Excel spreadsheet - calculate invoice with add ons

slillya

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Wrangler Sport S
So I'm looking to buy a new JLU Sport S. I'm just now getting into the forums, so I apologize if this is a redundant post.

I've attached a spreadsheet where you can click a box (in yes/no column) for which add ons you're including, and it totals the dealer invoice price and the MSRP. At the bottom I calculated what the dealer gets back if you use an affiliate code, dealer holdback, and rough dealership breakeven values.

For the jeep I'm looking at, its $45265 MSRP, and $43238 invoice. If they get 2% back on invoice for affilate pricing, and 3% back on MSRP, then breakeven (calculated by invoice minus those two rebates) is $41015. Can the dealership go lower than this and still make money? How much profit does a dealership aim for with each car sale?

Let me know if you think this spreadsheet is helpful. I didn't populate it with every option that's out there (missed those that are for Sahara and Rubicon specifically. If theres any interest I can add in the rest of the options.
Sponsored

Attachments

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
So I'm looking to buy a new JLU Sport S. I'm just now getting into the forums, so I apologize if this is a redundant post.

I've attached a spreadsheet where you can click a box (in yes/no column) for which add ons you're including, and it totals the dealer invoice price and the MSRP. At the bottom I calculated what the dealer gets back if you use an affiliate code, dealer holdback, and rough dealership breakeven values.

For the jeep I'm looking at, its $45265 MSRP, and $43238 invoice. If they get 2% back on invoice for affilate pricing, and 3% back on MSRP, then breakeven (calculated by invoice minus those two rebates) is $41015. Can the dealership go lower than this and still make money? How much profit does a dealership aim for with each car sale?

Let me know if you think this spreadsheet is helpful. I didn't populate it with every option that's out there (missed those that are for Sahara and Rubicon specifically. If theres any interest I can add in the rest of the options.
Hi @slillya Shane:

With no disrespect intended I have not looked at your attached spreadsheet.

Rather, I'd like to address the nature of your question on whether the dealer can go lower than the percentage numbers you quoted in the body of your post, and still clear profit.

The short answer is that it depends on the dealer. Those that move large amounts of FCA product are given incentives for doing so.

Take Koons Jeep in Vienna, VA. While I can't say for sure that they are still operating under this model, back in April I purchased, as did many others, my JL from them at 5% below Invoice. I was completely happy and would work with them again, but dealerships who offer these deals are often not in the local of the purchaser. Coming from the NY metro area, taking my local commuter rail road into NYC, and then Amtrak and the DC Metro to the dealer could not have been easier. My time was my own on the train and the dealership was literally walking distance from the DC Metro train station.

For what it's worth I gave my local dealer opportunity to do this deal or even one near it, recognizing the cost of my travel to and from Virginia back home. This dealer would not go lower than invoice.

Your California locale does not go unnoticed. Other dealers closer to you have comparable offers, just as sure as Craig Benner, who I worked with at Koons, showed me a map of the States where people who purchased from him lived in, which I think was all but entirely represented: perhaps Hawaii not withstanding. For a fee, cars can be shipped too. Many times Koons has received purchasers whose immediately prior stop was the local airport.

Since they move so many Wranglers, the volume incentives I describe that FCA gives them allow them to still make enough money to have offered this program.

Now: and this is important. My order, and this deal, is contingent of NOT buying off the lot, but rather, placing a factory order, which can take weeks to months for FCA to complete. Mine took about 2 months doing a peak production period. You can't expect these prices on showroom rigs. They come with a convenience cost of driving off with a Wrangler much faster, and in fairness to the dealer, should not come to you at a significantly reduced fair market value beyond what some other prospective buyer who drives locally to the showroom might get.

If you have the flexibility to wait this long, you not only might get better pricing, but not do without features you want, or pay for features you didn't want on a showroom rig.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Your California locale does not go unnoticed. Other dealers closer to you have comparable offers, just as sure as Craig Benner, who I worked with at Koons, showed me a map of the States where people who purchased from him lived in, which I think was all but entirely represented: perhaps Hawaii not withstanding. For a fee, cars can be shipped too. Many times Koons has received purchasers whose immediately prior stop was the local airport.
Craig told me months ago he and Koons do not sell to Cali or Mass . Maybe he has changed , I don't know .

In Cali if you buy or lease out of state , you won't be covered by Cali lemon law , (unless you are military) .

Your spreadsheet has a number of incorrect assumptions , sorry to say .

My recommendation is , if you have a fat wallet , look for a reliable and honest dealer in Cali . I recommend Powell in Escondido , contact name "Oprah" , for a fair price .

Richjl19

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevy Cruze 2013 Chevy equinox
Craig told me months ago he and Koons do not sell to Cali or Mass . Maybe he has changed , I don't know .

In Cali if you buy or lease out of state , you won't be covered by Cali lemon law , (unless you are military) .

Your spreadsheet has a number of incorrect assumptions , sorry to say .

My recommendation is , if you have a fat wallet , look for a reliable and honest dealer in Cali . I recommend Powell in Escondido , contact name "Oprah" , for a fair price .

There’s a deal being worked out for 8.5% under invoice in northern Virginia

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...northern-virginia-2019-group-buy.15335/unread
Sponsored