Cloned order HELP?!?!

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I was hoping those familiar with cloned orders could help shed some light on my situation.

Background:

- I ordered my Jeep on 6/8/18 and was given a VIN number. For simplicity’s sake, let’s call this VIN #1.
- VIN #1 was built, but sat in inspection “I” status for about 40 days.
- I called Jeep and they opened a case on VIN #1 and they found an “issue with the build,” so they cloned my order.
- I was given a new VIN number on 8/21. Again, for simplicity’s sake let’s call this VIN #2.
- VIN #2 has been built and just reached Inspection “I” status late last week.
- VIN #1 shows up and is delivered at my dealer late last week too.

Here is where my questions stem from…

My salesman told me he contacted FCA and that my original build (VIN #1) made it to inspection status, but was scrapped after they found an issue with it. He then told me that FCA then created a new build with the same VIN number (VIN #1) and that is the Jeep on the lot. Basically, he is saying the Jeep with VIN #1 that is on the lot did not have any issues with the build.

He said when he scanned VIN #1 it shows it being sold to me. However, when I looked up the window sticker, it did not show my name. He mentioned the cloned order, VIN #2, is likely a ghost order and wasn’t sure if it even existed. However, I received a build sheet from CryptoStickers on VIN #2, so I don't think it is just a "ghost" order.

If your order was cloned, did you end up purchasing VIN #1 or the new cloned VIN #2? If you purchased VIN #2, did you track VIN #1 to see if it arrived at the dealer as well? If you purchased VIN #1, do you know if VIN #2 was a “ghost” order or it did exist?

Basically, I am trying to determine if VIN #1 and VIN #2 both physically exist.

I am thinking I should hold out for VIN #2 to work its way through the process. I am not too fond of knowingly purchasing a brand new car that had a build issue.

My salesman is trying to help me out on this matter and he hasn’t experienced the cloned order process, so I am not sure he knows all the facts either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Basically, I am trying to determine if VIN #1 and VIN #2 both physically exist.
I am thinking I should hold out for VIN #2 to work its way through the process. I am not too fond of knowingly purchasing a brand new car that had a build issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You already know both exist , and that 1 had a build issue . I'd wait for 2 , and then decide . The salesman has a motivation to sell 1 and bank his commission . Then he'll sell 2 to the next guy . He may not say that , but that would be the salesman's immediate motivation .

And your motivation ought to be to get the best one . That will require test driving both at highway speeds to check the steering . If you test drive 1 now , and the steering is faulty , then you can wait for 2 knowing you made the right decision .

OP
OP
stangken

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
You already know both exist , and that 1 had a build issue . I'd wait for 2 , and then decide . The salesman has a motivation to sell 1 and bank his commission . Then he'll sell 2 to the next guy . He may not say that , but that would be the salesman's immediate motivation .

And your motivation ought to be to get the best one . That will require test driving both at highway speeds to check the steering . If you test drive 1 now , and the steering is faulty , then you can wait for 2 knowing you made the right decision .
Thanks. I didn’t know if the dealer could possibly reroute vin #2 from getting to their dealer or not. In a way it sucks for the dealer as they will have a car they didn’t order, whether it be vin #1 or vin #2.

I wish it was that easy to just test drive it but the dealer isn’t a local dealer. They are many hundreds of miles away.

I told him I planned on waiting it out.
Sponsored