Sponsored

Has anyone else noticed what looks like 1000's of tiny bubbles or specks in their wndshield?!?

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I scrolled through 3 pages and not a single picture. :angry:
Hahaha! They are super tiny and might be difficult to capture on camera. I'll see if I can capture them later today. Sorry if your scroll finger has been injured in the long four page journey you embarked on... :giggle:

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have a sport and no upgraded sound system so I wouldn't have the special windshield?
Had the same problem on a new 2005 Honda S2000. When windshield was
replaced after rock encounter, problem disappeared. Generally this problem appears on Japanese cars.

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
057BF626-252C-406F-B1F6-69D41D02B7B6.jpeg
These bubbles or whatever are sooooo tiny it is near impossible to capture them with my iPhone 6s. You have to see them in real life with the sun shining directly through the windshield. In all other conditions it is almost unnoticeable, but when the sun is setting and shinning through it is very apparent and my OCD enters critical meltdown. :computerrage: I mean, come on, this is a brand new $60,000 vehicle, I shouldn't have to just "deal" with this major annoyance. :facepalm:

*I shined a flashlight through the windshield to try to illuminate the specks. The photo obviously isn't great, but if you look closely you can see all the tiny specks in the glass. Again, I've cleaned the glass with steel wool and it isn't on the surface, it is IN the glass.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think what you guys are referring to as "bubbles" are actually micro-gouges in the glass from hitting contaminated air and road debris and possible atmospheric fall-out. Every single vehicle I've ever owned has that issue. The only way to prevent it is to cover your windshield with laminate, similar to what NASCAR teams use during races, or to leave the vehicle in the garage.

In no way is this a defect or issue to be concerned about. The windshield is doing its job...keeping that same stuff from sandblasting your face. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think what you guys are referring to as "bubbles" are actually micro-gouges in the glass from hitting contaminated air and road debris and possible atmospheric fall-out. Every single vehicle I've ever owned has that issue. The only way to prevent it is to cover your windshield with laminate, similar to what NASCAR teams use during races, or to leave the vehicle in the garage.

In no way is this a defect or issue to be concerned about. The windshield is doing its job...keeping that same stuff from sandblasting your face. :)

These defects have been in the windshield since the first day I picked it up fresh off the train. I've been in the auto body profession for almost 30 years, I've been a journeyman painter for 18 years. This is not on the face of the windshield, it is in the glass. I have a very keen eye for looking INTO paint so as to differentiate between different pearls and metallics giving me the ability to precisely adjust or tint a color to match exactly to the OEM finish on a vehicle. This is pertinent information, it shows that I can look INTO a surface and differentiate between "on" a surface and "in" a surface. It IS a defect. But thank you for instructing me that, "this isn't an issue I need to be concerned with." I feel so much better now... :computerrage: *I don't typically reply to your kind of ignorance, but I'm feeling a bit frisky this morning. Hahaha! :cwl:

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

And if your hypothesis is correct, this means at this rate within a year my windshield would be so "micro-gouged" that I would no longer have to ability to safely navigate my Jeep down the road ...

Tommy T

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Hemi Cuda Covertible
Occupation
Engineering/Construction
After a few cold beers, the problem should go away and you will not notice it as bad.

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
These defects have been in the windshield since the first day I picked it up fresh off the train. I've been in the auto body profession for almost 30 years, I've been a journeyman painter for 18 years. This is not on the face of the windshield, it is in the glass. I have a very keen eye for looking INTO paint so as to differentiate between different pearls and metallics giving me the ability to precisely adjust or tint a color to match exactly to the OEM finish on a vehicle. This is pertinent information, it shows that I can look INTO a surface and differentiate between "on" a surface and "in" a surface. It IS a defect. But thank you for instructing me that, "this isn't an issue I need to be concerned with." I feel so much better now... :computerrage: *I don't typically reply to your kind of ignorance, but I'm feeling a bit frisky this morning. Hahaha! :cwl:
If you think that a phenomenon that is present on almost every windshield in America is a flaw, then you're looking at the "ignorance" right there. :giggle:

Thankfully, you've never worked on one of my vehicles.

BTW, your Jeep wasn't built at the dealership. It traveled to get to it's destination before you ever laid eyes on it.

https://www.taylorautoglass.com/windshield-pitting/

Have a good time going through windshields..:jk:

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
And if your hypothesis is correct, this means at this rate within a year my windshield would be so "micro-gouged" that I would no longer have to ability to safely navigate my Jeep down the road ...
If you were able to drive it long enough, it would eventually get to that point.

I suppose I see how this thread is going, and I need to go out to the parking garage at work and start taking pictures of all the windshields on all the vehicles out there. Some people just don't get it unless you show them proof. :facepalm:

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
Yes, this. I noticed this awhile back and thought for a moment that I was sitting in one of my cars that we've had for 10 years. Almost looks like a windshield on a car that has seen 7-10 years of road sand. I even used a clay bar and it's still there. WTH FCA. This should be a good one to convince the service manager is an issue.

stkaar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I thought the specks might be some kind of overspray or contaminate on the surface, but after thoroughly cleaning the windshield and trying to remove contaminates via steel wool they are still there... :swear: Maybe I got a defective windshield or it's possibly is a biproduct of the acoustic laminated windshield? Either way, it bugs the crap outta me! :headbang:

stkaar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Yes, this. I noticed this awhile back and thought for a moment that I was sitting in one of my cars that we've had for 10 years. Almost looks like a windshield on a car that has seen 7-10 years of road sand. I even used a clay bar and it's still there. WTH FCA. This should be a good one to convince the service manager is an issue.

stkaar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Yep my Front and Pass. side Door Window have these Very Small Bubbles or Specs. I Have not looked close at the Door Windows yet but noticed near the Top as the Sun was getting lower. The Front Windshield is real bad when the Sun is getting low and coming thru. I've Cleaned the Windshield over an over, Still there. I thought it was Tree Sap! Like way to much to believe. Yeah I will bring this to the Dealers attention. I'm sure I'll have to prove it. Good Luck
Sponsored