15,983 Wranglers Sold in September 2018

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So... If Jeep made a 2%+ sales increase, year over year, when the production is already at or near maximum capacity when offering no rebates or other sales incentives... Some of you would consider that a failure?

Think about it. If the JK was the best selling Jeep Wrangler in history and they release the JL, raise the prices across the board, multiple increases in the first year run and still sell MORE than the previous model. How is that a failure?
I don't consider it a "failure" but I did expect exactly what is happening....sales are slowing dramatically.

The JK actually was decreasing in sales during it's last 3 years on the market. Possibly because of the 3% annual price increases? Possibly because it had been on the market for 10 years? Possibly because the market was becoming saturated with Wranglers? I don't know...but sales had been slowing.

So....to see the brand new model already falling to last year's JK sales levels is very telling. It says that A) initial record sales for Wrangler this year were fueled by having both models on sale at the same time and B) the buzz and hype surrounding the all new model is being overshadowed by the insane pricing structure on them.

If your capacity to build Wranglers has increased significantly and you're building a BRAND NEW and fresh model, and your sales numbers are falling....that isn't a good sign. That means that we're going to likely see big rebates on Wrangler this fall, which is something that historically never happened on Wrangler.

FCA needs to stop raping people. The pricing structure is insane...especially when some of the options are also used on other FCA vehicles for less money. Take the automatic trans. for example. When in history has a domestic automaker EVER charged $2,000 to swap your transmission to an automatic?? You could go on all day about the overpriced options that are specific to Wrangler.
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Would seem to me, what is the capacity of one line to crank out wranglers, when they had 2 lines, 1 for JK and or JL, they could ramp up and crank out 30 units
2017 looks like they sold 11-17 K units a month, 201610-20K units a month. So now they dont make JK, I would say 20K units sold in Aug for MY 2018 is damn good, considering some people will prefer to wait for the 2019 MY, no drop in demand there. When they start the truck production should be interesting. Does anyone know if both lines are flexible enough to run both Wranglers and the trucks simultaneously, so they can balance supply with demand?

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I paid $36k for my JLU Sport S. Most people don't buy loaded Rubicons and Saharas. They buy Sports.
Hey, Thirty. According to Jay's poll (linked below), 70% of forum members have ordered some variant of the Rubicon. I know we're all crazy here, and it's an informal and unscientific poll, but do you think that this is so far off from the general public? I can't find actual numbers anywhere for specific model sales, but I am curious as to the breakdown of Sport-to-Sahara-to-Rubicon sales.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...your-configuration-here.1472/poll/all-results

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
So... If Jeep made a 2%+ sales increase, year over year, when the production is already at or near maximum capacity when offering no rebates or other sales incentives... Some of you would consider that a failure?

Think about it. If the JK was the best selling Jeep Wrangler in history and they release the JL, raise the prices across the board, multiple increases in the first year run and still sell MORE than the previous model. How is that a failure?
Your are correct. It is not a failure in executing a plan that is motivated by profit over quality. This is a classic mistake made, but is mostly always forgiven by consumers. Very odd indeed.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Hey, Thirty. According to Jay's poll (linked below), 70% of forum members have ordered some variant of the Rubicon. I know we're all crazy here, and it's an informal and unscientific poll, but do you think that this is so far off from the general public? I can't find actual numbers anywhere for specific model sales, but I am curious as to the breakdown of Sport-to-Sahara-to-Rubicon sales.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...your-configuration-here.1472/poll/all-results
Likening this forum to the general public is a non sequitur for precisely the reasons you noted: informal, unscientific and no corroborating data. Thus, any assumptions, much less conclusions, have no validity.

As an anecdotal aside (which is equally subjective and inconclusive), I see far more Sports (old and new) on the road around here than I do Rubicons and Saharas.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yes. Way off. I will look for the numbers. I think Rubicons are like 15% and Sports are over 60% but don't quote me on that until I can find the numbers. I think there are some on this site.

The forum is absolutely not representative of the general public especially when it comes to Rubicons.

Edit: @misanthrope this is what I found from @JAY on another thread. it is old (from May) but representative:

Sport Unlimited (45%)
In D1: 4,921
In Framing/Paint/Trim:: 197
Total Built: 38,142

Sahara Unlimited (35%)
In D1: 7,280
In Framing/Paint/Trim: 219
Total Built: 29,560

Rubicon Unlimited (20%)
In D1: 3,106
In Framing/Paint/Trim: 102
Total Built: 17,431

Last edited:

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Likening this forum to the general public is a non sequitur for precisely the reasons you noted: informal, unscientific and no corroborating data. Thus, any assumptions, much less conclusions, have no validity.

As an anecdotal aside (which is equally subjective and inconclusive), I see far more Sports (old and new) on the road around here than I do Rubicons and Saharas.
Yes. Way off. I will look for the numbers. I think Rubicons are like 15% and Sports are over 60% but don't quote me on that until I can find the numbers. I think there are some on this site.

The forum is absolutely not representative of the general public especially when it comes to Rubicons.

Edit: @misanthrope this is what I found from @JAY on another thread. it is old (from May) but representative:

Sport Unlimited (45%)
In D1: 4,921
In Framing/Paint/Trim:: 197
Total Built: 38,142

Sahara Unlimited (35%)
In D1: 7,280
In Framing/Paint/Trim: 219
Total Built: 29,560

Rubicon Unlimited (20%)
In D1: 3,106
In Framing/Paint/Trim: 102
Total Built: 17,431
So, essentially, we forum members are the best educated, best motivated drinkers of the (best) koolaid ever. I agree that a Rubi in my neck of the woods is rare, maybe 1 in 20, so that makes sense. It's just hard for me to believe that the forum buyer's stats are so skewed. I guess if you're going to drop 50 large on an uncomfortable (comparatively) impractical (comparatively) and outdated (comparatively) vehicle, you turn to a forum like this for justification to ease your conscience (and wallet (comparatively) ).

But, for the record, your stats show 55% of buyers opting for the Sahara and the Rubicon, which would constitute "most ".

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So, essentially, we forum members are the best educated, best motivated drinkers of the (best) koolaid ever. I agree that a Rubi in my neck of the woods is rare, maybe 1 in 20, so that makes sense. It's just hard for me to believe that the forum buyer's stats are so skewed. I guess if you're going to drop 50 large on an uncomfortable (comparatively) impractical (comparatively) and outdated (comparatively) vehicle, you turn to a forum like this for justification to ease your conscience (and wallet (comparatively) ).

But, for the record, your stats show 55% of buyers opting for the Sahara and the Rubicon, which would constitute "most ".
Well, I didn't include 2-doors because the numbers for May weren't representative. in the past they skewed heavily to Sports and of course all 2-doors are well under $50,000 so I think the point holds true.

here's a full year of JKs for reference.

wh7BL3BBylYJGLG-94-5Xzl3Il242ONHMDpVhlpQbGQnY4InzecyeMJAq-drsxrNjSbhuHnugzvmhf1XoE8=w534-h978-no.png

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Would seem to me, what is the capacity of one line to crank out wranglers, when they had 2 lines, 1 for JK and or JL, they could ramp up and crank out 30 units
2017 looks like they sold 11-17 K units a month, 201610-20K units a month. So now they dont make JK, I would say 20K units sold in Aug for MY 2018 is damn good, considering some people will prefer to wait for the 2019 MY, no drop in demand there. When they start the truck production should be interesting. Does anyone know if both lines are flexible enough to run both Wranglers and the trucks simultaneously, so they can balance supply with demand?
JK max out put was 46 per hour. JL will be around 65. Don't think the new JT line will be able to make JL's. Have heard different things but I don't see how it would be possible.

Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I paid $36k for my JLU Sport S. Most people don't buy loaded Rubicons and Saharas. They buy Sports. So yes average prices for Jeeps have gone up from low-mid 30s to mid-upper 30s. But $50k is for the forum dwellers not the average buyer.

Try to get a 4Runner, Tacoma, explorer, etc for less than that. I think Jeeps are competitively priced.

It's like people who buy the Hermes AppleWatch and complain about the battery life and the price. If you pay $1,000 for a $400 watch that's not Apple's fault. That's yours. If you have the money and you like the fancy band and watch face good for you. Just don't complain about it.
The sport is the base model Wrangler and the SR5 is the base model 4Runner and can be had for 36k easily.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The sport is the base model Wrangler and the SR5 is the base model 4Runner and can be had for 36k easily.
Damn y'all like to split hairs. The 4Runner SR5 MSRP is $34,910. Sport/S 4-door is $31,445/$34,645. So like I said - the Wrangler is competitively priced.

flyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 370z, 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2014 Impreza, 2008 Escape, 2003 Pathfinder
Are there numbers for MT vs. Auto?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are there numbers for MT vs. Auto?
Not that I've seen. Last I heard manual was about 15%. Read that in an article I think. But that was for the JK. I haven't seen anything on the JL.

Manual for all vehicles is under 5% now I believe.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
I paid $36k for my JLU Sport S. Most people don't buy loaded Rubicons and Saharas. They buy Sports. So yes average prices for Jeeps have gone up from low-mid 30s to mid-upper 30s. But $50k is for the forum dwellers not the average buyer.

Try to get a 4Runner, Tacoma, explorer, etc for less than that. I think Jeeps are competitively priced.

It's like people who buy the Hermes AppleWatch and complain about the battery life and the price. If you pay $1,000 for a $400 watch that's not Apple's fault. That's yours. If you have the money and you like the fancy band and watch face good for you. Just don't complain about it.
Depends on the area. Here in OC, CA 80% of the JLs that I've seen so far have been Rubicons or Saharas, with the majority of those Rubicons. Checking inventory at a couple of local dealerships over the last several months, the Sports languish while the Rubicons are snatched up within a week or two.

My point is that early adopters tend to be willing to spend more to be the first in line to have the latest/greatest. Once those people filter out, the market dictates what manufacturers can charge for their goods. Like you mentioned, Apple is similarly moving upmarket (not that they were ever a discount brand). Trading quantity for profit margin may work for Jeep, but like I said time will tell. My own selfish hope is that they overprice Jeeps, sales slow and they have to start discounting. Then maybe my someday Jeep will be less common, and cheaper. One can only dream...
Sponsored