Sponsored

Painted fenders or not?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Well matching painted fenders and top is critical to building the ugliest out of the factory configuration. There is an all gray JKU vomit monster near me, its so damn hideous...

ITs like guys with bad breath that are overly friendly... how do you break it to them. They drive along happily waving to people and nobody waves back. Maybe the NFL can do a fund raiser to get them retrofited with black ones
Taking care of the greying of the black parts is a pia, not to mention with the new design with the led and black trim there is far less painted surface to deal with. Painted equals best of both worlds IMHO.
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I guess we still have to wait and see how well the non-painted fenders will handle the sun. Faded Wrangler fenders are a guaranteed "feature" and I'm assuming the JL will be no different. Here's hoping they're using some new material or manufacturing process that proves me wrong.
Same with the hardtop, if it's rough like in the past it will always collect stains. Namely bird shit!

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Ceramic coat all the paint and you won't have to worry about shit. Painted fenders will always look better unless you have matt running boards, matt bumpers & matt wheels to match. This is all really a matter of opinion of what you think LOOKS best. Don't worry about upkeep, because when everything is fresh and clean, you're going to be glad you went with what you thought looked BEST.

Wrangler's don't need to look like rugged mountain goats, just like real men don't have to be combat vets.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Well matching painted fenders and top is critical to building the ugliest out of the factory configuration. There is an all gray JKU vomit monster near me, its so damn hideous...
You drive in your Ford Edge past a gray JKU and it is the ”hideous vomit monster” of the two vehicles involved?

1041911D-5212-460A-9055-3B3782ED3E1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
I was all for body colored fenders with matching top when I was doing my build. But after doing a side-by-side comparison with non-painted fenders and body colored top I think I like the latter better. Especially when I put on black/matte wheels. It's a subjective discussion so get what you like personally.

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
You drive in your Ford Edge past a gray JKU and it is the ”hideous vomit monster” of the two vehicles involved?

I'm nominating PavementWarrior as Russian Bot of the Day.

Sorry Valentino, you've been dethroned.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'm going painted fenders for my weekend/offroad Wrangler. I've always thought painted fenders look the best but never liked how Jeep forced you to get them with the painted hard top, a $2000 option. I also really like how the black inner fender gives it a two tone look. For $400 I figure if they appear they cannot handle my abuse I could sell or trade them.

OP
OP
Kansascoast

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
I guess we still have to wait and see how well the non-painted fenders will handle the sun. Faded Wrangler fenders are a guaranteed "feature" and I'm assuming the JL will be no different. Here's hoping they're using some new material or manufacturing process that proves me wrong.
I never thought about the fading....just about had my mind made up to go unpainted....now something else to think about.

Sponsored

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Black for me. I just like the contrast. I also drive down long gravel road to the ranch, and I think painted would get chipped up.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
In person, looked at about 50 JKUs on the lot and the painted top/fenders looked best to me. But the black/black looks nice on the JLU with the online configuration. Or maybe black top, painted fenders...ughhh, who knows.

I will probably wait until I see/drive one in person, but my gut is the all painted will appeal to me the most. I can see plastic better for regular offroad. I can do clear wrap, which would give the better look with some protection for minimal off roading. The blasitc (yes black plastic) bits on my cars have always been the biggest pain "extra" thing to detail. You ahve to clean paint, then lots of plastics...since I'm not obsessive, those wore and made the car look dated the fastest.

Just my opinion of course! Maybe go look at the JKUs and see what appeals to you the most.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Black fenders all the way. My painted ones now took a beating from the rock chips. Additionally, for anyone who has ever had the fading issue. Most auto parts stores carry a product called Back to Black. The absolute best thing I have ever seen. Sop top, hard top, bumpers, fenders. Works like magic on them all.

Last edited:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

Yup, mine is 10 years old, I like its styling way better than the newer ones. It hauls an amazing amount of stuff and can fit tall Vikings no problem, a jku simply cant.

I hate the solid paint styling, and the bigger the more bland looking imho.

And to be fair, I am in love with the styling of the 2dr Wrangler with black top/fenders, and think its perfect (again my preference), an instant classic, so anything detouring from that probably gets unfairly judged by me.

I guess I am starting to get used to seeing 4 dr wranglers, and 2 dr wranglers with doors. Growing up my older brothers cj-7 (I dont think he even had a top for it) was the envy of us younger kids, guess I never lost that.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I never thought about the fading....just about had my mind made up to go unpainted....now something else to think about.
Yeah, it's just one of those Wrangler things. A bottle of Back to Black works nicely, though. I'm hoping they've got some better material being used for the JL fenders, but it ain't the end of the world if they need that little extra care. Besides, there's a sense of therapy when one washes and details a Jeep, you know?
Sponsored