Sponsored

Report: Jeep Wrangler Depreciation is Lowest (Best Resale Value) of All Vehicles [Updated 2019]

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Updated with iSeeCars' 2019 Report:

iSeeCars has published its 2019 report ranking the vehicles with the highest and lowest depreciation and like last year's report, the Jeep Wrangler tops the list with the lowest five-year depreciation percentage (five years after sale). The 4-Door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited only sees a 30.0% depreciation after five years while the 2-Door Jeep Wrangler is predicted to depreciate 31.5%.

For comparison, the average car depreciation over the first five years is 49.6 percent

According to iSeeCars: Jeep models account for the top two spots on the list, with the four-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited having the lowest five-year depreciation closely followed by its two-door counterpart, the Jeep Wrangler. “Jeep Wranglers are known for retaining their value for reasons including their ruggedness, durability, and iconic design,” said Ly. “Because of Jeep’s loyal following, their demand outstrips supply in the used car marketplace leading to high resale values.”

2019 Report

Jeep Wrangler Depreciation Report.png

For comparison, here are the vehicles that depreciate the most.

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 8.57.20 AM.png

2018 Report:

iSeeCars has just published its 2018 report on the vehicles with the highest and lowest depreciation. After analyzing 4.3 million new and used cars, the Jeep Wrangler tops the list of lowest depreciating vehicles (five years after sale). The average new vehicles loses 50.2% of its value after five years, but the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited only depreciate 27.3% after five years!

The new vechicles that retain the most value after five years are SUVs and trucks, while electric vehicles and luxury sedans depreciate the most, according to the study.

Here's what the report had to say about the Jeep Wrangler:

"Jeep earned the top two spots on the list, with the four-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited having the lowest five-year depreciation followed by its two-door counterpart, the Jeep Wrangler, by a fraction of a percentage point. “Jeeps are known for retaining their value due to their enduring popularity, as well as their durability and performance across all terrains."

Jeep-Wrangler-Depreciation.jpg

And in case you're wondering, here's a chart showing the highest depreciating vehicles.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 9.32.50 AM.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I don't think the report even does justice to the extent Wranglers don't depreciate.

Here's why I think so. A report like this, for it to truly convey the extent to which a vehicle's depreciation is reduced, needs to include just how many of this vehicle type were produced: the presumption being the more made, the more supply, and all other things equal, the lower the price paid in the used market.

Tons of Wranglers have been produced; so many more than many of the other vehicles on the list of least depreciating vehicles. I can only imagine how much, all else equal, a Wrangler would fetch in the market if its supply was limited by less production.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I have owned 4 of the top 10. I’ll say this- the report isn’t wrong. When you have a low depreciation vehicle, i don’t mind looking to trade when I get the whim. Those on the bad list just hate their life if they ever change their minds...

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I have owned 4 of the top 10. I’ll say this- the report isn’t wrong. When you have a low depreciation vehicle, i don’t mind looking to trade when I get the whim. Those on the bad list just hate their life if they ever change their minds...
The flipside is that used luxury sedans are great buys (if you have the means to maintain/repair them without getting gouged by a dealer), but used SUVs/trucks are a poor deal (might as well just buy new).

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@hutchman; their report shows the F-150 depreciating by 44.1% after five years. It ranks #7 (out of 7) on their list of light duty trucks.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
@hutchman; their report shows the F-150 depreciating by 44.1% after five years. It ranks #7 (out of 7) on their list of light duty trucks.
I've owned a couple of Fords over the years, but will never own another. I think they build a good truck, but I just don't like them. I do find it interesting a Ram PU holds more value.

Thanks for the info!

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This is off MSRP? So the pickups that discount $10k crushes residual vs Msrp?

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@hutchman; I’m not a ford man self...never had any real problems out of them...they just aren’t for
me I guess. I do wonder though, why they didn’t include the Nissan Titan or the Honda Ridgeline. Not really fans of either, but it would interesting to see where they fall...

Sponsored

Aimless1

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW K1600 GTL & Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Retired
@hutchman; I’m not a ford man self...never had any real problems out of them...they just aren’t for
me I guess. I do wonder though, why they didn’t include the Nissan Titan or the Honda Ridgeline. Not really fans of either, but it would interesting to see where they fall...
Don't have numbers but empirically the Ridgeline holds its value well.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I say this tongue-in-cheek, but given the recently declining stock market over the past few days, I may need to invest in Scrambler futures instead. If this is how little Wranglers depreciate, with one on every corner, can you image how Scramblers, slated by FCA for a limited production run, might appreciate in value?

Last edited:

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
I say this tongue-in-cheek, but given the recently declining stock market over the past few days, I may need to invest in Scrambler futures instead. If this is how little Wranglers depreciate, with one on every corner, can you image how limited production Scramblers might appreciate in value?
I wish you were a CFP and could put this comment on official letterhead, I would then get congress to approve another vehicle.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
This is off MSRP? So the pickups that discount $10k crushes residual vs Msrp?
This is a very important point. Residual vs. MSRP is a meaningless stat, but I believe that is what the rankings track. If so, it's actually the half ton pickups that are the 'slowest depreciating', because you can get insane discounts on them (20% isn't unusual during those 'Red Tag' or whatever sales).

Good luck getting better than 10% off a Wrangler or Taco.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
FCA has bookends on this list. That's kind of impressive for a company that builds vehicles with "known" quality issues.

I wonder where the F150 is........?
That's exactly what I was wondering myself !
Sponsored