8.4" Touchscreen wear!!!! WTF?

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just ordered a screen protector tonight. I was looking at my 8.4 screen and noticed I have a perfect circle engraved over the Sirius button from touching the screen. The rest of the screen is fine, but the Sirius app button shows wear like the OP’s wear.
Sponsored

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
That's a sensor pad. I've seen these pads else where on the screen. I think it has to do with the angle of sight vs where the light is coming from

tomahawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray ordered 16 Aug delivered 11 Sep.,,2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi, Traded 2017 JKU Big Bear, 2012 Ford Focus.
I told my salesman that the deal wasn’t gonna happen unless he thru in the screen protector... for free... He eventually caved....sucker... that 2 pack cost $15 or more MSRP.. :)

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's a sensor pad. I've seen these pads else where on the screen. I think it has to do with the angle of sight vs where the light is coming from
This is a wear issue. You may be able to see in the photo where the mat finish on the screen has worn off of the lower left hand corner from my finger constantly pressing the audio button.
I just installed a screen protector, thus that should end this premature wear to the screen.

6FF28651-EBB2-4F80-B3D6-CFF06881962C.jpeg

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
I have a screen cover as well. I'm just responding to the "perfect circles" you mentioned. I seen circular and rectangular pressure pads on my screen just yesterday. Not trying to pull your chain. lol.

Sponsored

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a screen cover as well. I'm just responding to the "perfect circles" you mentioned. I seen circular and rectangular pressure pads on my screen just yesterday. Not trying to pull your chain. lol.
Lol
No problem. Just want everyone to realize this will become a problem, if they care how their screen looks. I can’t believe how easily it wears.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Huh, I guess there was a reason to buy my screen protector after all. I figured I was blowing $15.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I've got one but I never put it on I still have it maybe I should. Can you tell me if can tell if it made a difference can you tell something's on it ?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I've got one but I never put it on I still have it maybe I should. Can you tell me if can tell if it made a difference can you tell something's on it ?
@Jammer

I have had the Mopar 8.4 screen saver on since I got my JL a few months ago. I don't even realize the screen saver is on there. It's there though... and easy to clean and sure affording protection to the screen. Screen sensitivity is not affected as far as I can tell...

$ well spent in regard to the protector.

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
Wow! That really dos look like there are a lot of scratches. How dry is the skin on your fingertips?

Sponsored

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
0D9DACD4-C41C-4F4B-81A6-BBAE73EA2F6A.jpeg
You’ve just inspired today’s project! And by the way, the instructions on the back say to use alcohol to clean the screen before applying the screen protector.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
0D9DACD4-C41C-4F4B-81A6-BBAE73EA2F6A.jpeg
You’ve just inspired today’s project! And by the way, the instructions on the back say to use alcohol to clean the screen before applying the screen protector.
It comes with the alcohol wipes and takes about 3 minutes to install. My only complaint is it's not longer than the screen, if it were longer than the screen you could slide it inside of the surrounding and not notice it at all but it's basically the exact size of the screen so you need to move it a bit to make the lines less obvious.

I don't notice it at all. It hasn't made buttons more difficult to touch or anything.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine is glossy but it actually looks much better than the bare screen.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
@JeepCares

So my 3 month old JLUR touchscreen has finger wear on the actual screen. The finish is coming off where it is touched the most. My local dealer took a few pics and sent them to Jeep Canada requesting a replacement unit (I have a pretty good relationship with this dealer). Jeep Canada has denied the request, basically denying me warranty. I have not been offered a reasonable explanation to why I'm being denied outside of "user damage". As with all my screen I've only used a damp lint free lens cloth to clean it. I'm not looking for people to tell me that i should've bought a screen protector as I've owned several wranglers (and still own) over the years and have never experienced this issue. These screens should not wear like this simply from touching them. Sorry for the rant.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so what outcomes have you been offered?

Cheers :beer:

My '18 JLUR screen after 3 months!!!
20180813_195330[1].jpg
20180813_195412[1].jpg

Below is My '11 JKU after nearly 8 years of use, My '17 JKU screen still looks new.
20180813_195525[1].jpg
You didn’t add a glass screen protector from amazon for like $10 when you got it? (((Ducking)))
Sponsored