Sponsored

Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'll see your fuzzy image and raise an actual spy pic of the tailgate swinging open like the JK. ;)

That should leave little doubt.

Jeep Wrangler JL Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU {filename}
Yeah, that's definitely more convincing than the renders which have conflicting queues.

Of note in that image above is the change of location of the giant wiper motor in the rear window from top left to bottom off-centre.

Also what look like pre-production more flexible defroster mounts, which would be nice because I essentially get them warranty replaced every year (on different JKUs 2010, 2012 & 2015) due to hockey and skiing opening them in -20 and colder multiple times a week snaps them at the mounting point.

Could still be a non-final test mule design recycling old parts, but really it's far more convincing of what's to come than some possibly flipped blurry render/image, plus the fact that they altered the back window is a show that they are testing design ideas back there too.
Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Well if they ever use that patent for the flip up rear window that can be clipped down onto the roof they will have to make a few changes not only for the struts to be easily detached but also a way to secure the wiper motor mount. Or maybe the motor stays on and they just give the connectors more slack.

One thing the patent drawings show is they would need to relocate the rear window hinges to the top of the roof instead of below it (where it currently is) otherwise there's just no way the hinges/glass can swing up over the top.

Unfortunately you can't tell from the spy pics or OP's pics whether that change was made. The rear with the top on will be the most interesting view I feel. Not that I want to be driving around with the glass flipped over and hard top on and trap in all the exhaust fumes, but there's been more than a few times where I've needed to carry or store something longer and wished I could just remove the glass. This would be a good solution.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

What a disappointment. After 9 - 10 years of the TJ for Jeep to develop a new wrangler. All they can come up with is small evolution here and there. This JL will have another 9-10 years life = 2027. How old and dated will this JL look compare to the rest of the Cars design then?
I am no car designer. But such "Keeping with the old look" theme is no forward thinking. Unless Chrysler will replace this model in 5-6 years time.
Really not forward thinking IMO.
You're way in the minority if you think it's a disappointment. Most Wrangler owners including myself are happy they kept the same look and formula that's made it such a success. I'm all for progress and change but the Wrangler is unique. Compared to traditional "cars" it's barely changed since the beginning, and that's what lots of owners like about it.

And most of us don't care about how it looks compared to the rest of thedesign, just how it compares to itself (previous generations). The Wrangler's never looked like any other "car" and I for one am glad it's staying that way.

And forward thinking doesn't mean it needs radical styling change. Forward thinking can be new materials, engines, transmission, axles, features, technology, and off-road ability.... all things the JL will get.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
What a disappointment. After 9 - 10 years of the TJ for Jeep to develop a new wrangler. All they can come up with is small evolution here and there. This JL will have another 9-10 years life = 2027. How old and dated will this JL look compare to the rest of the Cars design then?
I am no car designer. But such "Keeping with the old look" theme is no forward thinking. Unless Chrysler will replace this model in 5-6 years time.
I agree but I'm optimistic hoping for lots of cool interior and roof options.

I think on models other than rubicon, where huge custom tires aren't as likely to be installed, smoother, more streamlined/rounded euro bumpers, and larger/wider fenders & seamless running boards may surface.

Mind you, this may not be 100% the new design.
It may be a non-final bumper design or a projected design for only the rubicon where rock rails and a smaller front bumper is desired, versus running boards or euro bumper.

You have to admit, the belt line accent, fender vent, and halo headlamps look modern, it's really the bumpers that look like dated trash.

I genuinely anticipated something like these, and we may get them on the Sport, Sahara, or "SE"

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Like the fender vents, especially if they're functional. But when owners go mudding they might be getting some mud slung at them through those vents when windows are down :facepalm:

Sponsored

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)
Major styling changes was never the focus. Sergio and Manley said many times that the focus was on fixing long standing issues and making it a better Jeep overall. We've seen nothing to suggest that has not been accomplished. Anyone that is not already in a JK will have no reason to buy a JK over a JL and this gives a good path for the Jeep faithful to upgrade for all the right reasons: engine, transmissions, functionality/convenience, and better mileage. Besides they probably HAD to update the Jeep to a solid frame for safety requirements.

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
If you are upset they didn't make greater changes to the styling, then you don't understand the whole concept of a Jeep. That would make the Renegade perfect for you.
I LOL'd. :like:

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon

I think on models other than rubicon, where huge custom tires aren't as likely to be installed, smoother, more streamlined/rounded euro bumpers, and larger/wider fenders & seamless running boards may surface.

It may be a non-final bumper design or a projected design for only the rubicon where rock rails and a smaller front bumper is desired, versus running boards or euro bumper.

You have to admit, the belt line accent, fender vent, and halo headlamps look modern, it's really the bumpers that look like dated trash.

I genuinely anticipated something like these, and we may get them on the Sport, Sahara, or "SE"
Terrible tacked on parts. No thanks, I'll take the version that they rendered.

If this what you're looking for there's already plenty of that available for the JK. Not only do those parts serve no function they actually make it worse when swapping out for aftermarket fenders and decrease clearance.

Eddie_T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Sport, 2015 Charger
I am not an engineer, so there may be a very good reason for this, but can anyone explain to me why, when jeeps have fully removable doors, they don't mount the side mirrors to the frame instead of the doors? would save people a lot of effort trying to mount after market mirrors to make their vehicles street legal when the doors are off. I was hoping this would be a change in the JL, but alas, does not seem to be the case.
My guess would be people would be smashing their doors into the mirrors all the time, and they dont want to deal with replacing them.
I have adjustable door straps that are a good way of avoiding doors hitting frame mounted mirrors. They are a bit long but with some adjustment it works well. Also obviously protects the doors from damage.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
You mean 9-10 years of the JK. Thousands of Jeeps are sold without power windows even, what makes you think it has ever been about "forward thinking." It sells well because what it does it does it best and it hasn't sold out with the changing times. From the sounds of it the JL will perform even better off road than the JK. There is your forward thinking.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept

They all look like a Jeep them trashy Kardashhians would drive.

If you want a vehicle that looks like a Dodge Nitro go buy a Dodge Nitro.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I fail to understand the logic in not only changing the grill (the angry brow grill that has become popular on the JK is bad enough), but changing the number of slots.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
They all look like a Jeep them trashy Kardashhians would drive.

If you want a vehicle that looks like a Dodge Nitro go buy a Dodge Nitro.
*vomits at idea of dodge nitro*
Only non-luxury-sedans I would drive are JLU & Range Rover. All other SUV's ... negative.

& Lol you are a determined sort. I understand many in the longtime Jeep community totally resent my demographic/interest. But we're here, and when Jeep inevitably releases another "SE" Wrangler, you can all have fun resenting us driving them on beaches and in cities but not often in the mud. Our purchase dollars will help the Jeep Brand you know and love brother.

Last edited:

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
Right off the bat I can tell there are probably going to be issues with the fender vent and some third party fenders (like Metal Cloak) playing nicely. It may limit the way they can design their fenders or they will be forced to take the riskier option of offering a fender+panel kit.

Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler JKU Backcountry XPPC
One thing that has always bugged me about my JKU is how uncomfortable, the back seats are for normal to large adults. They are almost straight up and down. It looks to me like the back seats in the rendering are slightly more reclined than the the JK, which would be great if that was the case. Anyone else think so? I can't find an image at the right angle to compare.
Sponsored