JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Hello everyone.
I was looking for my next car and test drove a new JL Sahara last weekend. What a great SUV! Reminds me of MB Gelen or LR Defender that's I've always loved but couldn't find new (LR) or afford (in the case of MB)
I do have a couple of questions if I may and I thank everyone in advance

1. Test drove 6-speed MT and loved it. How is the reliability of that transmission? I heard it's a Toyota transmission so I'm assuming it should be pretty bulletproof?
2. Disappointed that Sahara can't come equipped with steel bumpers. Would you go buy steel bumpers after the sale or try to work it in the deal somehow?
3. Fender flares. Are there any aftermarket options to close the gaps between the front bumper and fender flares? Don't particularly like the open tire look of a dune buggy and want something that shows no tire tread looking at the jeep head on.
4. And in case I ever decide to start modding, ARB. I can't seem to find any ARB front bumper options for JL. I've googled a couple of pics of JK Jeeps with ARB bumper but can't find anything for JL.

Thanks everyone and I'm excited to be here and soon join Jeep family.
Sponsored

Lacroix1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JL
Congrats, got mine few weeks ago and love it so far!

Not mentioned in your list, don't make the mistake I did, make sure to get the Tow Package; included are: upgraded alternator, AUX switches, Hitch and 7 ping wiring as well as upgraded battery; all this for $795... to add them separately is extremely expensive.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You can order "STEEL BUMPERS" with your JL order and -

If you want the benefits as Lacroix1 mentioned--you've gotta order the--HD TOW GROUP/HD ELECTRICAL GROUP--

The EUROPEAN models have that gap covered--as you mentioned--talk to your dealer-

Good luck

JIMBO

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone.
I was looking for my next car and test drove a new JL Sahara last weekend. What a great SUV! Reminds me of MB Gelen or LR Defender that's I've always loved but couldn't find new (LR) or afford (in the case of MB)
I do have a couple of questions if I may and I thank everyone in advance

1. Test drove 6-speed MT and loved it. How is the reliability of that transmission? I heard it's a Toyota transmission so I'm assuming it should be pretty bulletproof?
2. Disappointed that Sahara can't come equipped with steel bumpers. Would you go buy steel bumpers after the sale or try to work it in the deal somehow?
3. Fender flares. Are there any aftermarket options to close the gaps between the front bumper and fender flares? Don't particularly like the open tire look of a dune buggy and want something that shows no tire tread looking at the jeep head on.
4. And in case I ever decide to start modding, ARB. I can't seem to find any ARB front bumper options for JL. I've googled a couple of pics of JK Jeeps with ARB bumper but can't find anything for JL.

Thanks everyone and I'm excited to be here and soon join Jeep family.
Can't confirm that the 6 speed is made by Toyota, or even produced in house but based off of a Toyota design, but I haven't heard anything bad about it so far as far as reliability. Some in the forums find 6th gear to be too high for their tastes but you should find it good for maintaining a good cruising speed on the interstate.

I think you'll have to go aftermarket for steel bumpers (For the Sahara), but keep in mind that will make it difficult to get the "euro style" bumper gap blocker things that the Sport/S models have that you like to properly attach.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have a pretty basic JLU Sahara, it has remote start and the headliners and that’s about it so no steel bumpers, aux switches, tow package etc,,, and to be honest it’s pretty darn nice just the way it is

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Thanks everyone. I'm gathering that Tow Package is a worthy upgrade, thanks for the tip.
So you can order steel bumpers on Sahara? I didn't see it in the ordering guide nor online builder. Would I get any credit for the plastic bumpers or is it just simply like buying parts on top of the price?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If going Sahara, I’d definitely consider the selectrac 4 auto option.

Haven’t heard too much about it so far in terms of reliability.

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i

I would love to since I've had FT 4WD SUV's before but for some reason 6MT doesn't have that option

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Has anyone actually gotten the Selectrac yet? I haven't seen any come through my dealer yet, but it seems like a good Idea to have a full time system.

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
No one knows anything on ARB bumper?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Is it possible to order these euro aero caps?

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Is it possible to order these euro aero caps?
Most people pull that stuff off the bumpers, so there should be some takeoffs available somewhere. Probably cheap, due to little demand.

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Most people pull that stuff off the bumpers, so there should be some takeoffs available somewhere. Probably cheap, due to little demand.
Wonder if they will bolt on to Sahara bumper without any drilling.
It's a shame the whole fender can't come closer to the bumper in the painted form