Sponsored

The Sunrider for Hardtop for the All New Jeep® Wrangler JL is here!

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Hmmmmm, wonder how fast I can drive with it folded back?

Lotsa questions here from the gang.
Sponsored

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Bought the black twill version for my '15 JKU Sahara and had mixed feelings about it.

Pros:
1. Noise is not that bad or different at all compared with the Freedom Tops. There is a bit more wind noise coming from the top of the windshield, but didn't really notice it unless I meant to.
2. Flipping it back to open it up at a stop light is SUPER easy!!!! After the twill breaks in, of course.
3. Looks great compared to the black (not body color) hard top.

Cons:
1. A bit of a pain to install. The bolts to connect to the sport top rails are a bit too short. Could have been a bit longer to ease in finding the mounting holes.
2. Leaking....boy oh boy the leaking. I live in SoCal and after about 3 weeks of having it on, I went out side to run some errands and there was water coming in towards the front A Pillar area. We had a sprinkle in the morning hours and it came through under the top and above the door sill. Talked to BestTop about it and they sent out new seals, but they were from where the top mounts to their door frame mounts, not from their door frame mounts to the Jeep door sills. It leaks from under their mount above the door sill.

Since it is SoCal, I don't worry too much about rain, but I do bring towels when I wash my Jeep to keep the water off the doors.

I now am a proud owner of a 2018 Sahara, so I don't have to worry about this anymore. And I did think about getting it installed at the time of purchase, but I didn't want the hassle of water leaks again. I will wait.

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Are there other photos available of it closed besides the one on on the web page? A couple of other angles and maybe an interior one would be nice.

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hmmmmm, wonder how fast I can drive with it folded back?

Lotsa questions here from the gang.
When I had mine, I had no issues driving freeway speeds with it. VERY windy, but nothing else to worry about.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just took the plunge and pre-ordered the twill version today. If it ships before I go to Moab, I'll be thrilled. If not, I might cancel. They told me it would ship most likely the first week of October. That's cutting it close. I hope they are underpromising and will over deliver.

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Will this ever be available in Jeep factory colors?? I would love to replace my Freedom panels, but this would look funky since I have a matching color hardtop.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Will this ever be available in Jeep factory colors?? I would love to replace my Freedom panels, but this would look funky since I have a matching color hardtop.
@themattparty

Highly unlikely, I'd say.

Agreed... it would look like chitt..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just took the plunge and pre-ordered the twill version today. If it ships before I go to Moab, I'll be thrilled. If not, I might cancel. They told me it would ship most likely the first week of October. That's cutting it close. I hope they are underpromising and will over deliver.
Wouldn't it be great if Bestop has come up with something in regard to the gutters... so they don't drain like the Freedom Panel gutters do. My guess is the gutters are similar to the Freedom Panel gutters.

Looking forward to getting my Bestop. As I mentioned in an earlier post I will be using it along with the Alien front sunshade for the 2 dr.
Only limitation of doing so I can see is that after I unlatch the Bestop, I cannot reach straight up and flip it open. I will have to get out or reach out and flip it open from outside. No big deal...

I'm curious what the weight of this Bestop offering is... heavier or lighter then the 2 Freedom panels......................

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Only limitation of doing so I can see is that after I unlatch the Bestop, I cannot reach straight up and flip it open. I will have to get out or reach out and flip it open from outside. No big deal...

I'm curious what the weight of this Bestop offering is... heavier or lighter then the 2 Freedom panels......................

You don't have to get out of the Jeep to open it. When I had mine, I would pop it open, and then there is a cross bar that you can use to flip it back. I doesn't "slam" down at all. SUPER simple.

Yes, it is MUCH heavier than the freedom tops. It isn't something that you will be regularly taking on and off.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't have to get out of the Jeep to open it. When I had mine, I would pop it open, and then there is a cross bar that you can use to flip it back. I doesn't "slam" down at all. SUPER simple.

Yes, it is MUCH heavier than the freedom tops. It isn't something that you will be regularly taking on and off.
@Seanmh72

Yes, I will have to get out to open it. I won't be able to reach up and flip it over as I said, because my Alien Sunshade will be in the way..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9+/14/18 2:37pm EST

I just called Bestop and spoke with a rep....

No install instructions are available at this time, for the Sunrider for Hard top for JL, for offering. Rep, state that the instructions would be available when the top starts to ship.

Also, rep said the weight of the Sunrider for Hard top for JL, is " 37 lbs. plus or minus a few ounces "

Note: The actual shipping weight for the same offering but for a JK is 38# even. My guess is the JL offering will be the same. Figure the shipping box weighs a pound +-.
---------
JL, Freedom Panels, combined weight is approx. 11.5 lbs.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9/14/18 2:37pm EST

No install instructions are available at this time, for the Sunrider for Hard top for JL, for offering. Rep, state that the instructions would be available when the top starts to ship.

Also, rep said the weight of the Sunrider for Hard top for JL, is " 37 lbs. plus or minus a few ounces "

Note: The actual shipping weight for the same offering but for a JK is 38# even. My guess is the JL offering will be the same. Figure the shipping box weighs a pound +-.

JL.... Freedom Panels, combined weight is approx. 11.5 lbs.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
9+/14/18 2:37pm EST

---------
JL, Freedom Panels, combined weight is approx. 11.5 lbs.
I'm not loving the weight. I'm going to think about that. It might be a deal breaker. I love the convenience and what it does, but I'm doing everything possible to keep weight off this Jeep. Thanks for the info.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DanW

For what the top offers, I think it is worth the trade off. It's not all that much additional weight. Unless, you are already pushing the weight thing...
Sponsored