Sponsored

Best Wax For Black JLU

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I would invest in a DA and some pads.

If your not going the ceramic route, any good paint sealant will treat you well. I use Pinnacle Black Diamond.

After I wash, spruce it up with Meguires Spray wax.

Neither leaves any white residue. Polish with Meg 205 and white pad.

Whenmy wife's Sahara comes in will wash with iron x, clay and buff out and do a detail and then have PPF put on it.
Sponsored

Socceref

First Name
Ref
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (loaded)
Plus one on this! I didn't let my dealer touch mine though because my local guy preps them so good. He had it for 3 days. Full on wash, clay bar, polish then applied Gtechniq Crystal Serum light and EXO. Came out looking better than new.
Best brands are opticoat, Gtechniq, c.quartz, and ceramic pro. I went with Gtechniq because of the price and looking at reviews was just as solid as other products priced much more. Mine was about $600 for everything. Washes so fast now, super hydrophobic, has a great shine.

IMG_0782.jpg
How much did your guy charge?

jbeiker

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Plus one on this! I didn't let my dealer touch mine though because my local guy preps them so good. He had it for 3 days. Full on wash, clay bar, polish then applied Gtechniq Crystal Serum light and EXO. Came out looking better than new.
Best brands are opticoat, Gtechniq, c.quartz, and ceramic pro. I went with Gtechniq because of the price and looking at reviews was just as solid as other products priced much more. Mine was about $600 for everything. Washes so fast now, super hydrophobic, has a great shine.

IMG_0782.jpg
Good morning!
I am brand new to this forum and brand new to Jeep! I actually just purchased the exact same set up you have with the all black and red accented. I absolutely love its shine but am very very picky and very very scared of it getting scratches or even minor swirl marks. I see your suggestion as to the product....was it easy to apply? Does it help protect from the basic surface scratches? I make sure to keep it far away from the average person at Walmart to avoid major scratches, I'm just trying to find out how to keep it as protected as possible.

Thanks for the insight!

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Having had multiple Black vehicles in the past, this worked for me...

Wax with Colonite 476S every 9-12 months, and maintain it with Optimum Spray Wax as needed.
Use 303 Aerospace for plastics and rubber.

For washing, be sure to start with a Foam Canon and then use the two bucket wash method (with a grit guard), especially with Black paint.

Use Super Soft Microfiber for everything (Wash, Dry, and Wax).

Also, Consider covering your hood and grill with a good PPF. Black tends to show paint chips more than most other colors. For whatever reason, Manufacturers always seem to use a lightly colored primer under black paint.

Last edited:

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Good morning!
I am brand new to this forum and brand new to Jeep! I actually just purchased the exact same set up you have with the all black and red accented. I absolutely love its shine but am very very picky and very very scared of it getting scratches or even minor swirl marks. I see your suggestion as to the product....was it easy to apply? Does it help protect from the basic surface scratches? I make sure to keep it far away from the average person at Walmart to avoid major scratches, I'm just trying to find out how to keep it as protected as possible.

Thanks for the insight!
First thing, just know that your Jeep will get scratched. All cars do. A good detailer can show you scratches that you didn't even know existed and can't see without tools. That said ceramic coatings can help protect your vehicle form minor scratches. My detailer told me a story of a customer with an RS5 whose kid wrote his name on the trunk with a ball point pen. While it looked like it was hosed, all he damage was on the coating. The other thing that will matter almost more than any other detail is how you wash it. If you don't want swirls you are gonna need about a $200 investment in 1-2 buckets (3 if you're crazy), grit guards or similar for the bottom of the buckets, a good wash mitt or pad, and an assortment of the right kinds of towels. Last but not least proper washing technique, there are a lot of owners who end up damaging their paint because they "scub" them clean. This traps dirt on the surface under the mitt which then causes scratches.

For me I couldn't decide what to do, my jeep is sting gray not black. I finally booked my detailer to fix some paint chips for me and told him to go head and do Gyeon Can Coat on my hard top, Gyeon Fabric on my soft top, Gyeon View on the glass, and Gyeon Trim on the plastics and trims. Originally I had decided to not correct the paint and do a coating, mostly because I couldn't decide. In the end my detailer made the decision for me and cleaned up a couple spots on my paint and did a full Gyeon Can Coat on the vehicle without a correction. The can coat actually can go over a lot of the other coatings as well. So all my trim has trim and can coat. All my windows have view and can coat except the windshield. The other thing, that as far as Gyeon is concern, my Jeep was the first ever to receive Trim Coat on the soft top windows. I was told that Gyeon USA had to contact the chemist in South Korea to make sure it was going to work and not melt the windows. In the end it worked and the results are so far great. The best part about the soft top was that it tighten up the fitment of the rear window panel. The 2 tabs have yet to blow out from pressure since I got my soft top back a week ago. Also the plastic windows were much more taunt than they were before the fabric and trim coats.

I will try to add some photos later. Especially of the soft top.

(BTW, Can Coat is a 12 month life expectancy. This means that if you scratch the coating or paint you can redo it once a year and do a paint correction with each reapplication. Had I done a more expensive and durable coating it would have been a must to do a paint correction before coating it.)

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Good morning!

Thanks for the insight!
I had someone apply it. It’s still awesome. Cleans so easy. Just research YouTube on two bucket system and get a pressure washer and you can get it perfectly clean in like 30 minutes. Best investment I made was ceramic coating. Depends what you want to do with it though, If you plan on wheeling a lot in the Southwest or out west I might just pass on it knowing I’m going to scratch it snyway

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara that is black. Getting ready to do the first waxing of the paint. The question is this... what is the best wax that will not turn white when it dries? I can't stand when you accidentally get some wax on a piece of rubber or plastic and then can't get the white residue completely off. Plus inevitably the wax will get in some nook where you can't get it out of and on a black Jeep it sticks out like a sore thumb.
I quit waxing I use Blue Corral Wash and Wax every time my vehicles gets a bath it gets waxed !

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have used Adam‘s products for years. I like the Adam’s buttery wax. It will not leave stains on the vinyl such as your fenders and what not. I just waxed my Rubicon last week with this wax along with the Addams detail spray.

61980E24-406E-4BE0-BF99-6D9315AD46E8.jpeg
Sponsored