First look at production 2.0L 4-Cylinder Turbo Hurricane engine

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
i got my info from this forum + if the turbo is water cooled + twin scroll with a twin scroll manifold configuration it should be good IF everything else is up to snuff!!! time will tell so bring on the beta testers!!!
Sponsored

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
i got my info from this forum + if the turbo is water cooled + twin scroll with a twin scroll manifold configuration it should be good IF everything else is up to snuff!!! time will tell so bring on the beta testers!!!
The same ones who are testing the 8 spd that's been out since 2014 MY? You do realize this engine family has been in the Aflas for a couple years now right?

What are you so angry about?

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i don't get angry!! i am on permenant R+R relaxed + retired + enjoy discussions on various forums. since i prolly can't afford a new jeep pickup they will be well tested + used until i can, only 2 door manual shifted models apply!!!

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
I’m not pro/anti any particular choice, but the whole picture needs to be stated, not just the condensed “this is all good” “that is all bad”, or that any one solution will be good for every aspect. There will be some areas where each will excel and where all will have failings.

I’m not against any of the option, and only pro the one option that will likely never be offered, the HEMI, but the info needs to be balanced.

While, I’m not interested in the turbo for my use although the forced air is great for altitude, but I will make the effort to share info like possible turbo candidate on page 1 to help others who can benefit from that info, so that people who haven’t thought of this stuff before can see the bigger picture.

And yes, if incorrect I’ll admit it. Case in point the info from AllPar and others regarding the base engine and the Hurricaine.
If your using it for daily drive and on weekends going off-road in Cal which engine do you favor

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
I'm having trouble accepting the Hurricane psychologically because it's only 2.0 L and only has 4 cylinders.

I mean, it's bad enough having to accept a 3.6 L and only 6 cylinders.

Something deep inside of me says that a car isn't a car unless it has a 5.0L V8 (and then you can add your electric motors, turbos and superchargers to that).
I am having same trouble v6 vs 2.0 turbo help live in Cal use it as daily drive plus weekends off-road . Which engine have to get by May diesel not option . Which engine would I be happier with . Which engine will out perform the other

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
If your using it for daily drive and on weekends going off-road in Cal which engine do you favor
Depends on what type of off-roading. Trails that you are constantly moving over, like logging trails, etc. then the 2.0T will likely be fine and probably a better choice, also if you are cresting the Sierra Nevadas in California then the turbo will help maintain some power, and if stuck in traffic a lot as your daily driver then the BSG and small displacement may add up to a few bucks (though if you’re comparing MT 3.6 to Auto 2.0T then that’s a bit more bucks than just the 2.0T).

Now if you’re on slow moving trails that don’t get much air into the engine bay, added to possible river submersions, then I’d prefer the reliability and security of the 3.6L.

For me that slow moving aspect, and extreme cold are what have me questioning the 2.0T despite it’s altitude benefits (I’d gain about 12+% power right off the bat, before even heading inward/uphill).

Now I do like the potential of the BSG to help in my 15-30mins of traffic each way per day, and potential for it benefiting elsewhere (acceleration, hiding ESS, etc) therefore it is on my build list.

There are lots of benefits from all the engine options, just depends on your use case as to what fits best. If I was living in Tahoe instead of here, then the EcoDiesel would be at the top of my list without question. The initial and maintenance costs are a bit hard to swallow, especially considering my preferred Hemi option should be much cheaper if they ever bother to offer it, but it would be the perfect fit for me in that situation of the 3 planned options. However for up here, the 3.6 suits me.

For you, I think a bit of that depends on the type of off-roading you do in Cali, and also how confident you are in the 2.0T if you go far enough afield someone might not find you for a long time. Most people are on well travelled trails, so even then it won’t matter, other than a costly repair/towing bill. But many times when we go, we need chainsaws and axes etc to clear the trails, some of which we later find out are washed out by Spring runoff a few KMs in, those type of trails you’re putting a lot of faith in your gear (one of which is a Sat phone cause there ain’t no cell coverage in the interior or the far north).

Like I said, there’s a pretty good engine option for everyone, you just need to figure out what strengths & weaknesses play to you type of Jeepin’.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You're spreading misinformation. This turbo is not at all what is on this engine. Major OEMs don't just buy off the shelf consumer turbos. It is specific to this application. And as I said above, It's a twin scroll water cooled turbo nothing like what you shared
So inform us then. Post the proper turbo model with full specs.
Should be easier for you now with them having been out there for 4 months.

The one I posted was a guess, as stated in the post you quoted TWICE, based on the minimal visible info at the time (weeks prior to launch), before most reviewers even saw them in person, except for the select very few in NZ who reported nothing of substance on anything from the engines to the transmissions.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
You're spreading misinformation. This turbo is not at all what is on this engine. Major OEMs don't just buy off the shelf consumer turbos. It is specific to this application. And as I said above, It's a twin scroll water cooled turbo nothing like what you shared
Hi, would you also happen to know if this turbo comes with a ball bearing and an internal wastegate?
Where did you find this information?

TurboTodd

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.prodigyperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Shara 3.6 TurboCharged~2012 JK Sport TurboCharged~2017 Dodge Challenger 3.6 Twin-Turbo
Occupation
Director of Sales & Marketing
That turbo does sound about right. Disappointing. That’s about as small and cheap as it gets. Oh well! Would be nice to see a twin-scroll or ball bearing turbo for quick spool and low end torque. Of course there will always be aftermarket turbo options. That being said, this engine will still probably be an ecu flash away from 50hp.
Prodigy Performance will be working on some options for this 2.0L Turbo. Larger turbo, tune, etc... Stay tuned.

Sponsored

TurboTodd

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.prodigyperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Shara 3.6 TurboCharged~2012 JK Sport TurboCharged~2017 Dodge Challenger 3.6 Twin-Turbo
Occupation
Director of Sales & Marketing
Here is the Jeeper relevant part of this article from Mike O'Brien, Hyundai's vice president of product planning...

"'No replacement for displacement' is a fallacy," said Hyundai's O'Brien. "Our 3.3-liter V6 develops its peak torque at 4,900 rpm, while the peak torque of our 2.0-liter turbo is at 1,300 rpm, and then it's a flat line of output to 4,000."

The lower an engine's torque peak, the better a car can accelerate from a dead stop or up grades. "Enthusiast drivers love the swell of torque that comes without a downshift," adds O'Brien."

Key Take-away: Depending on the tune and other configurations, Turbo's provide peak power much sooner in the RPM range than superchagers.

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
twin scroll turbos are used a bit + internal wastegate is the norm, but ball bearing turbos are rarely OE except for high $$$$ vehicles. oil + water cooling are important for longevity along with top of line synthetic oils + frequent changes + of course REAL synthetic groups IV + V excell!!

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase