Sponsored

What is the height of the hardtop? Installing a hoist prior to delivery.

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I ordered a 2019 but want to install a hoist in my garage before delivery. My plan is to have a hoist on rails in which the top can be lifted and then moved on the rails to a loft in my garage where it can be set down and stored.

Does anyone know (or can they measure) the height of the hardtop? My loft has limited vertical space so this measurement is key if I will be able to store the top there. If not, have to move to plan B.
Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks to be about 27" but not sure how much bow in the top mine is hanging right now can't get to see to get tape high enough or not.

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks, thecritter. I have 39" to play with so should have no problem storing the top on the loft. I will have additional inches taken up by the lift and cables, but should be able to make it work.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, thecritter. I have 39" to play with so should have no problem storing the top on the loft. I will have additional inches taken up by the lift and cables, but should be able to make it work.
Mine has 39" to top with freedom panels in bag setting on top

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I ordered a 2019 but want to install a hoist in my garage before delivery. My plan is to have a hoist on rails in which the top can be lifted and then moved on the rails to a loft in my garage where it can be set down and stored.

Does anyone know (or can they measure) the height of the hardtop? My loft has limited vertical space so this measurement is key if I will be able to store the top there. If not, have to move to plan B.

@swimman : I point this out not to act or accuse you of stupidity, but rather with the best of intentions. Although its obvious when you think about it that tire size upgrades--which may or may not ever be in your event horizon--will raise vehicle height, sometimes in the heat of all else their is to consider when buying a JL, we forget that.

Please account for any plans you may have to change the tire size and how that might affect height. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@swimman : I point this out not to act or accuse you of stupidity, but rather with the best of intentions. Although its obvious when you think about it that tire size upgrades--which may or may not ever be in your event horizon--will raise vehicle height, sometimes in the heat of all else their is to consider when buying a JL, we forget that.

Please account for any plans you may have to change the tire size and how that might affect height. :)
RussJeep1 - thanks for the info. The vehicle height will not affect what I am trying to do (other than if I go too high, being able to get the Jeep in the garage!). The height I was concerned with was the hard top height only (not the height the top is off the ground when on the Jeep). I plan to store the hard top in a loft area in the garage. I have 39" from the floor of the loft to the ceiling of the garage. As the hard top is about 27" I have room to slide the hardtop from where it's lifted off the Jeep, into the loft area and then set it down for warm weather storage.

I'm currently piecing together the rails and rollers needed for the sliding part and then need to determine if I go with the Racor lift or fabricate something from most likely 2x4s. Not shortage of projects here!

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
RussJeep1 - thanks for the info. The vehicle height will not affect what I am trying to do (other than if I go too high, being able to get the Jeep in the garage!). The height I was concerned with was the hard top height only (not the height the top is off the ground when on the Jeep). I plan to store the hard top in a loft area in the garage. I have 39" from the floor of the loft to the ceiling of the garage. As the hard top is about 27" I have room to slide the hardtop from where it's lifted off the Jeep, into the loft area and then set it down for warm weather storage.
I'm currently piecing together the rails and rollers needed for the sliding part and then need to determine if I go with the Racor lift or fabricate something from most likely 2x4s. Not shortage of projects here!
Can you post some pictures & dimensions of your set up? I’ve watched numerous YouTube videos & have come to the conclusion that electric hoist to a loft is the best method (no load on rubber weather stripping & no hooks damaging paint & best overall safety). I’m most interested in your hoist set up on the rails/rollers, the position of your hoist controller, height of garage, etc. Thanks! I’m waiting for delivery of my ‘19 JLUR & even though I’m in ND & won’t be topless for 5-6 months, I need something to do to take my mind off of the brutal wait!

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'll probably get to the hoist install over winter. Hoping to have the Jeep delivered some time in November but will post pics once completed .

Eljamdapal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Rubicon
“I have room to slide the hardtop from where it's lifted off the Jeep, into the loft area and then set it down”

This sounds very similar to what I am currently building. Been thinking about it for a few years with our JK but got the dual top with the JL so let’s just say I’m more motives this time.

I’ve got 40 inches from top of loft to ceiling and for what I’m trying to build I thought it was gonna be close so I ended up installing rail in the attic. Hopefully I can install the electric hoist this weekend and then work out the hard top frame next week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
“I have room to slide the hardtop from where it's lifted off the Jeep, into the loft area and then set it down”

This sounds very similar to what I am currently building. Been thinking about it for a few years with our JK but got the dual top with the JL so let’s just say I’m more motives this time.

I’ve got 40 inches from top of loft to ceiling and for what I’m trying to build I thought it was gonna be close so I ended up installing rail in the attic. Hopefully I can install the electric hoist this weekend and then work out the hard top frame next week.
Post some pics when you are done. I have a couple designs in mind but want to get the Jeep first as the top will not be coming off until next April or so.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Post some pics when you are done. I have a couple designs in mind but want to get the Jeep first as the top will not be coming off until next April or so.
I’m in same boat. I did make the loft platform & buy an electric hoist from Menards ($115 after rebate).Need the Jeep to determine placements of loft & hoist. For what it’s worth, an 8’x4’ platform made of 2x4’s w/ thin flooring on top weighs approx 44lbs. That combined with weight of the hardtop will come nowhere close to the 440/880 hoist capacity. A million videos on YouTube showing a million different methods.....my main concern on the hardtop measurement is length of back glass window when it’s open/ fully extended. Anyone have this dimension? I have a suspended heater that will likely need to be relocated.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in same boat. I did make the loft platform & buy an electric hoist from Menards ($115 after rebate).Need the Jeep to determine placements of loft & hoist. For what it’s worth, an 8’x4’ platform made of 2x4’s w/ thin flooring on top weighs approx 44lbs. That combined with weight of the hardtop will come nowhere close to the 440/880 hoist capacity. A million videos on YouTube showing a million different methods.....my main concern on the hardtop measurement is length of back glass window when it’s open/ fully extended. Anyone have this dimension? I have a suspended heater that will likely need to be relocated.
8’ wide because hardtop base is 60”. This gives 1 1/2 feet on each side of loft / chains for clearance. I don’t want painted hard top to hit the chains supporting the loft. I also put rubber cushioned matting down on the flooring sheet.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
RADICON- what kind of rubber flooring did you put down? I like that idea.
I think it was for exercising on or kids play area maybe? It fits together like puzzle pieces, I will take some pics later. All put together the pieces form a perfect 8’x4’ area so it was destiny.
Sponsored