Sponsored

Reviews Compilation: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport, Sahara, Rubicon (w/ Videos)

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The only review that matters
Great video!

I really want to like the Sahara trim and the whole paint matched top and fenders thing but I cant lol. The addition of the USB-C in the aux area is a nice touch too, now my silly droid phone can plug right in to something without needing extra junk.
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Seems to me that many if not most of these journalists are reviewing the wrang from the perspective of a grocery getter suv Only a few seem. To grasp that this is a true dedicated jeep that will see actual dirt roads and trails. I saw car and drivers review and the slammed the manual maybe they are use to super short throw sticks as found in sports cars. I dunno I do wish fourwheeler jeep or off-road would do a review of the manual off road. I want to read their opinions. As for me I am 90% sure I am going with a manual the few things I have heard about it is that it is a much better trans than the jk. I test drove a jk manuaL and it was fine if this better then sit is probably great. Hope so

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I'm struck by the unanimity of the first impression reviews. The authors all accept the fundamental design goal of the JL, which was to bring the Wrangler up to par as a suburban SUV, without diminishing its off road capabilities. And they all agree that FCA has succeeded admirably.

As a newbie to Wrangler World, I would have expected at least one purist among the reviewers to make the case for something he found missing, perhaps a configuration that offered all the off road chops of the Rubicon without any, or at least most, of the creature comfort amenities that significantly jack up its price, and that some might argue detract from the experience of driving it. When I started researching Wranglers a couple of weeks ago, that's what I thought all Wranglers were. I'm a bit surprised to learn I can't actually buy a model like that off the lot, although I suppose I could mod a base Sport. Is that what many do?

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me that many if not most of these journalists are reviewing the wrang from the perspective of a grocery getter suv Only a few seem. To grasp that this is a true dedicated jeep that will see actual dirt roads and trails. I saw car and drivers review and the slammed the manual maybe they are use to super short throw sticks as found in sports cars. I dunno I do wish fourwheeler jeep or off-road would do a review of the manual off road. I want to read their opinions. As for me I am 90% sure I am going with a manual the few things I have heard about it is that it is a much better trans than the jk. I test drove a jk manuaL and it was fine if this better then sit is probably great. Hope so
I ordered the manual, cant wait for it, I love how its a shorter throw as well. I think Jeep needed to redo the manual so to speak, but they dont need to try and sports it up at all IMO. The TJ throw was like chucking a frisbee all day everyday, but I wouldnt trade it for anything!....well I mean I did trade it in....figure of speech.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the manual, cant wait for it, I love how its a shorter throw as well. I think Jeep needed to redo the manual so to speak, but they dont need to try and sports it up at all IMO. The TJ throw was like chucking a frisbee all day everyday, but I wouldnt trade it for anything!....well I mean I did trade it in....figure of speech.
My only real complaint about the JK was the manual transmission(I had two manual JKs, and two Autos.) Maybe like the writers I come from a sports car background before I fell in love with Wrangler. I never owner a manual truck other than a SRT10 Ram, but I don't recall that being anything like the JK. I didn't mind the shake at all, but the throw was like rowing a boat and if I attempted to shift too quickly it seemed the gears would always grind a little. Both of my manuals started to squeek when I would depress the clutch with less than 10k miles on them. All that being said I would still own a manual JK, and have very high hopes for the JL manual. I feel like anyone that reviews the manual JL needs to drive a manual JK first.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm a bit surprised to learn I can't actually buy a model like that off the lot, although I suppose I could mod a base Sport. Is that what many do?
In the JK that role would be filled by the Willys, and as there are no Special Editions yet there is no equivalent Willys trimmlevel in the JL, but likely that too will arrive in a few months time by next summer/MY I would suspect.

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
I'd like to see a Sahara off road in a review...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
That was hard to listen to
Dude seemed super nervous to be on camera. Its like the guy that was suppose to do the review called in sick and one of the camera operators had to step in.

Sponsored

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
The most recent TFL video was a Sahara doing some rock/hill climbing. Made it look easy.

Thank you!
I totally missed that one. There are so many reviews out there at the moment, specially by TFL. Perfect for me.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
FourWheeler also had this to say about the manual:

"However, we did note that the clutch on our preproduction Jeep felt artificial and difficult to modulate the friction zone. Jeep engineers tell us that there is a fix for that coming to production builds, so we didn’t put too much weight behind it."

Heaven only knows why they would show off their first new Wrangler in a decade with a defective clutch.
Define defective.
Sponsored