Sponsored

Why did you buy a Jeep with bad steering?

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
Sorry, I swear I'm not being a jerk who is rubbing salt in wounds. I have a 2 door Rubicon on order and I am curious to why those who are having play in the steering problems bought the thing. Did the issues creep up after purchase? Were they not noticed during purchase due to the excitement level of a new Jeep? As I said, I have one on order and I'm both excited and already mentally prepared that it will have play in the wheel and I will have to walk away.
My steering is perfect!
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I agree. While yes some people seem to have steering issues a lot DONT. And I think the majority don't. I think also a large percentage don't know what to expect from a Solid Front Axle vehicle and one with no aerodynamics at that. I sort of noticed the same when we bought our 2018 4Runner. It didn't steer as great as the 07' Xterra we replaced it with. These new vehicles have steering that seems almost too easy to move, its like you don't have to apply force. I can let go my steering in my JLU and have it drive straight no matter what speed I'm at but If i touch the steering wheel and move slightly left or right it will respond easily.
If Iā€™m not mistaken isnā€™t the problem that the steering is too loose?
I donā€™t think the solid front axle has anything to do with it. The first Jeeps I ever drove where a couple YJā€™s, and I remembered the steering being way too sensitive and sloppy. It was great around a tight parking lot, but on the highway it was all over the place (short wheel base doesnā€™t help either). I think all cars are expected to have tighter steering now than they use to.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Sorry, I swear I'm not being a jerk who is rubbing salt in wounds. I have a 2 door Rubicon on order and I am curious to why those who are having play in the steering problems bought the thing. Did the issues creep up after purchase? Were they not noticed during purchase due to the excitement level of a new Jeep? As I said, I have one on order and I'm both excited and already mentally prepared that it will have play in the wheel and I will have to walk away.

You might want to test drive it at highway speeds .

If it is all over the place , the salesman will tell you : "Oh , you will get used to it , and it has a warranty."

If you hear that , walk .

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
You might want to test drive it at highway speeds .

If it is all over the place , the salesman will tell you : "Oh , you will get used to it , and it has a warranty."

If you hear that , walk .
Kudos to Jeep Informant. He really does a great job with these videos.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Iā€™m walking into my dealer tomorrow and test driving a JLUR. I have my build ready and Iā€™m supposed to put my deposit down as well. I will drive the one they have and see if I notice any play at highway speed...donā€™t think Iā€™ll get to do the 100mile test drives some have gotten away with. Either way mine should be ready for pick up December, Iā€™m hoping his issue has been addressed by then. I just wish fca acknowledges the problem, it would ease your minds that a solution is coming.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Iā€™m walking into my dealer tomorrow and test driving a JLUR. I have my build ready and Iā€™m supposed to put my deposit down as well. I will drive the one they have and see if I notice any play at highway speed...donā€™t think Iā€™ll get to do the 100mile test drives some have gotten away with. Either way mine should be ready for pick up December, Iā€™m hoping his issue has been addressed by then. I just wish fca acknowledges the problem, it would ease your minds that a solution is coming.
please post back here with your review. Curious as to what youā€™ll find.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
This steering thing. Problem - no problem - a little -a lot -Jeep has a fix - fix didn't do anything. Now I see where a youtube video shows you how to do a DIY steering box adjustment. I do have a 2019 Sahara on order which I will test drive (probably December sometime) before I actually accept it. Don't see much sense in taking a test drive in one on the lot now as it seems like the perceived problem varies between each vehicle.
I do know that my 2013 JKU steers just fine. I don't remember any fuss over steering prior to the JLs so they must have a different feel.
I'll let air out of an over inflated tire but I'm not touching the steering control box.

Sponsored

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
I test drove multiple JLs, every single one had the horrible steering. But, I knew that it was an electronic steering motor powering the pump and I made a bet that a software flash would cure it...and it did. So, I am happy I went ahead and brought one home.

Unfortunately, dealers/people/FCA started jacking around with the steering boxes before they gave the software fixes time to make it around the nation so now we've got hardware issues too and it has compounded the problem.
Ok so I picked my new Rubicon up last week and it wanders a little, too much for my liking. Wouldn't you think a brand new built a few weeks ago Rubi would have this "flash" done before it was delivered to me? Is this flash something I can do, or do I bring to dealer (mostly a no go on that option)? I am about to start jacking with the steering box and tightening the ball joints as others have done because that wandering is way too bad and dangerous.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Ok so I picked my new Rubicon up last week and it wanders a little, too much for my liking. Wouldn't you think a brand new built a few weeks ago Rubi would have this "flash" done before it was delivered to me? Is this flash something I can do, or do I bring to dealer (mostly a no go on that option)? I am about to start jacking with the steering box and tightening the ball joints as others have done because that wandering is way too bad and dangerous.
You won't need the flash since it was taken care of at the factory. I just came back from the dealer asking about doing the flash even though my vin# didn't get flagged for one. I just wanted to eliminate all the possibilities. They said "NO!" The system won't allow it.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
This steering thing. Problem - no problem - a little -a lot -Jeep has a fix - fix didn't do anything. Now I see where a youtube video shows you how to do a DIY steering box adjustment. I do have a 2019 Sahara on order which I will test drive (probably December sometime) before I actually accept it. Don't see much sense in taking a test drive in one on the lot now as it seems like the perceived problem varies between each vehicle.
I do know that my 2013 JKU steers just fine. I don't remember any fuss over steering prior to the JLs so they must have a different feel.
I'll let air out of an over inflated tire but I'm not touching the steering control box.
Don't forget your test drive at highway speeds . Don't allow your test drive Jeep to bump a police car .

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Go to YouTube. Look for a video by JeepInforment. He's a Jeep mechanic who FOUND the problem with the steering after pulling the entire front end off a JL Rubicon. The video shows him trying many things, then suddenly he does find the fault and figures out how to fix it and shows his fixing it. As I write this I don't even remember what its called but it's a bolt connecting a tie rod to the steering box that was the wrong size- poor design. However, he shows exactly how to fix it so you should be all set. FAC still insists it's a software issue but he's working with them to fix it. Good luck.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I think Brandon with Jeep Informant is awesome, But other than his Title of the Video, Please tell me anyone who can show me where in his video does he call it "Fixed" ? Even in the comments he states "I posted this video so that while everyone is waiting on FCA to issue a TSB or Recall they could at least get a temporary fix ."
Sponsored