Vehicle Showcase

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Nah it was some generic LED bulbs. I'm sending them back ($12 only) but got some new halogens instead which are just as bright as the LEDs, so I'm happy.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
FWIW, I tried LEDs in the OEM rear harness, and they don't work (at all). Getting my $$$ back. I'm going to just run Sylvania Ultra whites instead. Never heard of the LEDs not working in the rear back-up lights, but they don't. Maybe with the Tazer JL they would...
Nah it was some generic LED bulbs. I'm sending them back ($12 only) but got some new halogens instead which are just as bright as the LEDs, so I'm happy.
What I'm seeing with newer vehicles is their CanBus systems are getting more and more sensitive to electrical abnormalities. If it senses a load more or less than what the computer is programmed for it will either kick up an error or not work at all (a big reason to not hack up the factory harness). I've been noticing this a lot on my wife's 2014 Ram 2500 CC. Initially I kinda cheaped out upgading many of the bulbs with Diode Dynamics bulbs which do not play nice with CanBus systems. Depending on location, some worked fine for a while (interior), while others wouldn't work at all or would kick up errors (exterior). I eventually replaced the DD bulbs with CanBus bulbs from GTR lighting and so far have been mostly happy.

Most recently on my wife's Ram I decided to swap out the back up bulbs in her factory LED tail lights with a 7440/7443 LED bulb from GTR lighting. I rolled the dice and did not order the CanBus bulbs in the hopes that because it's not something that is lit for extended periods of time the computer should hopefully not have an issue with it. Wrong! I had no sooner buttoned everything up and started the truck up with the EVIC kicked up a message that the back up lights were out so I've got a set of CanBus 7440/7443 bulbs on the way now.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
FWIW, I tried LEDs in the OEM rear harness, and they don't work (at all). Getting my $$$ back. I'm going to just run Sylvania Ultra whites instead. Never heard of the LEDs not working in the rear back-up lights, but they don't. Maybe with the Tazer JL they would...
Sounds like you got bad lights. I installed the diode dynamics XP80 reverse light replacement bulbs and they work great. Although, I also installed XP80 tail lights so the red is very bright. I'm happy with them and they worked great even before I used the Tazer to set the rear lights to LED. The only issue was with the tails themselves causing bulb out warnings until flashed.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Sounds like you got bad lights. I installed the diode dynamics XP80 reverse light replacement bulbs and they work great. Although, I also installed XP80 tail lights so the red is very bright. I'm happy with them and they worked great even before I used the Tazer to set the rear lights to LED. The only issue was with the tails themselves causing bulb out warnings until flashed.
Hmm ok, well no worries, I am happy, anyways my Tazer JL is the Lite model.

Sponsored

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Just added on Rigid Diffused Spot midnight cubes on the bottom of the bumper as a reverse light, I don't tow much so not worried about blocking the connectors. Wired them straight into the tow hitch wiring tucked up in the bumper (orange/white and black wires), works perfectly when shifting into reverse they come on.

Didn't want to modify the bumper at all for now. There seem to be some other mounting points under the bumper that might move them outward which would also free up the tow connectors. For now, pretty happy with how these turned out.

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@paulr

Not liking the way you put that LED in front of the 4/7 pin connector box.... Lights look decent but no way would I have mounted like you did. Paint that shiney can hanging down in the back... 8-)

You could have gone with the Rigid b/u light kit, as I did and not had that issue. I did no drilling. I used two existing fasteners under the bumper. I wired mine in like you did but also have wired to Aux 3 so I can turn on anytime also.
The Rigids I have put out more light then I know what to so with.. 8-)

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Backup Lights? rigid-lites

Last edited:

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
@paulr

Not liking the way you put that LED in front of the 4/7 pin connector box.... Lights look decent but no way would I have mounted like you did. Paint that shiney can hanging down in the back... 8-)

You could have gone with the Rigid b/u light kit, as I did and not had that issue. I did not drilling. I used two existing fasteners under the bumper. I wired mine in like you did but also have wired to Aux 3 so I can turn on anytime also.

rigid-lites.jpg
Yeah like I had mentioned I have no use for the connector. I don’t tow. If I use the hitch it’s more for a bike rack etc. I saw your mounting points they just sit a bit lower and i wanted these tucked up as high as possible. There’s a couple more bolts further back in that might work I might give them a shot.

Went with the duallys over the reverse kit because I want the midnight blacked out lights because I like the look and i want them to match the rest of my lights on the JL which are all midnight edition. I think they’re pretty similar on output the duallys are just a bit more but both are obviously more than enough for reverse lights as you said.

Sponsored

jfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Living the dream
@paulr

You could have gone with the Rigid b/u light kit, as I did and not had that issue. I did not drilling. I used two existing fasteners under the bumper. I wired mine in like you did but also have wired to Aux 3 so I can turn on anytime also.

rigid-lites.jpg
Like those small lights... I just need to find a good place to mount them, hate having anything under the rear bumper as it's likely to get torn off.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Like those small lights... I just need to find a good place to mount them, hate having anything under the rear bumper as it's likely to get torn off.
I hear ya... I'm doing no boulder climbing / crashing so I have no such worries. As for my day to day driving, there are far more things lower then those lights that will get ripped off before they will .. 8-)

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I was just going to do back ups from DD, no errors from them?