Sponsored

First road trip in the JL (quick report + pics)

gbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
TLDR; I went on a 1,200mi road trip and the Jeep was nearly flawless.

Background:
This JL is my first Wrangler after having owned a long list of VWs and Audis. I was ready for a Jeep two years ago, but decided the JL would be worth the wait. Finally picked up a 2-door last July and have been looking for reasons to drive it every chance I get. That said, it largely sits during the week and begs for weekend trips.

Since July, I’ve only added 950 total miles to the odometer. Last week, I went on a 1,200mi road trip from NorCal to Central Oregon and back. Here’s my quick report.

Positives:
  • Gas mileage was way better than I anticipated; according to the onboard, I managed 23 to 25mpg with mostly 65mph highway driving.
  • Overall driving comfort was really quite good; I added the Mtn Offroad dead pedal before leaving, but the seating position and seat quality left me feeling remarkably fresh after hundreds of miles between stops.
  • Despite relatively loose steering feel, highway manners were generally great and with easy lane tracking and stability, rain or shine.
  • The 8-speed auto was just fabulous; I’ve always driven manuals before the Jeep, and I’m completely sold on the quality of this auto.
  • After having pulled out the rear seats before the trip, utility and storage was off-the-charts fantastic for such a small vehicle.

Not-so-Positives:
  • The windshield is a bug magnet and collects debris like no other vehicle I’ve ever owned. Make sure you keep your wiper fluid full on those long trips!
  • The updated iOS / CarPlay with Google Maps was great, but the default volume for navigation guidance is simply too loud.
  • I picked up a couple small rock chips on the front of the rear fenders; seems like it’s just bound to happen with the front tires throwing things up and back.

All-in-all, I’m an even bigger fan of this JL after putting some solid road trip miles on her. I can’t wait for the next excursion! :)

Couple of pics below.

Jeep @ Tumalo Falls
43234610200_84ece40af7.jpg

Jeep on some random forest road
44188799325_3eb63b73de.jpg

Crater Lake
44418131224_96ddd01a68.jpg

Jeep @ Smith Rock
45139046281_f6579c3bbf.jpg

Tumalo Falls
45090067272_4e7566621b.jpg

Jeep @ Paulina
44153019425_59cc0acacf.jpg
Sponsored

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Glad to hear you had a nice trip. The pics are amazing, especially the leaf colors in that 1st one. Nice looking Rubicon as well.
Seeing those leaf colors, can't wait for cooler temps. High today is around 90*F & heat index near 100*F in TN.

Oh well, glad to see someone else out enjoying their Jeep & the great outdoors.
:like:

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Too bad you had to drive through such an ugly part of the US. (Fantastic Scenery Shots!)

Thanks for sharing the road test. I've owned 4 Jeeps over the years, starting with a CJ5 Laredo in 1981, it was a 79 I think. But Enjoyed them all, and my latest JLUR is easy to ride in as well; really are comfortable and easy to drive.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase

Background:
This JL is my first Wrangler after having owned a long list of VWs and Audis. I was ready for a Jeep two years ago, but decided the JL would be worth the wait. Finally picked up a 2-door last July and have been looking for reasons to drive it every chance I get. That said, it largely sits during the week and begs for weekend trips.

Since July, I’ve only added 950 total miles to the odometer. Last week, I went on a 1,200mi road trip from NorCal to Central Oregon and back. Here’s my quick report.

Positives:
  • Gas mileage was way better than I anticipated; according to the onboard, I managed 23 to 25mpg with mostly 65mph highway driving.
  • Overall driving comfort was really quite good; I added the Mtn Offroad dead pedal before leaving, but the seating position and seat quality left me feeling remarkably fresh after hundreds of miles between stops.
  • Despite relatively loose steering feel, highway manners were generally great and with easy lane tracking and stability, rain or shine.
  • The 8-speed auto was just fabulous; I’ve always driven manuals before the Jeep, and I’m completely sold on the quality of this auto.
  • After having pulled out the rear seats before the trip, utility and storage was off-the-charts fantastic for such a small vehicle.

Not-so-Positives:
  • The windshield is a bug magnet and collects debris like no other vehicle I’ve ever owned. Make sure you keep your wiper fluid full on those long trips!
  • The updated iOS / CarPlay with Google Maps was great, but the default volume for navigation guidance is simply too loud.
  • I picked up a couple small rock chips on the front of the rear fenders; seems like it’s just bound to happen with the front tires throwing things up and back.

All-in-all, I’m an even bigger fan of this JL after putting some solid road trip miles on her. I can’t wait for the next excursion! :)

Couple of pics below.

Jeep @ Tumalo Falls

Crater Lake

Jeep @ Smith Rock

Tumalo Falls

Jeep @ Paulina
Nice write up and great pics!

Sponsored

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Thats what its all about right there!!! :)

OP
OP
gbox

gbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
You can adjust the Nav volume up or down while the voice is speaking but only while the voice is speaking. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Yes, we're aware of this capability, but we haven't discovered a way to make the adjusted volume level "stick" for future nav guidance. If you know that it's possible, or if you can adjust a master default nav volume level somewhere in either CarPlay or UConnect, please let us know! :)

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I thought that the volume stayed where you set it when the nav voice was talking? That's the way it was in our Liberty. I will not be able to verify on our JLU until the first week of November when we get it back.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Thanks. Yes, we're aware of this capability, but we haven't discovered a way to make the adjusted volume level "stick" for future nav guidance. If you know that it's possible, or if you can adjust a master default nav volume level somewhere in either CarPlay or UConnect, please let us know! :)
Assuming iOS: In the google maps app on your phone, at the bottom of the screen there is the time to destination. Tap that and it will slide up. Then click on settings. The second table after Mute state will say Guidance Volume. Pick softer, normal or Louder. It will remember for your next trip.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Your experience seems to match what the Wrangler engineers envisioned in this version.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Not-so-Positives:

Great trip report. Thank you for posting pics!!

Have you ever looked into windshield coatings? Helps you save on the wiper fluid. :)

OP
OP
gbox

gbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Assuming iOS: In the google maps app on your phone, at the bottom of the screen there is the time to destination. Tap that and it will slide up. Then click on settings. The second table after Mute state will say Guidance Volume. Pick softer, normal or Louder. It will remember for your next trip.
You. Are. A. Saint! I can't believe that I didn't find this setting before now. Selecting "softer" puts the volume at a much more tolerable level. HUGE thanks to you for pointing me to it! :clap:

Have you ever looked into windshield coatings? Helps you save on the wiper fluid. :)
No one asked to see this, but whatever... Here's a pic of our windshield after no more than 30min driving at dusk. It was spotless beforehand. Yuck.

31318121578_df61b3fe97.jpg

I'd love a recommendation for a good windshield coating. RainX or something better?

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Background:

Positives:

Not-so-Positives:

Couple of pics below.

Jeep @ Tumalo Falls

Crater Lake

Jeep @ Smith Rock

Tumalo Falls

Jeep @ Paulina
Are you on the 3.6 or 2.0T?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Buy a Jeep and let the adventure begin. Nice pics. Just a word of advice, you don't have to wait so long to get out and take a road trip. Plan and execute more often.
Sponsored