Sponsored

iOS 12 and CarPlay

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Anyone have issues with CarPlay disconnecting on its own even though the phone remains plugged into a USB Port? CarPlay will then reconnect on its own, but very annoying when you are trying to listen to music or PodCast.
Sponsored

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
Anyone have issues with CarPlay disconnecting on its own even though the phone remains plugged into a USB Port? CarPlay will then reconnect on its own, but very annoying when you are trying to listen to music or PodCast.
Yes I was having this happen but mine would also stop charging. It would sometimes go in and out quickly sometimes not so quick. I believe the problem was the usb cable. I switched them and now everything works fine.

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yes I was having this happen but mine would also stop charging. It would sometimes go in and out quickly sometimes not so quick. I believe the problem was the usb cable. I switched them and now everything works fine.
I had heard that CarPlay was very very finicky and would only work with Apple USB cables and so I have not used any after market cables. I had swapped out multiple Apple cables and still the issue remains.

Anyone else?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The only issue I've seen is it won't auto-connect sometimes and it appears to be some kind of race condition between U-Connect booting up fully and the Smart USB plug re-waking. If you notice, when you turn off your car, your Center Console USB port works still (they said for 1 hour but I have tried it in the morning and it still works). It looks like it WAKES UP if you unplug it. Or at least it lights back up, but POWER is ALWAYS on, or so it seems. Also ref: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/12-volt-or-usb-always-on.8688/

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
The only issue I've seen is it won't auto-connect sometimes and it appears to be some kind of race condition between U-Connect booting up fully and the Smart USB plug re-waking. If you notice, when you turn off your car, your Center Console USB port works still (they said for 1 hour but I have tried it in the morning and it still works). It looks like it WAKES UP if you unplug it. Or at least it lights back up, but POWER is ALWAYS on, or so it seems. Also ref: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/12-volt-or-usb-always-on.8688/
Does this mean it would best to use USB port #1 (dashboard) so as to avoid this race???

Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I think they are the same wiring though.. Part of the Smart USB setup. I will have to test some more with USB #1, but I think that will just change the priority, so like if 2 devices are plugged in, to #1 and #2, which gets carplay priority.

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
My iPhone X won’t even launch CarPlay it is charging so the cable is functional
Make sure that you have Restrictions turned off for CarPlay.

Mine didn’t work at first due to this.

Austin Beitia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
CarPlay works but the Jeep doesn’t notify my messages when connected to Bluetooth

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Some cables will charge but not work with CarPlay. Try a real apple cable, it will work

Agreed... the owner's manual even specifies using the factory cable.

Apple CarPlay — If Equipped
Apple CarPlay allows you to use your voice to interact
with Siri through your vehicle’s voice recognition system,
and use your smartphone’s data plan to project your
iPhone and a number of its apps onto your Uconnect
touchscreen. Connect your iPhone 5, or higher, to one of
the media USB ports, using the factory-provided Lightning
cable
and press the new CarPlay icon that replaces your
“Phone” icon on the main menu bar to begin Apple
CarPlay.

Sponsored

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
I'll second this. Had the same issue. It was my cable as well. Got a mount and used these cables and haven't had an issue since.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Agreed... the owner's manual even specifies using the factory cable.

Apple CarPlay — If Equipped
Apple CarPlay allows you to use your voice to interact
with Siri through your vehicle’s voice recognition system,
and use your smartphone’s data plan to project your
iPhone and a number of its apps onto your Uconnect
touchscreen. Connect your iPhone 5, or higher, to one of
the media USB ports, using the factory-provided Lightning
cable
and press the new CarPlay icon that replaces your
“Phone” icon on the main menu bar to begin Apple
CarPlay.
While there are cheap cables out there, this is nothing more than hype to get you to buy the OEM cables. Any MFi-certified cable should be fine, just make sure it isn’t damaged. I bought the Anker Powerline+ cables (in red) and they work just fine.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How do you get google maps to work rather than using Apple maps. They are awful.
Never had an issue with Apple Maps. It's pretty accurate.

But, if you just open Google Maps when you're on your phone and it's connected to the system, it will automatically pop up. It also should be one of the apps you can select on the touch screen of the JL
Sponsored