Sponsored

Track bar frame weld issue recall! [Updated with official UA5 recall notice w/ repair procedure]

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
It's odd that the recall includes some 2019 Wranglers. I didn't even know they had built any yet.
I wonder how this will affect the build time on open orders.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
It's odd that the recall includes some 2019 Wranglers. I didn't even know they had built any yet.
Could be frames from Tower allocated to 2019 builds even though they haven't yet been built? Just spitballin' here.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Thats why I laughed at people who said they wanted to wait out for 2019's because of issues. Guess they aren't out of the woodwork yet.

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
I think no remedy means it can’t be fixed and you get a new vehicle. It says in the recall those affected vehicles can’t be sold.
No remedy means that they have announced the recall but have not come up with a remedy yet. They will send an interim letter to affected owners letting them know that a remedy is on the way. Once they come up with a remedy, they will send out another letter telling affected owners to take their jeep to a dealership to get the recall fixed.

Also, a stop sale doesn't mean that the car can't ever be sold. It just means that the dealership can't sell the vehicle until the recall is fixed on it. If they sell it without fixing the problem, they will get fined a good amount of money.

Source: I work in the automotive recall industry.

Last edited:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
No remedy means that they have announced the recall but have not come up with a remedy yet. They will sent an interim letter to affected owners letting them know that a remedy is on the way. Once they come up with a remedy, they will send out another letter telling affected owners to take their jeep to a dealership to get the recall fixed.

Source: I work in the automotive recall industry.
Krazyboi,

So at this point theres not current rush to go into dealership would you say? I'm just wondering if I should wait for it to play out and get notified or proactively go in. I'm guess theres no point going to dealer now.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thats why I laughed at people who said they wanted to wait out for 2019's because of issues. Guess they aren't out of the woodwork yet.
2019s will have their share of issues but I would be shocked if a 2019 ever makes it on the road with a track bar mount issue like we’ve seen on the 18s.

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
Krazyboi,

So at this point theres not current rush to go into dealership would you say? I'm just wondering if I should wait for it to play out and get notified or proactively go in. I'm guess theres no point going to dealer now.
They may fix it on their own now if it looks bad, but the recall will still be open on your VIN. You will still get an interim letter and a "remedy available" letter in the future. If they fix it now, you will have to give them a call or visit them later to close the recall for your VIN in their system.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
2019s will have their share of issues but I would be shocked if a 2019 ever makes it on the road with a track bar mount issue like we’ve seen on the 18s.
They shouldn’t. They knew well ahead of time there was a trackbar issue.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine looks fine, and shows nothing on the recall page. It is an early build, which I believe was December 2017. I took delivery in mid-January 2018. I've got 10k on it and all welds, not just this one, look good.

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
in the main document it says fix will be available Q4 so I'm sure they will do a fix soon
The fix is they will send out a welding team to re-weld the track bar welds that the robot missed the seam on..

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
RubenZ, I Don't believe that for 1 second . . . well maybe just 1 :facepalm: . We're all Jeepers at heart here, like brothers-in-arms sort of - no disrespect to the men in women in uniform ( I'm retired Navy) . I'm one of those who play it safe with any Totally new vehicle (this one looks familiar but it is basically 90% new ! I've never owned a JK and am very excited about ordering a jL, as are Probably everyone here ! I think Most Jeepers are aware of the potential risks, including you, I hope your jeep serves you well, but I will - more than ever - remain cautious, because this will most likely be the last vehicle (& the best I hope) I'll be buying (my best years being behind me).
A big thanks goes to 'Jeep Informant's' due diligence in this matter; and am sure others have taken up the cause - most grateful to JEEP for this Recall and hope they continue to do the right thing . Stay Safe out there, on & off road. :clap: for Jeep !

thewise1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Turbo 2door Stingray Sport and 6cyl 4door White Sahara
Found it ... Doesn't look bad ... Am on recall list though ... :)

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I am on the list, I signed up for notification when parts in...

I would have thought they would call in and inpect then weld as needed. Unclear if I should go into dealer or wait for "parts"

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
I'm shocked but not surprised. The first few hundred JL's made all had to be scrapped because of bad welds. Everything in the system after body shop all had to be sent to the shredder. We didn't run for a few days while they assessed the situation and "fixed" to the problem.

Last edited:

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Not sure how I feel about this recall now. I just searched my VIN and it’s not listed. :swear:

688CA558-9C86-46DD-BAF4-BD046B27E08C.png
Yeah mine isnt listed either even though weld was incomplete. Buyback is still a go.
Sponsored