Sponsored

Should I buy this 2018... Or order 2019 JL?

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
if it's a business reason why you need to spend the money before year end, or if it's for income tax purposes, best to just buy off the lot as a special order won't likely get to you on time.

i ordered my JLR in mid july, just got confirmation today from dealer that it should be at the dealership early to mid next week.

when i ordered it, the dealer said typically about two months to get it here. well, it's been three months, almost to the day, going on next weeks delivery.

glad that you found one. is it the same one that you seen at the dealership? ocean blue sahara? with 6 speed? nice that the dealership had a stick on the lot. not many sticks go there anymore, especially a four door with stick.

congrats, and throw up a pic, we all like pics.
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Tread Lightly is a great organization. They have various levels of membership. The $100 membership has a bonus. It qualifies you to buy a FCA product like a Wrangler for 1%-under invoice without haggling. Some dealers will let you stack the discount so you can get 5%-7% below invoice. Attached is a link to Tread Lightly and to the master thread on Tread Lightly.

https://www.treadlightly.org/about-us/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rogram-applies-to-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl.2384/
All of this is correct, but before you spend the $100 also check out FCA Affiliate Rewards. Approx 1,000 companies qualify for the same 1%-under invoice, so if you happen to work for them, you're in luck as you won't have to the pay the $100 or wait a month. But if you don't work for one of these companies, Tread Lightly is a great backup option.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
:cwl: . . . yes it is a laughing / crying situation, and it hasn't gotten better (recently) ! But, you'll never know it when walking up & down the halls - LOTS of new Posters with "self applause" and "fantastic new achievements" to Better Serve Our Nations Finest ! B.S. ! My particular V.A. Hospital has Lost more good Doctors in Critical Departments (oncology, Radiology to name 2) than the few "ok" ones that have come on board. I had to go to the Urgent care - went on a (slow day?) this past Sunday at 8:30am. 3 people ahead of me - all taken care of (phase 1); still it took till 9:30-ish to get my phase 1 interview with a "nurse" ( this guy was rude, cocky and obnoxious) who, it was quite apparent, wanted his 3 day weekend instead of being at work !
But on the bright side, when I pulled into the parking lot, I parked next to an Older (2-dr) Wrangler. It was beat up but the paint was good and the hard top usable, ha ! Gets better, cause when I finally left (~12:30) after phase 2 & 3 - X-RAYS & DOCTOR CONSULT + PHARMACY - I walk out to My 2016 WK2 and see 3 more Wranglers ! ! Yup and all 3 were Older versions (2-dr) that have seen better days, but one was a JK with some mods. There I was surrounded by 4 Wranglers - felt like I died and went to Jeep-Heaven ! ? Sure wish I had my camera or phone with me . . . it could of been a very unusual picture moment ! This has been a TRUE & Factual story. :clap: . Oh, and to stay on topic, let me just add that I've decided to Wait - just a bit -see what the 2019's have to offer !

Fully Appeciate your comments .

IMO the VA is itself comotose , and ought to be completely cancelled , so we can start over with a competent medical and benefits system . The first step ought to be to hire USA veteran doctors and staff , who graduated in the upper half of their class . ( Unlike who they have .)

On the other hand , I've met some outstanding veterans ( and their Jeeps ) .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
There are smart people in Auburn Hills
Especially the Quality Control people who see no need to inspect for solid frame welds and normal steering before delivery . "Smart people" admiring themselves in their mirrors all day and giggling with their smart phones .

Last edited:

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Especially the Quality Control executives who see no need to inspect for welds and steering normalcy before delivery . "Smart people" admiring themselves in their mirrors all day .
Dude, really? The current estimate is that there are only 18,000 vehicles slated for inspection, which is around 10% of 2018 Wranglers produced. And that doesn't mean there are 10% with faulty welds - it just means that 10% could potentially have issues, and they expect around 4% of those to have real issues. That is under 1,000 Jeeps and approx 0.5% of all Wranglers made this year. And also worth noting to date there have been exactly zero accidents caused by these welds - this is a preemptive fix.

Or let me summarize: just quit being a troll. You're not very good at it.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Dude, really? The current estimate is that there are only 18,000 vehicles slated for inspection, which is around 10% of 2018 Wranglers produced. And that doesn't mean there are 10% with faulty welds - it just means that 10% could potentially have issues, and they expect around 4% of those to have real issues. That is under 1,000 Jeeps and approx 0.5% of all Wranglers made this year. And also worth noting to date there have been exactly zero accidents caused by these welds - this is a preemptive fix.

Or let me summarize: just quit being a troll. You're not very good at it.
You are welcome . I highlighted inspect for solid frame welds and normal steering before delivery for your benefit .

Again : inspect ... before delivery . Got it ?

Thank you .

Last edited:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
Especially the Quality Control people who see no need to inspect for solid frame welds and normal steering before delivery . "Smart people" admiring themselves in their mirrors all day and giggling with their smart phones .
I think 'we two' have a penchant for . . . "the sarcasm" ! Yes?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I think 'we two' have a penchant for . . . "the sarcasm" ! Yes?
Well , I have spent time explaining to bosses , which has required a lot of effort . Bosses aren't too smart , and sometimes I need to repeat and emphasize . But they finally get it . Bosses usually don't do the actual work , so they are usually out of it .

In the Army , the bosses listened more closely than in civilian life , for obvious reasons .

One delusion of civilian bosses is they think they have accomplished something by holding a meeting , lol .

For example , FCA execs will have a meeting to discuss marketing success ; but they will never have a meeting to discuss pre-delivery inspection of frame weld and steering control issues .

By the way , I like your color selection of "Recon Green" . Myself , I was "Recon-on-Edge" .

OP
OP

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue
Unfortunately, out of town right now... left the New Baby at home... pictures will follow once I return.

Sal

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
If it makes any difference, the trackbar weld on my 8/26 build JLUR looks a lot better than the ones I've seen posted on here over the last few months.

IMG_0430.jpg

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 on order with dual tops. I’ll sell you my soft top when I get it, if you’re interested.
What's your asking price on that top?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It's actually worse , because they were welded off-the-line by technology robots . Any 5 year old knows to follow the line with his crayon .
You obviously weren't in Kindergarten with me... none of us could color in the lines lol.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well , I have spent time explaining to bosses , which has required a lot of effort . Bosses aren't too smart , and sometimes I need to repeat and emphasize . But they finally get it . Bosses usually don't do the actual work , so they are usually out of it .

In the Army , the bosses listened more closely than in civilian life , for obvious reasons .

One delusion of civilian bosses is they think they have accomplished something by holding a meeting , lol .

For example , FCA execs will have a meeting to discuss marketing success ; but they will never have a meeting to discuss pre-delivery inspection of frame weld and steering control issues .

By the way , I like your color selection of "Recon Green" . Myself , I was "Recon-on-Edge" .
#MeToo -- Wrangler specifically needs to bring back "some-sorta-green," soon, Recon suites the bill just fine, or any similar "military-ish" green/brown from days-of-your ! Of course a name change, to protect the innocent, would be prudent . . . :) .

See, you should of joined the Navy . . . we NEVER had ANY issues with management . . . AND we had that Great Color . . . Destroyer Gray to look at every day, oh, and also in the fray was the "Ocean Blue" (by many other names as well) ! :like: :clap: :) .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
#MeToo -- Wrangler specifically needs to bring back "some-sorta-green," soon, Recon suites the bill just fine, or any similar "military-ish" green/brown from days-of-your ! Of course a name change, to protect the innocent, would be prudent . . . :) .

See, you should of joined the Navy . . . we NEVER had ANY issues with management . . . AND we had that Great Color . . . Destroyer Gray to look at every day, oh, and also in the fray was the "Ocean Blue" (by many other names as well) ! :like: :clap: :) .
Our tropical jungle green pants and shirts actually became green-brownish with the mud-water seeping in , like permanently .

Maybe the JL stingray-gray color is similar to the haze-gray navy color ?

Tank green was an o.k. color , but too shiny . Myself , I'd prefer a flat green with no shine .

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Our tropical jungle green pants and shirts actually became green-brownish with the mud-water seeping in , like permanently .

Maybe the JL stingray-gray color is similar to the haze-gray navy color ?

Tank green was an o.k. color , but too shiny . Myself , I'd prefer a flat green with no shine .
So that tells me you were on the Pacific Front, vice Europe, or am I going back to far ? I'm not old enough to place wages for that, ha, and fortunately (or not) I avoided the "Nam" thing - My 20+ yrs are from the '80's Cold War > ! Truth be told, I was a "late-bloomer," (perhaps some guilt, perhaps some personal misfortune . . . but I "volunteered" when I was 31 ! No, it wasn't a Law or Criminal issue . . . I've Always been a "good boy" ! Can't even recall the last time I got pulled over - decades ago . . . KNOCKING ON WOOD right now !
Yup haze-gray, battleship gray, destroyer gray . . . no matter what you call it or code it, it has been pretty darn close to Navy ship color all along; without the shine ! Obviously the shine was / is a huge problem "in War," but I actually like the shine, but in a clear coat ! Much prefer that over a Pearled or Metallic look . Much like my Recon Green clear coat . . .

P1000168.JPG

That was new and now nature and "nuts" have added some swirl marks and door dings ! the door dings by the parking lot "nuts" I HATE, and the off road, close-encounters swirl marks I'm "coping" with for now ! But my "Reconizer" will make someone Happy after I get it all buffed out and repaired, it'll look like new with very few miles on it for a 2016 !
Sponsored