vehicle that can withstand flood waters in my city and off-road on property that my family owns.
#3 I wanted to own something different from the many clones being driven on the roads, as that's how I've always been...I love being odd, and am extremely comfortable being different.

So just to reply to some of the other comments I'm seeing around these forums about the "misconceptions" of why females are buying Jeep Wranglers, for me it could not be further from the truth...
Preach. Fellow Mojito female here!

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I love purple and as a result most of what I own is purple. However, not my jeep. It's black. I did, however, have very subtle purple swirls hand-painted on it to discourage anyone thinking that it might be my husband's jeep (and to give me my purple fix). When I bought my new wheels (also black) and tires, I specifically told the salesman that I wanted it to look somewhere between Barbie (the purple swirls) and GI Joe (aggressive wheels). I'm not judging anyone who wants a Barbie jeep anymore than I'd judge a GI Joe jeep - it just wasn't what I wanted. I do think Bikini was totally marketed to the females. Why else would they name it that? I'm with TaiMc, the name makes me cringe.
Shari, your purple color kindred spirit here is @MALL R8D Michelle https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ttest-car-is-the-jeep.4100/page-3#post-339633 …. if you change your mind to green, it's Tai @TaiMc :)
Sponsored