Not open for further replies.

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
Question? I've already got the 3.6 and have been looking into adding a supercharger. I've seen some charts on Sprintex for the JK and they were impressive. I know there are differences with a turbo and supercharger, but what would one expect to see as a comparison in a 3.6?
thanks,
Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
At 2,000 RPM's the torque of both engines is about the same.

At 3,000 RPM's the engine of any car I have driven is just about screaming. So I am not sure that I want to go beyond 3,000 RPM's. That implies the extra torque is not that useful. What have I missed?
The "extra" torque above 3K is your passing power! These DOHC V6s and turbo4s are not to be driven like a V8. The 3.6L I went and test drove with the 8spd auto certainly did not mind revving, and actually sounds pretty good up high.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
At 2,000 RPM's the torque of both engines is about the same.

At 3,000 RPM's the engine of any car I have driven is just about screaming. So I am not sure that I want to go beyond 3,000 RPM's. That implies the extra torque is not that useful. What have I missed?
This

"So, what does that mean for you and your 2.0L? Most people, whether they're driving around town or off-roading, will spend most of their time between 1,000 RPM and 3,500-4,500 RPM"

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
At 3000 RPM my wife's CR-V won't even upshift. At 3000 RPM, a large V6 or any V8 isn't even breathing heavy. Most modern 4s redline above 6000 RPM, and some at 7-8000 ( I think the inline 4 in the Honda S2000 redlined around 9000 RPM). What you've missed is about 40% of your power curve.
I should hope it does not "upshift"...CRV has a CVT in it.....No pesky gears in there to do so....

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the 2.0 is delivering the goods! If it proves to be durable, it should be an outstanding engine. This doesn't put a downer on the 3.6 in any way. It has its place.

I love the idea of that 2.0, and it should have a performance advantage, as it is a new design, whereas the 3.6 is an updated version of a very mature design. I chose the 3.6 first for the manual transmission, and also because of it's proven track record as a reliable and durable engine, which is of paramount importance, for how I'll use it. I also like that it is smooth, quiet, and refined, and runs on cheaper 87 octane fuel. I also very much like that it is not direct injected, which can be tough on oil and can suffer from severe valve deposits. (Those things may not play out as problems with the 2.0, but they are common among DI engines.)

I hope and believe this 2.0 fulfills its promise and earns a reputation as a reliable, powerful engine that is versatile for both off and on road performance. FCA put great effort into its development, and that's starting to show. It is not really in competition with the 3.6, as much as it is just a choice. I'm glad FCA gave us a choice that is more than it appeared to be on paper, initially. Progress and development is good. In the mean time, I'll drive my 3.6 for the next 20 years and will enjoy how well matched it is to the JLUR' and manual transmission. I couldn't be happier. 10k miles and no issues. In fact, of all the guys and gals I know with the 3.6 in their JK's and other FCA vehicles, I haven't encountered a single one, personally, with an engine problem. That's pretty impressive. It was named several times since its introduction in Ward's top 10 production engines in the world because it is a great engine. There's nothing the 3.6 needs to apologize for, especially when you see them running beautifully with over 300,000 miles on them.

I just don't see how someone can choose a JL and not be thrilled with either power plant, especially if the 2.0 proves reliable and durable. Good on FCA! I can't wait to see what the aftermarket tuners do with this thing. It looks like it has real potential!

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I should hope it does not "upshift"...CRV has a CVT in it.....No pesky gears in there to do so....
Some CVTs have simulated "gears" that make jumps to different ratios, and are in fact, upshifts. The Subaru Crosstrek comes to mind.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Nope. 5 speeds controlled by an automatic transmission. You know, the CVT for Honda is a relatively new development, right (2013 Accord)?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Question? I've already got the 3.6 and have been looking into adding a supercharger. I've seen some charts on Sprintex for the JK and they were impressive. I know there are differences with a turbo and supercharger, but what would one expect to see as a comparison in a 3.6?
thanks,
You should post this question in the 3.6L forum.

But, just as a quick response, a supercharged 3.6L should make around 345 HP to the rear wheels, and that's enough power to destroy any stock engine option offered on a Wrangler. That would even put your Jeep ahead of a 5.7L Hemi Grand Cherokee in a drag race.

sailadams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No jeeps
I apologize for my ignorance, but why would you do Dyno tests on two motors and not use the same wheels and tires?

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I apologize for my ignorance, but why would you do Dyno tests on two motors and not use the same wheels and tires?
The other engine wasn't their jeep. They only tested it because it was available, then disclosed the differences. It was more a "hey, we've got the other engine, should we see if the owner will let us run it on the dyno?" than an intended comparison of the the two. I still appreciate the info.

Sponsored

TurboTodd

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.prodigyperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Shara 3.6 TurboCharged~2012 JK Sport TurboCharged~2017 Dodge Challenger 3.6 Twin-Turbo
Occupation
Director of Sales & Marketing
thanks,
The Prodigy Turbo system for the JL is making 400RWHP and 355FTLB measured using Dyno Dynamics. Which is stronger than any Supercharger or V8. DM me and I will extend a special discount for forum members like yourself.

TurboTodd

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Shara 3.6 TurboCharged~2012 JK Sport TurboCharged~2017 Dodge Challenger 3.6 Twin-Turbo
Occupation
You are correct, you should use the same size.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, you should use the same size.
Gearing is different aslo.
4:10 with 32.75" RUBICON
3:45 with 31.50" Sport
There might be a difference in transfer gears also.
Not sure how much of a difference in Dyno output this would make.

TurboTodd

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Soooo. Which one should I order. The 2.0 or the 3.6 for my Rubicon 4dr. I just can’t decide....I drove both, and obviously the turbo gets up and goes. I compare the 3.6 in my 2dr Jk and it’s faster and smoother than both, which I really like....why did jeep change the 3.6? seems like a dog off the line
Get the 3.6 and Turbo Charge it. The 8 speed transmission is money with our Turbo and lifetime tuning support. PM me for a special offer for forum members.

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
Get the 3.6 and Turbo Charge it. The 8 speed transmission is money with our Turbo and lifetime tuning support. PM me for a special offer for forum members.
Man, I’m trying to get 7k off my Jeep cause they are so expensive. I can’t see throwing more money into a brand new Rubicon. If the turbo was like a grand or so I would try it. But the wife who loves the go-cart power in the JK would not let me spend so much more
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.