First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Just got my newest issue of Car & Driver magazine. They tested a Sahara with the 2.0L turbo and electric assist. They really like the engine but had some really unkind things to say about the steering. According to them, the Sahara's street tires with soft sidewalls make the problem worse at highway speeds. Worth a read if you are considering the 2.0L engine.

Our JLUR now has 4.6K miles on it. I guess I'm getting use to the steering since I'm not all over the road at highway speeds. I did lower the tire pressure which does seem to help.
Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Just got my newest issue of Car & Driver magazine. They tested a Sahara with the 2.0L turbo and electric assist. They really like the engine but had some really unkind things to say about the steering. According to them, the Sahara's street tires with soft sidewalls make the problem worse at highway speeds. Worth a read if you are considering the 2.0L engine.

Our JLUR now has 4.6K miles on it. I guess I'm getting use to the steering since I'm not all over the road at highway speeds. I did lower the tire pressure which does seem to help.
Please check the Jeep Informant steering fix: caster bolts + steering box adjustment.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Also keep in mind that every JL is different. Some do not need any changes to the hardware at all. There are many cases of simply needing the vehicle calibrations updated in the computer.

OP
OP
BVGeezer

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Here is a quote from the Car & Driver story: "The new-gen model (JL in Jeep-speak) is by far the best-handling and most refined Wrangler ever built, and while the Sahara's cushiony sidewalls help soften the ride, they also contribute to the wooliness in the Jeep's steering. Keeping a Wrangler in its lane at highway speeds is harder than solving differential equations, and the recirculating-ball steering does the thing no directional favors.... A widely accepted and helpful notion is to think of these off-road vehicles as family pets. Doing so will put you in a forgiving mood when yours inevitably and unpredictably feints toward a ditch as though the optional LED headlights have spotted a squirrel on the side of the road and the steering requires a corrective tug on the leash. Hey, these things are made to wander."

Does this sound familiar to you? Nice to see an automotive publication put it in writing. FCA has a problem and knows it. This is not just a bunch of crazy consumers complaining. Wonder when someone will be seriously injured or killed because of this problem. File complaints with the NTSB. Sooner or later the lawyers and courts will sort it out.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The tires have nothing to do with it. I ran mine at lots of different pressures with zero change, which is what I expected, and then when I put on the KO2s with 3-ply sidewalls and a LT-E load rating there still was no change.

It's amazing how many people attribute this steering issue to tires.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Here is a quote from the Car & Driver story: "The new-gen model (JL in Jeep-speak) is by far the best-handling and most refined Wrangler ever built, and while the Sahara's cushiony sidewalls help soften the ride, they also contribute to the wooliness in the Jeep's steering. Keeping a Wrangler in its lane at highway speeds is harder than solving differential equations, and the recirculating-ball steering does the thing no directional favors.... A widely accepted and helpful notion is to think of these off-road vehicles as family pets. Doing so will put you in a forgiving mood when yours inevitably and unpredictably feints toward a ditch as though the optional LED headlights have spotted a squirrel on the side of the road and the steering requires a corrective tug on the leash. Hey, these things are made to wander."

Does this sound familiar to you? Nice to see an automotive publication put it in writing. FCA has a problem and knows it. This is not just a bunch of crazy consumers complaining. Wonder when someone will be seriously injured or killed because of this problem. File complaints with the NTSB. Sooner or later the lawyers and courts will sort it out.
“The new-gen model is by far the best-handling and most refined Wrangler ever built.” ... is what the journalist wrote.

The rest is what a person who drives nice cars all day, every day, says when they get behind the wheel of a Wrangler.

Translation: this is the best Jeep ever, but don’t expect it to steer like a 911.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The tires have nothing to do with it. I ran mine at lots of different pressures with zero change, which is what I expected, and then when I put on the KO2s with 3-ply sidewalls and a LT-E load rating there still was no change.

It's amazing how many people attribute this steering issue to tires.
I have to partially disagree. The tires don’t impact the steering as much as the handling, especially the two door. My two door wrangler Rubicon can get squirrely when the rear suspension is off load and in a corner or under moderate to heavy braking. It has a lot to do with the tires.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Just so we're clear here, cam bolts to adjust caster are jerked off... only use adjustable control arms if you're going to wheel your jeep.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Off load? Was that supposed to be off road?
No, I mean when the suspension does not have a load on it and the weight distribution goes to the front of the vehicle. The shift of weight and larger tires impact the handling.

Sponsored

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Jeep informant guy used them in the video. Id advise anyone not to use them in favor of adjustable control arms for several reasons , mostly structural integrity. Do not let yr mechanic at the dealership drill out your brackets and adjust your caster with cam bolts.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Thanks for the reply and explanation. I've never used cam bolts on an SFA vehicle....instead always opting to cut/turn the knuckles to get the correct caster before I ever build the links (control arms). I know a lot of guys that have used them on trail rigs, but this is the first I've heard of them being problematic (again, not saying you're not 100% correct....I just don't have the experience with them to be authoritative on the subject).

If you don't mind reading my edit above...I'd appreciate any additional info you can give on what the 'several reasons' are that you mentioned.

Thanks again!
Think about it, you are cutting a 1 inch notch into an already flimsy control arm mount and cam'ing caster into it with a special bolt. You can never go back to the original set up unless you cut off the bracket and re weld a new on OR weld in a washer into the bracket. or some other ninja nonsense like that. Lower control arm/ caster effects a lot of your road manners , how yr jeep handles a speed so switching to a more robust adjustable control arm is much more strong and reliable and easier to adjust caster . Plis if you are going to lift it with a solid kit you're probably going to add them anyway. When it comes to caster and lifting the vehicle , theres a sweet spot where the steering holds center real nice and if too much it feeling to twitchy. plus adding bigger tires you'd probably want to throw about 6 degrees of caster to offset the heavier unsprung weight and rolling mass. of course then you'd probably need upper control arms to get at that pinion angle ... we going down the rabbit hole here.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Ya, I understand all that....the buggy in my avatar is one of a bunch of vehicles I've built, from full on tube chassis ground up to SFA swaps from IFS.

What I was asking was...what fails with the cam bolts...the bolts themselves, the brackets or both?
Both really, you can only torque the cam bolt so much because it needs to be timed and if you over torque the bolt the bushing binds so your does your suspension as a result. As such they can come loose on the trail and it makes for a fun ride home if ya know what i mean.... the bracket itself i believe is 1/4 inch stated i believe?>

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Ya, I understand all that....the buggy in my avatar is one of a bunch of vehicles I've built, from full on tube chassis ground up to SFA swaps from IFS.

What I was asking was...what fails with the cam bolts...the bolts themselves, the brackets or both?
Your buggy has a sold front axle I'm confused
Sponsored