Sponsored

The Sunrider for Hardtop for the All New Jeep® Wrangler JL is here!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

For what the top offers, I think it is worth the trade off. It's not all that much additional weight. Unless, you are already pushing the weight thing...
Yeah, 26lbs difference. I may be able to stomach that. Pounds add up, though, a little here, a little there. 26 isn't terrible, though. I wonder why it needed to weigh that much? It must have a beefy frame system.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yeah, 26lbs. I may be able to stomach that. Pounds add up, though, a little here, a little there. 26 isn't terrible, though. I wonder why it needed to weigh that much? It must have a beefy frame system.
@DanW

The frame is beefy probably... of course, the Twill offering may be a pound or two heavier then the vinyl offering.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
You should not get any leaking in any of our tops. If you do, give us a call at 1-800-845-3567 and we will troubleshoot and fix it for you.

CassieAtBestop

Are there other photos available of it closed besides the one on on the web page? A couple of other angles and maybe an interior one would be nice.
Bought the black twill version for my '15 JKU Sahara and had mixed feelings about it.

Pros:
1. Noise is not that bad or different at all compared with the Freedom Tops. There is a bit more wind noise coming from the top of the windshield, but didn't really notice it unless I meant to.
2. Flipping it back to open it up at a stop light is SUPER easy!!!! After the twill breaks in, of course.
3. Looks great compared to the black (not body color) hard top.

Cons:
1. A bit of a pain to install. The bolts to connect to the sport top rails are a bit too short. Could have been a bit longer to ease in finding the mounting holes.
2. Leaking....boy oh boy the leaking. I live in SoCal and after about 3 weeks of having it on, I went out side to run some errands and there was water coming in towards the front A Pillar area. We had a sprinkle in the morning hours and it came through under the top and above the door sill. Talked to BestTop about it and they sent out new seals, but they were from where the top mounts to their door frame mounts, not from their door frame mounts to the Jeep door sills. It leaks from under their mount above the door sill.

Since it is SoCal, I don't worry too much about rain, but I do bring towels when I wash my Jeep to keep the water off the doors.

I now am a proud owner of a 2018 Sahara, so I don't have to worry about this anymore. And I did think about getting it installed at the time of purchase, but I didn't want the hassle of water leaks again. I will wait.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
I can take some, what are you looking for exactly? I could also do a quick video. Let me know :)

CassieAtBestop

Are there other photos available of it closed besides the one on on the web page? A couple of other angles and maybe an interior one would be nice.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
It is not currently in the plans to offer in colors.

CassieAtBestop

Will this ever be available in Jeep factory colors?? I would love to replace my Freedom panels, but this would look funky since I have a matching color hardtop.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
We are finalizing the instructions now, that is why they are not available. I will post when they are.

As for the weight, keep in mind that is the shipping weight. We use heavy boxes, lots of foam and other materials to protect the top. I will see if i can get an actual product weight for you.

CassieAtBestop .

9/14/18 2:37pm EST

I just called Bestop and spoke with a rep....

No install instructions are available at this time, for the Sunrider for Hard top for JL, for offering. Rep, state that the instructions would be available when the top starts to ship.

Also, rep said the weight of the Sunrider for Hard top for JL, is " 37 lbs. plus or minus a few ounces "

Note: The actual shipping weight for the same offering but for a JK is 38# even. My guess is the JL offering will be the same. Figure the shipping box weighs a pound +-.

JL.... Freedom Panels, combined weight is approx. 11.5 lbs.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We are finalizing the instructions now, that is why they are not available. I will post when they are.

As for the weight, keep in mind that is the shipping weight. We use heavy boxes, lots of foam and other materials to protect the top. I will see if i can get an actual product weight for you.

CassieAtBestop .
Thanks, Cassie! I'm really excited about this replacing my Freedom panels! If I like it as much as I think I will, I'll have to order one for my Jk, too!

Redleg22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I like them. I want one but I won't pay that price for it. Should be available on craigslist before long.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like them. I want one but I won't pay that price for it. Should be available on craigslist before long.
LOL ... don't stop shaving daily until that Sunrider shows up on craigslist. You will end up with a beard down to your beer gut.

Sure would be nice if the Sunrider was less expensive but it is not. I can see the difference in pricing between the Quill offering and the Vinly offering though.

Accessories are expensive. You either pay or do without. I'll pay for the right accessory.

Redleg22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
LOL ... don't stop shaving daily until that Sunrider shows up on craigslist. You will end up with a beard down to your beer gut.

Sure would be nice if the Sunrider was less expensive but it is not. I can see the difference in pricing between the Quill offering and the Vinly offering though.

Accessories are expensive. You either pay or do without. I'll pay for the right accessory.[/QUOTE

Nope. I will pay for the right accessory as well. I just happen to know from experience that tops of all types can be had on craigslist with a little bit of patience. Did it with several hard and soft tops trades and a previous sun rider for hardtop.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Redleg22

Oh, I agree they will eventually surface on Craigslist and used on eBAY. It will be a while though to find one on these venues that is not beat up and in your geographical location. If you are willing to wait, so be it..

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, and there will be JLs on Craigslist, too. But you probably won't save much, same as the JL. I don't want the hassle or wait to save 50 bucks.

Redleg22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sure, and there will be JLs on Craigslist, too. But you probably won't save much, same as the JL. I don't want the hassle or wait to save 50 bucks.
I hear you, this just has not been my experience. I have got smoking deals on craigslist for Jeep tops of all types. Maybe I am just lucky.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you, this just has not been my experience. I have got smoking deals on craigslist for Jeep tops of all types. Maybe I am just lucky.
...or very skilled at finding the deals. I'm just not, except for the blind squirrel phenomenon. If this thing winds up not meeting expectations, I'll certainly put it up for sale. I'm hopefully optimistic it delivers, though.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey all,

I had our engineer put this to the test for you!

OE JL Freedom Panels are 13.85 lbs per Panel, totaling 27.70 lbs

The Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop for JL weighs in at 23.60 lbs. with the full box (shipping weight) at 32 lbs.

So essentially you will be losing weight with this replacment! Well, your Jeep will be, not you ;)

CassieAtBestop

CassieAtBestop .
IMG_0743.jpg
Sponsored