Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Add me to the club. Told the service rep to make sure they add 5 quarts not 6 and they still did it. He said it should pull up in their system when they service the car so there shouldn't be any problems but obviously there were because they dont check anything, they see a Jeep and assume they're all the same :mad:

I was actually thinking they used more than 6 because the oil was way passed the measuring tab on the dipstick
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I think for tire rotations I may just ask @TTEChris to rent his lift and do it myself and just take him to lunch...

SWIRVN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (ordered)
I just had my first and last oil change at my local dealership. Documentation states 5 quarts but the dipstick doesn’t lie...
Told my service advisor when I dropped it off and confirmed the docs when picked it. Unfortunately I was running late to work so I didn’t have time to check it before I left.

Siphoned it out this morning through the dipstick and 1 full quart put me back to AA’s on the dipstick.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
All these posts are reminding me why I have and always will do my own oil changes. A free oil change is rarely free. No matter what fourm you go to performance car whatever it’s always the same with these dealer oil changes. It’s amazing and a oil change is very simple and doesn’t anybody check oil on the dipstick? They just set a oil gun and slap the hood closed if the gun puts in 2 quarts that’s what you get if it puts in 6 quarts that’s what you get and nobody thinks to check the dipstick on an oil change before it leaves ? pretty scary , think about the things that they do that you can’t see ! wow

Last edited:

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Thanks for posting this. Caught the six quarts fill instead of five at the dealer today. They checked and then tried to tell me the extra quart was OK. Had to tell them to remove it which they did reluctantly while making me wait another 30 minutes.
What the hell is wrong with these people?

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I went into the dealership on a Friday and asked if they would just give me an oil filter instead of the whole oil change that comes with the Jeep wave program. They told me no, that it is a liability. I was thinking of this thread and I wanted to say back to them, “I’m the liability???”

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks for posting this. Caught the six quarts fill instead of five at the dealer today. They checked and then tried to tell me the extra quart was OK. Had to tell them to remove it which they did reluctantly while making me wait another 30 minutes.
Here's one better for you. I was talking to the tech who performed the services and asked him how much oil he put in, the reply was expected "6qts.", told him that JLs take 5 unlike the JK, please check and correct.

Do you think it was corrected? lol silly me should have checked then and there...

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Just had my oil changed. Explained to the advisor to make sure 5qt per JL spec. Got vehicle back with an invoice showing 6 quarts. Checked and sure enough, over filled. Now at one hour and 45 minutes for a pre-scheduled oil change. Thank you Texan Jeep in Humble, TX.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@theplankeye

Too late for me to tell you this so you would have avoided the issue.... (may help another JL owner) but.... I would have asked to speak to the employee, actually doing my oil change, before the oil change.... explained to him it is only 5 quarts... Do this and you will get only 5 quarts hopefully.

Over the years I have used Jeep and other brand dealer's service departments when I had to..

Anytime I asked to speak to tech ahead of time/ before the work, they always did have the tech talk to me. Also, I usually sit and stand by where the vehicle is parked so I can grab the guy as he goes to get in the vehicle to take it to work on it. I greet him politely and voice any concerns I have. I thank him for doing the right thing so to speak with my vehicle.. I tip him too...

hammerheadnc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 3.6L (Punky), 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Big Red)
WOW alot of overfills. Me-thinks I will be doing my own changes ;)

EEBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Here is another "Me too" .... Actually remembered to talk to service writer about JL's 5 quart. After oil change and tire rotation I got gas and checked dip stick .... You guessed it -- Overfilled. Went back, service manager had one of the "front line techs" check the oil. He confirmed and admitted bad due to being above the seals.
Service writer had put on the order in large words "Do not overfill" . Of course the filler probably thought to him/her self "I've been doing this forever - I know 6 quarts won't overfill a Wrangler". ... Can't win ...,.

Watchthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I totally forgot about this 5 quarts today until they handed me my receipt at the dealership that said 6 quarts. So I asked the young service advisor if they did actually put in 6 quarts oil and he said of course that’s what they take. When I tried to inform him about the difference in the JL he coped a attitude and informed me HIS computer says they take 6 quarts.
Okay so I walk out get inthe Jeep and start it up while I proceed to look up FCA oil capacity on MY computer . Let the Jeep set for 5 minutes and check the oil and it is over filled. I go back in to show the young man my oil capacity spec and he says he will come out and check the level personally. He checks and agrees it is over filled and and wants to know what I want him to do. I suggested draining a quart out so as not to harm the engine and he said he would but it wouldn’t hurt the engine.
Jeep goes back in and he tells the tech drain the oil out and only put back in 5 quarts. Thirty minutes later the tech pulls the Jeep out and tells me he only put 5 quarts in per my request and it will be a quart low. Also that all the 3.6 Penstars take 6 quarts of oil. Well okay then guess where I will not have anymore oil changes done. On page 509 of the owners manual it says 5 quarts of oil for the 3.6 so after a year you would think these dealerships would know what’s goin on.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Watchthis

Well, if that tech had told me like he told you, he would have had a 69 yo man shoving a printout of the page of the JL Owner's manual, that says the 2018 JL takes friggin 5 quarts of oil, shoved it up his ass so to speak and ........... don't think I am not being serious... That alleged tech, and his Service Manager and probably the dealership GM would have had an earful.

Sponsored