• Total voters

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I have seen many aftermarket bumpers start to rust over time. Aftermarket bumpers can get expensive; I don’t want to deal with an expensive bumper when it starts to rust.

I’m not sure if OEM is warranted against rust. I’ve personally seen Recon bumpers; their finish looks a lot more resistant to our calcium chloride that gets dumped on my daily winter travels.

Because the Recon is relatively new; the bumpers haven’t had enough time to prove themselves rust resistant. Maybe somebody out there could chime in with any thoughts or personal info on this topic.
Does anybody know of an aftermarket steel bumper manufacturer that warranties their bumpers against any rust?
Sponsored

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Does anyone know where a pic of the oem steel rear bumper is?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Steel, they are stronger, can mount a winch, the end caps can be removed, 3 year warranty, and come with a steel front skid plate instead of plastic. If you become bored with them you can always recoup the cost and easily sell them for the price they cost as an option.
IMO the only aftermarket bumper that look good and actually follow the body lines of the JK and hopefully the JL are the AEV bumpers, problem is they cost $3000, all the rest are made from cheap plate steel that isn't formed to the body and what they often call powder coating is nothing but a cheap sprayed on finish that will start to rust the first month of ownership.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I'm buying my Rubi with plastic ones and going with steel aftermarket. Steel Bumper group is $1300. Add the MOPAR oversize tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement and that's another 900. $2300 is a good bucket of change to put towards personalized aftermarket ones.

Pete

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Steel, they are stronger, can mount a winch, the end caps can be removed, 3 year warranty, and come with a steel front skid plate instead of plastic. If you become bored with them you can always recoup the cost and easily sell them for the price they cost as an option.
IMO the only aftermarket bumper that look good and actually follow the body lines of the JK and hopefully the JL are the AEV bumpers, problem is they cost $3000, all the rest are made from cheap plate steel that isn't formed to the body and what they often call powder coating is nothing but a cheap sprayed on finish that will start to rust the first month of ownership.
Disagree - I have DV8 bumpers front and rear, they are super though, haven't chipped and have zero rust. Coating is textured black. Paid 1350 for both bumper and tire carrier

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
How do they follow the body? especially the rear? They seems like a decent brand with the exception of having their logo cut into many of the bumpers they sell.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Steel - stronger, better look (opinion of course), winch ready, factory warranty (vs aftermarket), allows for factory tow package to be left intact and not removed for aftermarket bumper (rear of course), removable end caps for formal, or business casual.
Plastic - weak, cheap looking (opinion of course), lighter

Aftermarket - stronger than stock steel typically, winch ready in majority of cases, no factory warranty, do not always allow for tow package to be left intact....cheaper is yet to be seen. $1200 for a front and rear steel bumper is not all that bad especially if you factor in you get full warranty support, and Jeep cannot hassle you over anything....oh you hit your steering box? "well that new bumper voided your steering warranty" (not that it would happen, but dont put it past a dealership to blame anything, on anything, regardless of how much sense it does or does not make).

JLs are the new kid on the block when bumpers start showing up in the aftermarket world....you will be lucky to stay under $800-$900 for a front and rear set. $400-$500 is worth it to me for a no hassle warranty to remain in tact...and I get steel bumpers right from the get go.

Once my warranty expires I will throw aftermarket on her, but not until then, personal preference, not all will agree...but thats my .02 of an answer to your question.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Another thing to consider; buying OEM steel bumpers the suspension will be setup at the factory without any front or rear sag. The JK had different factory spring configurations, for example with a tow option you received stiffer rear springs. What could happen when you order the plastic bumpers and change to heavy aftermarket; your suspension height could be affected.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Aftermarket with a swing away tire carrier. I like the OEM steel front bumper, but I bet those will hit the market soon as take-offs too!

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Aftermarket with a swing away tire carrier. I like the OEM steel front bumper, but I bet those will hit the market soon as take-offs too!
I wonder how the aftermarket will handle the backup camera with swing away carriers.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I had an AEV bumper that got rust and an after market bumper on my TJ that also had rust problems....No issues with hard rock OEM bumpers. Now AEV did send out a rust repair kit and probably fixed the issue for future bumpers but I would bet factory bumpers have many more hours of testing than is possible for most after market outfits. I am not saying don't buy after market but just a consideration.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the same thing but the Steel front bumpers from the JK (25th ann, Recon, etc) are still selling for around $1k used. If you try and buy that bumper from Jeep it sells for around $1,200 so $1,200 for both is a pretty good deal on the JL.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the same thing but the Steel front bumpers from the JK (25th ann, Recon, etc) are still selling for around $1k used. If you try and buy that bumper from Jeep it sells for around $1,200 so $1,200 for both is a pretty good deal on the JL.
A co-worker just bought one for around $300.
Sponsored