OP
OP
baggio16

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Jeep is an all-terrain hiking boot ! Always willing to help !

( Prius is a lost ballet slipper , helpless , whining and crying .)
I do miss the $2k+ I would have saved on gas for commuting along. But the Jeep adventures themselves are so worth it in the end.
Sponsored

OP
OP
baggio16

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
  • IMG_0765.JPG
Nice setup! How does your dog get up in the tent?

Lift her up there. She weighs about 50lbs. Then I have a harness thing that helps me bring her down. She actually loves sleeping up there. It's nice for those cold nights. Ha.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thanks! I had no idea on the whole overlanding thing until I searched on youtube about road trips to Alaska. I was just going to take the Prius and camp/hotel. What a difference the Jeep and tent make! It's weird that I inspire people. I drew my inspiration by venture4wd guy on Youtube and several others that gave up their jobs just to explore. When you have a whole glacier to yourself, you realize how awesome it all is.

I'm doing the same thing as you. I'm pretty sure I'm upgrading to the Ursa next spring and selling the tent. Also installing the Goose Gear stuff. After more than a few really rainy, muddy nights, I really like the idea of getting into the tent through the Jeep. Plus, easier to get the dog up.

That's a great story! I always believe in stopping and helping, if needed. I figure it's just karma.

That is the next mod on the list! I just ended up running out of Jeep money before the trip. This whole Jeep thing becomes a really expensive hobby. :)
I would recommend a ham radio over cb. A cb has pretty limited range. It's pretty easy to get a ham license. Something like a Kenwood TM-V71A would be a good radio for a Jeep. A good antenna to pair with it would be a Larsen NMO2/70B.

OP
OP
baggio16

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
AT 27,000+ miles you might own the highest milage JL so far. Your adventures have taken you, Muttley, and your JL to some extreme areas. How has your Rubicon held up so far? Any mechanical issues or failures? Is the front windshield defroster OK at de-fogging, defrosting in the freezing cold and snow? How are the OEM LED headlights, how are they on the road, in freezing temps, does ice form on them and do they get warm enough to melt the ice? How do you like the K02 tires?

What options did you order with your JL? What options would you consider "must have" and which would you pass on if you were to redo it? Any options you wished you added?
Thanks. I've always tried to live life, but the accident made me want to do more. Then the trip up north, opened my eyes even further. Now I see why people just quit their jobs and travel around in their Jeeps. It does make me daydream a bit (or a lot).

AT 27,000+ miles you might own the highest milage JL so far. Your adventures have taken you, Muttley, and your JL to some extreme areas. How has your Rubicon held up so far? Any mechanical issues or failures? Is the front windshield defroster OK at de-fogging, defrosting in the freezing cold and snow? How are the OEM LED headlights, how are they on the road, in freezing temps, does ice form on them and do they get warm enough to melt the ice? How do you like the K02 tires?

What options did you order with your JL? What options would you consider "must have" and which would you pass on if you were to redo it? Any options you wished you added?
Well the first day I got it there was a pretty decent snow storm (around 6"). It handled brilliantly. I've also driven in almost -20 temps and I have to admit that it's better in those conditions than I could have imagined. I wasn't going to, but I got talked into getting the heated wheel and seats, and they're awesome! I did drive a JK out in Colorado in February, and the JL was so much better in the conditions. It also handled 1,000+ miles of dirt/mud roads unbelievably. I don't remember if I had problems with the LED and ice/snow. All I know is that the lights are awesome (and sometimes too bright for semis).

I've only had the vacuum pump issue when it comes to mechanical issues. I think there is a recall out for it now. But it started from when I came from the 10,000+ feet to the plains. The dealer was extremely helpful (and same with the Jeepcares account). I've also had USB and radio problems. But I figured the workarounds on those. I'm waiting for the next Uconnect update to see if it fixed them.

I think it was pretty fully loaded when I got it. It was the only one in the area that had what I wanted, so I ended up getting extra stuff (I did get a pretty good deal on it). Let's see, love the sound system. The leather seats were key with a husky. The aux switches have been put to good use. I love remote start, especially with being able to start it with the app at work.

I do wish I had the proximity key entry. That's the only thing I miss from my old car. I do regret the matching color fender/top. I probably wasted money on that. They will probably end up being replaced. They're all scratched up.

I really like the KO2. They drive great on the highway. Awesome in the snow and off-road. My Jeep guy is trying to talk me into Nitto tires. I might switch over when I get the lift and bigger tires next spring. I mean the KO2 drove from Colorado with a spike in it from Colorado to Minnesota. I do have another screw in a different tire too. Reminds me, I need to get that fixed. Ha.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
All I know is that the lights are awesome (and sometimes too bright for semis).
An earlier thread suggested lowering the beam of the headlights .

This after a trooper pulled over a JL thinking JL had his high beams on .

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thanks. I've always tried to live life, but the accident made me want to do more. Then the trip up north, opened my eyes even further. Now I see why people just quit their jobs and travel around in their Jeeps. It does make me daydream a bit (or a lot).

Well the first day I got it there was a pretty decent snow storm (around 6"). It handled brilliantly. I've also driven in almost -20 temps and I have to admit that it's better in those conditions than I could have imagined. I wasn't going to, but I got talked into getting the heated wheel and seats, and they're awesome! I did drive a JK out in Colorado in February, and the JL was so much better in the conditions. It also handled 1,000+ miles of dirt/mud roads unbelievably. I don't remember if I had problems with the LED and ice/snow. All I know is that the lights are awesome (and sometimes too bright for semis).

I've only had the vacuum pump issue when it comes to mechanical issues. I think there is a recall out for it now. But it started from when I came from the 10,000+ feet to the plains. The dealer was extremely helpful (and same with the Jeepcares account). I've also had USB and radio problems. But I figured the workarounds on those. I'm waiting for the next Uconnect update to see if it fixed them.

I think it was pretty fully loaded when I got it. It was the only one in the area that had what I wanted, so I ended up getting extra stuff (I did get a pretty good deal on it). Let's see, love the sound system. The leather seats were key with a husky. The aux switches have been put to good use. I love remote start, especially with being able to start it with the app at work.

I do wish I had the proximity key entry. That's the only thing I miss from my old car. I do regret the matching color fender/top. I probably wasted money on that. They will probably end up being replaced. They're all scratched up.

I really like the KO2. They drive great on the highway. Awesome in the snow and off-road. My Jeep guy is trying to talk me into Nitto tires. I might switch over when I get the lift and bigger tires next spring. I mean the KO2 drove from Colorado with a spike in it from Colorado to Minnesota. I do have another screw in a different tire too. Reminds me, I need to get that fixed. Ha.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Most owners got their JLs after the winter so no one really has any input yet on winter driving, heat, defrosters, etc. I read a few owners were surprised the windshield defrost only blows warm air at the center of the windshield. They said the left and right edges of the windshield do not get defogged. Did you have any issues with parts of the windshield not being cleared of fogging? Did the defroster melt windshield ice and snow OK?

Thanks for your opinion on the painted hard top and fenders. I was worried about scratching the painted top while removing it. I owned a TJ and JK before and both had the black hardtop. I used to touch up the tops with a black Sharpie every time I scratched the top. Can't do that with a painted top. I am definitely going to go with a black hard top when I order. I am still on the fence about the painted fenders.

Thanks again for the write up and for sharing your thoughts. It is much appreciated!

OP
OP
baggio16

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
An earlier thread suggested lowering the beam of the headlights .

This after a trooper pulled over a JL thinking JL had his high beams on .
Yeah. I did this. But the weight of all the junk in the back made it sag down which made the lights go back up high. I'm hoping to remedy this when I add the lift next spring. I was talking to a Jeep dealer guy and he said the AEV was coming out with some heavy duty suspension to combat the sag. Hoping that works!

OP
OP
baggio16

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
I would recommend a ham radio over cb. A cb has pretty limited range. It's pretty easy to get a ham license. Something like a Kenwood TM-V71A would be a good radio for a Jeep. A good antenna to pair with it would be a Larsen NMO2/70B.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of doing a ham radio. I had originally bought a CB, but then returned it. The whole radio thing is kinda complicated for someone that doesn't know anything about it. I'm going to do some more research on it. Do you happen to know of any good sites that explain the difference between radios?

My guy had recommended this radio: https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167_1334&products_id=2473

Any thoughts? I appreciate any advice. :)

OP
OP
baggio16

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Most owners got their JLs after the winter so no one really has any input yet on winter driving, heat, defrosters, etc. I read a few owners were surprised the windshield defrost only blows warm air at the center of the windshield. They said the left and right edges of the windshield do not get defogged. Did you have any issues with parts of the windshield not being cleared of fogging? Did the defroster melt windshield ice and snow OK?

Thanks for your opinion on the painted hard top and fenders. I was worried about scratching the painted top while removing it. I owned a TJ and JK before and both had the black hardtop. I used to touch up the tops with a black Sharpie every time I scratched the top. Can't do that with a painted top. I am definitely going to go with a black hard top when I order. I am still on the fence about the painted fenders.

Thanks again for the write up and for sharing your thoughts. It is much appreciated!
No worries. I like talking about Jeeps. Ha.

I don't remember any problems with the defrost. I should pay more attention. I did take a snow pic back in February. Ugh, it's going to come too soon.

IMG_0335.JPG

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of doing a ham radio. I had originally bought a CB, but then returned it. The whole radio thing is kinda complicated for someone that doesn't know anything about it. I'm going to do some more research on it. Do you happen to know of any good sites that explain the difference between radios?

My guy had recommended this radio: https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167_1334&products_id=2473

Any thoughts? I appreciate any advice. :)
eHam.net has reviews on ham radios, antennas, and other gear. A 2m/70cm band radio is good for the Jeep.

The Rugged Radios setup seems quite expensive for what you get. It may take a little more work to select the gear yourself, but you'll be glad you did. You can find everything you need from some of the online ham stores like GigaParts. I would recommend sticking with Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom for the radio(s), and Larson for the antenna. For a handheld I would recommend the Yaesu FT-70DR, which is on sale right now. BaoFeng makes cheap Chinese handhelds, but I don't think it's worth the savings.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
bagglo, thanks for sharing!!! Keep up the pics =)

Lacroix1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JL
Some "action" shots. :)

Glacier NP (wildfires suck)

uIhXapTYRfy35vAeHF6haA.jpg

faoIl0pFTS2vFUvrxp12yQ.jpg

pI8gnseESb2%DGMjjyQu0g.jpg

WUflG8JwRt+4qH4kJR0YGQ.jpg

yfPoRsCtQFu4dJgQO9r5LA.jpg

aZ1aEyW%Qame18KSP7WTJw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_8c2.jpeg

vKXmxIUgTLyGe5YYGDrA+Q.jpg

fjsFEhVyQAKJ3BUbpsxlqw.jpg

MGbidptzTF2PXwfCdHGQ2g.jpg

XAAEZ%OzSam2FJWZMvvmcg.jpg

yoYteQ%nTUeXPc5fRU9l+Q.jpg

SeY41emRTfyAULVGA0cF9Q.jpg

CNy38x7UTuWEWqQBL+g4yQ.jpg

Ignore the MPG, that was from hammering home into a headwind. Averaged around 18mpg fro whole trip.
5hiBKybJSzOXvAQMwm63%Q.jpg

Token dog photo :)

fullsizeoutput_7a4.jpeg
Forget the Jeep; Awesome dog!!!

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
You are living the dream.

Im jealous. I hope to do what you are doing in a couple years.

Beautiful rig and well done

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Blazer, 2019 JLR, 2015 JLURHR (sold) 2014 JLUS (sold) 2014 JLRX (Sold)
If you havent made your way back down yet stop in at my dealership in Fort St John (right on the alaska HWY) you should be passing right by us. Id be delighted to buy ya lunch and pick your brain about your travels. We are a HUGE jeep community up here and our showroom is very doggo friendly!!

No worries. I like talking about Jeeps. Ha.

I don't remember any problems with the defrost. I should pay more attention. I did take a snow pic back in February. Ugh, it's going to come too soon.

IMG_0335.JPG
Sponsored