will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Hi,

Today while coming back from San Diego, my AC started acting up. I was cruising around 75mph and little by little the fan speed dropped. I had the setting at 6 and was blowing like if it was on 1 or 2. I made a stop to pump gas and when I got back on the freeway it was back to normal but it happened again after about 15 minutes.

Has this happened to anyone?

I was thinking maybe the compressor was being overworked but that has never happened to me in any vehicle during the same trip. I checked every single setting and nothing. I made another stop to see if it would happen again and it did.

The weather wasn't extremely hot either (~80f) but that shouldn't affect fan operation just coldness of ac I assume.

Coolant Engine temp was around 197-203 and other readings were normal.

Only thing I could think of is I need an oil change, current like is 17% and about 6500 miles but again, I never seen this happen before.

Edit: I did notice battery voltage was at 13.2-13.3 when usually is around 13.9 I dont know if that would affect it
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi,

Today while coming back from San Diego, my AC started acting up. I was cruising around 75mph and little by little the fan speed dropped. I had the setting at 6 and was blowing like if it was on 1 or 2. I made a stop to pump gas and when I got back on the freeway it was back to normal but it happened again after about 15 minutes.

I was thinking maybe the compressor was being overworked but that has never happened to me in any vehicle during the same trip. I checked every single setting and nothing. I made another stop to see if it would happen again and it did.

The weather wasn't extremely hot either (~80f) but that shouldn't affect fan operation just coldness of ac I assume.

Only thing I could think of is I need an oil change, current like is 17% and about 6500 miles but again, I never seen this happen before.

Edit: I did notice battery voltage was at 13.2-13.3 when usually is around 13.9 I dont know if that would affect it
I don't know Will. I do know things I'd rule out.

Are the driver's and passenger's side temperatures set to be in sync with one another or not? Let's start troubleshooting with them first being in sync.

If/when this situation repeats, what might happen if you lowered the temperature you desire the rig to be at?

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hi,

I think I have noticed mine doing that if it set to 'auto'. Not positive tho

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I have had this happen in my Challenger; if the conditions are right ice will form inside and block the air flow. You may be low on freon/refrigerant, this will also cause it.

OP
OP

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I don't know Will. I do know things I'd rule out.

Are the driver's and passenger's side temperatures set to be in sync with one another or not? Let's start troubleshooting with them first being in sync.

If/when this situation repeats, what might happen if you lowered the temperature you desire the rig to be at?
I had them synced and not synced and same happened, I tried every setting possible. Changing temp, different temps at drivers and passenger, you name it. It would still blow at a really low rate

Sponsored

OP
OP

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I think I have noticed mine doing that if it set to 'auto'. Not positive tho
In auto I would guess it might happen once its reaching the temp or has reached it, in order to maintain it. I know it starts blowing at max speed if I have it on auto but I have it on manual all the time

OP
OP

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have had this happen in my Challenger; if the conditions are right ice will form inside and block the air flow. You may be low on freon/refrigerant, this will also cause it.
That would make some sense, just like industrial air conditioning units that need a shut off period to avoid freezing the lines. In a car I find it rare to happened but it does make sense because I noticed the ac is the coldest in any vehicle I've had. I had the temp at the lowest setting when it first happened, then I had it at 68 when it happened again.

When I do my oil change I'll ask them to check the freon but wouldn't that just cause the ac to not cool properly and the fan work normal?

Thank you for the tips thou

Josh903

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
That would make some sense, just like industrial air conditioning units that need a shut off period to avoid freezing the lines. In a car I find it rare to happened but it does make sense because I noticed the ac is the coldest in any vehicle I've had. I had the temp at the lowest setting when it first happened, then I had it at 68 when it happened again.

When I do my oil change I'll ask them to check the freon but wouldn't that just cause the ac to not cool properly and the fan work normal?

Thank you for the tips thou
Hello will1111,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to know if you managed to find a cause and resolution to this issue. My JL is also having the issue and I just picked it up from its third visit to the dealer. This last time they added 10 grams of refrigerant over the "recommended" level. I will see if that fixes it.

-Josh

OP
OP

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Hello will1111,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to know if you managed to find a cause and resolution to this issue. My JL is also having the issue and I just picked it up from its third visit to the dealer. This last time they added 10 grams of refrigerant over the "recommended" level. I will see if that fixes it.

-Josh
Hey, late response but mine got fixed by itself. And hasn't happened ever since. Dealer didnt do anything since they couldnt replicate the issue.

Josh903

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, late response but mine got fixed by itself. And hasn't happened ever since. Dealer didnt do anything since they couldnt replicate the issue.
I see. Thanks for your reply. I just had my Jeep at the dealer for the 4th time for this issue and like in your case, they can't replicate the issue despite driving it for around 200 miles total. It is odd that yours just fixed itself. Hopefully mine will do the same. If not I may file a lemon law case.

If you don't mind, what mileage did yours have when the problem started and when it went away?

-Josh

Sponsored

OP
OP

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Sucks they cant see what's the problem...have u. Checked the fuse box and make sure all the fuses are seated properly?
Mine had 7-8k miles when it happened....I'm almost at 20k and it hasn't happened again

Josh903

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sucks they cant see what's the problem...have u. Checked the fuse box and make sure all the fuses are seated properly?
Mine had 7-8k miles when it happened....I'm almost at 20k and it hasn't happened again
Yea I looked over fuses and found nothing out of place. I also noticed the problem right around the 5-6k mile mark. It functions fine until I spend some time on the highway and then it might freeze up.

Dealer is replacing an expansion valve this Friday. I researched what that was and what it did and from what I read, a bad expansion valve can cause these exact symptoms so I'm crossing my fingers that this solves it.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Yea I looked over fuses and found nothing out of place. I also noticed the problem right around the 5-6k mile mark. It functions fine until I spend some time on the highway and then it might freeze up.

Dealer is replacing an expansion valve this Friday. I researched what that was and what it did and from what I read, a bad expansion valve can cause these exact symptoms so I'm crossing my fingers that this solves it.
Josh, I don't know how I ran across this thread, but let's resurface an old thread.
1. I am 20 min away from Plano.
2. I had a Cherokee with the same issue. The humidity sensor was bad. They replaced it, and all worked as it should. I traded it in for this Wrangler that has had nothing but issue after issue.

I am curious if the expansion valve corrected this on the Wrangler.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I am curious if the expansion valve corrected this on the Wrangler.
Well, you're probably not going to get an answer from Josh since he hasn't been around for almost a year.

Later,
Johnny

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Well, you're probably not going to get an answer from Josh since he hasn't been around for almost a year.

Later,
Johnny
Yeah, I looked after, and noticed this was his very last post.
He probably sold his Wrangler.
Sponsored