Sponsored

Free ESS disable via hood pin

LibertasJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ (former), JL (current)
I successfully disabled the ESS “feature” without any other unintended effects and it was free. Under the hood there are two hood pins near the front drivers side of the engine bay. The one closer to the drivers side did the trick. Push the two side pins to slide it up through the bracket. Remove the wire by opening the connection at the bottom of the pin. Pull it all away from the bracket and reconnect the wire. Zip tie the pin horizontally to a nearby wire.

No error lights. Remote start still works fine. If you go to the messages screen you will see a message saying start stop is inactive because the hood is open. Alarm works fine.

F1632011-0A83-4F88-BD3E-147FA8F7AAFD.jpeg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@LibertasJeep

With this post in mind, it is obvious you have taken little time to just read past forum posts.

The info you posted is old old new and well covered in various threads.

MOST, will not do this plunger disconnect to disable ESS as doing so does throw an error notice on the evic /on the display cluster. Most do not want to see an error notice each time they start their new JL.

Take time to read, read past forum posts as there is lots to learn... lots that others have discovered already..

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
@LibertasJeep

With this post in mind, it is obvious you have taken little time to just read past forum posts.

The info you posted is old old new and well covered in various threads.

MOST, will not do this plunger disconnect to disable ESS as doing so does throw an error notice on the evic /on the display cluster. Most do not want to see an error notice each time they start their new JL.

Take time to read, read past forum posts as there is lots to learn... lots that others have discovered already..
Typically I agree with you @Rhinebeck01 but I think you’re mistaken this time. I thought the same as you at first BUT it appears @LibertasJeep did a little different trick. He did not disconnect but simply moved the whole pin mechanism out of the way. In essence tricking the Jeep into still sensing it and not throwing a code (he mentions specifically that no codes show). Seems like a different enough work around compared to others to warrant a new thread.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@bilash31

You are right, it is a different approach to disabling ESS. I quickly breezed through his post assuming it was the same old plunger disconnect which it is not. My apology to @LibertasJeep for thinking his was the same old ESS disable approach....

STILL, with this approach ...Many, will not do this to disable ESS...... Doing so does throw a message on the evic /on the display cluster, message screen... (xxx.xxx hood is open) this is an error message to me. Most do not want to see an error message, period.

Yes, it seems it may be a far better way to do it though, then to disconnect the plunger altogether approach. For sure a cheaper approach then purchasing a programmer to disable ESS.

Twinjayhawks

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
It worked great for me. I previously had it disconnected (warning light) but reconnecting and removing it from the mount got rid of the constant warning light on the dash with my quick test drive tonight. I will check it further tomorrow with a longer test drive.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Soooo... Jeep warns you about a million inconsequential things, but does not warn you if you drive with the hood open. Brilliant! LOL

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Look in the manual. You can also unplug the voltage sensor from the battery (aside/beneath the negative terminal).

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Soooo... Jeep warns you about a million inconsequential things, but does not warn you if you drive with the hood open. Brilliant! LOL
THIS! They wont let me drive with the door open because of auto stop but if the vehicle senses the hood is open....no big deal.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Wow. Snake those wires into the cabin and attach them to a switch and it sounds like you might have a "between cold cranks" way of getting the JL to remember to keep ESS off, short of buying a programmer, with the ability to change this with a switch flip and not get explicit display panel warnings -- although more subtle message screen messages would be remain, that a programmer would prevent.

Perhaps I'll market this;) along with my dual plunger device that attaches around the volume control, that when pressed, in turn presses the crank and ESS buttons simultaneously consistent with the bull horn post.;)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bull-horn-start-to-deactivate-ess.15264/

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
THIS! They wont let me drive with the door open because of auto stop but if the vehicle senses the hood is open....no big deal.
@OldGuyNewJeep , @mischman I see where you are going but if the hood was open high enough, might it not be visible as such? (Maybe not in the dark.)

If the hood was open but not high enough, wouldn't the locking mechanism engage?

I do though appreciate your sentiments on warning message and safety device/features and priorities.

Sponsored

Twinjayhawks

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
After further testing today... after about 5 min of driving, a warning came up that start/stop is disabled and the same yellow warning on the screen as before. Nice try but, this is not the answer to no start/stop without warning light.

Armando11611

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
After further testing today... after about 5 min of driving, a warning came up that start/stop is disabled and the same yellow warning on the screen as before. Nice try but, this is not the answer to no start/stop without warning light.
Jeep should've just added a button to simply engage/disengage the ESS system....oh wait, they did. Yes it's annoying and so is the stupid light on the dash when disengaged but start messi g with your wiring/engine on your brand new JL. Just push the damn button and hope Jeep updates so can be shut off indef.

Armando11611

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Jeep should've just added a button to simply engage/disengage the ESS system....oh wait, they did. Yes it's annoying and so is the stupid light on the dash when disengaged but start messi g with your wiring/engine on your brand new JL. Just push the damn button and hope Jeep updates so can be shut off indef.
Stop messing**

Twinjayhawks

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I agree with you accept for in the Summer. It is way to hot to have the AC compressor shut down while waiting at a stop light.

OP
OP

LibertasJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ (former), JL (current)
OK folks. You can put away the pitch forks. Turns out this doesn't work as well as I first thought. It took about 30 miles of driving, but I now have the little A@ error light over the fuel level. I guess if you want this to work as it should you have to pay the $130 - which I just did.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html
Sponsored