@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just as the weather started to cool my roof started creaking pretty at a moderate noise level when driving. No problems all summer but when October hit and temps started to cool the roof started getting loud.

Do I need to tighten something? Is this some sort of shrinkage or expansion due to weather change?

JLUR

5532CA74-6F53-4716-B069-F24FB8795EFC.jpeg
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
We I had a creaking noise coming from the freedom panels. I stick a little of the fuzzy side of the Velcro on the top where the freedoms panel meets up with it. No more noise. Did it on both sides.

Edit: Wow... my iPhone super makes me sound illiterate.

Gonna leave that ā€œsuperā€ in there. Have no idea what it thought I wanted to say. Kind of makes my point.

7B5B7625-4183-440E-9C77-E093A67C1E63.jpeg

Last edited:

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Mine does this too and I use single sided neoprene tape in similar areas to quiet it down.

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JK never did it. It's a JL thing ;)
My JK never did either- but then again my JK hard top leaked like crazy and my JL doesnā€™t! Much happier with the JL.

This is what happens when they use flimsier lighter plastics. Easy fixes tho. Or just crank the stereo!!

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I had the same issue and assumed it was just being plastic (like- for years with other JKs). Someone on here said to go over your rubber trim with Adams VRT. Yes, sweet baby Jesus it worked. Go around any surface that has rubber trim on the freedom panels and the back glass. No more styrofoam container sound.

Tdizz11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
My JK never did either- but then again my JK hard top leaked like crazy and my JL doesnā€™t! Much happier with the JL.

This is what happens when they use flimsier lighter plastics. Easy fixes tho. Or just crank the stereo!!
Same here! Listening to the creaks and pops of this plastic top is still better than pulling all the drain plugs every time it rains.
Is anyone worried about the top cracking in the cold?

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017

Which model year was your JK? Mine doesn't leak even with the soft top. It came with some extra sealing along the railings as well.

Agree about the crappy build quality of the JL though. Where did those weight savings go? Curb weight measurements don't tend to show.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which model year was your JK? Mine doesn't leak even with the soft top. It came with some extra sealing along the railings as well.

Agree about the crappy build quality of the JL though. Where did those weight savings go? Curb weight measurements don't tend to show.
I had a ā€˜12 JKU. I wouldnā€™t say the JL build quality is crappy. There are certainly some areas where more quality parts could have been used but by and large I find it mine to be well made. I have over 10K miles and really only small nuisance issues here and there - most of which I fixed.

Sponsored

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
We I had a creaking noise coming from the freedom panels. I stick a little of the fuzzy side of the Velcro on the top where the freedoms panel meets up with it. No more noise. Did it on both sides.

Edit: Wow... my iPhone super makes me sound illiterate.

Gonna leave that ā€œsuperā€ in there. Have no idea what it thought I wanted to say. Kind of makes my point.

7B5B7625-4183-440E-9C77-E093A67C1E63.jpeg
Good tip. Thanks! I'm going out to the Jeep right now to try it.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I had a ā€˜12 JKU. I wouldnā€™t say the JL build quality is crappy. There are certainly some areas where more quality parts could have been used but by and large I find it mine to be well made. I have over 10K miles and really only small nuisance issues here and there - most of which I fixed.
I was referring to the endless issues and recalls the JL's had. All JLs roll of the same assembly line and design issues affect all. You're just lucky, for now.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Just as the weather started to cool my roof started creaking pretty at a moderate noise level when driving. No problems all summer but when October hit and temps started to cool the roof started getting loud.

Do I need to tighten something? Is this some sort of shrinkage or expansion due to weather change?

JLUR

What kind of setup do you have for tires and lift? 35's and mopar 2" lift?

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil

JLUR

I don't have any roof creaking but I do hear some from the back which I think is the lift gate rubber. I my try some silicone grease and see if that fixes it.
Sponsored