Status
Not open for further replies.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The JLs keep multiplying!
JL LINE UP-7.jpg
What color is the one on the far right? That can't be Sting Gray? The other two Sting Gray already look a bit different, but this looks like a completely different color that I don't recall for 2018 JL.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
22551 Shannon Circle, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU / Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Occupation
Jeep Builder
What color is the one on the far right? That can't be Sting Gray? The other two Sting Gray already look a bit different, but this looks like a completely different color that I don't recall for 2018 JL.
That's our JL. With some photoshop magic.

htsai14752

First Name
HTSAI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How much is this setup running? What size tires is the owner running on this setup?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Very awesome but makes me wonder...why buy a Rubicon? Buying a Sport+, this coil over setup with some stout front and rear locking Dana axles would basically cost the same as doing the coil overs on a Rubi. Hmmmm....

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Very awesome but makes me wonder...why buy a Rubicon? Buying a Sport+, this coil over setup with some stout front and rear locking Dana axles would basically cost the same as doing the coil overs on a Rubi. Hmmmm....
You also get the 4:1 xfer case, electric sway bar disconnect, better tires/wheels, rock sliders, and all the other small Rubicon upgrades.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The cost of installation on a rubicon would be the same as a sport, not sure how that can even be compared. Also the rubicon take off suspension components are fairly easy to sell. With a sport and this system, obviously you are going to be installing much larger than stock tires and the gears on a sport won't handle that weight well.

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
How much is this setup running? What size tires is the owner running on this setup?
The owner put about $16.5k into it with us. He's running 37's.

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
BUILD SPECS:

ROCK KRAWLER SUSPSENSION CONTROL ARMS
TERAFLEX SWAR BAR LINKS
METHOD RACE WHEELS 105 BEADLOCKS (17")
NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER TIRES (37X12.5X17)
ROCKSLIDE ENGINEERING JLU STEP SLIDERS
WARN ELITE D-RINGS
TERAFLEX FALCON NEXUS JL STEERING STABILIZER

AND OF COURSE...

OUR RECON COILOVER KIT FOR THE JLU -- 2.5X12 COILOVERS W/ BYPASS ON ALL 4 CORNERS

MINI.jpg

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
RebelOffRoad-2.jpg
RebelOffRoad-4.jpg
RebelOffRoad-11.jpg
RebelOffRoad-12.jpg
RebelOffRoad-13.jpg
RebelOffRoad-16.jpg
RebelOffRoad-17.jpg
RebelOffRoad-25.jpg
RebelOffRoad-28.jpg
RebelOffRoad-31.jpg
RebelOffRoad-32.jpg
RebelOffRoad-38.jpg
RebelOffRoad-41.jpg
RebelOffRoad-44.jpg
RebelOffRoad-45.jpg
RebelOffRoad-50.jpg
RebelOffRoad-52.jpg
RebelOffRoad-54.jpg
RebelOffRoad-58.jpg

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So can you compare your coiler over with a standard lift for us newbie's. Obviously you sell those as well however the top tier coiler vs top tier standard lift is quite a bit more in cost. Not really talking about quality as I would assume quality coiler vs quality normal lift. I am talking move about rig behavior, capability, ride quality, etc etc. Thanks. Just would like to get educated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
So can you compare your coiler over with a standard lift for us newbie's. Obviously you sell those as well however the top tier coiler vs top tier standard lift is quite a bit more in cost. Not really talking about quality as I would assume quality coiler vs quality normal lift. I am talking move about rig behavior, capability, ride quality, etc etc. Thanks. Just would like to get educated.
Coilovers have a few big benefits.

They are a larger 2.5” body shock, vs most 2.0 body shocks. Allowing for a smoother ride.

They allow for much more down travel than a standard shock/spring set-up. When referring to “downtravel, droop, or flex," the shock controls the amount of movement. On a conventional spring and shock combo, the shock can only go so far before the spring falls out, this being the limiting factor. With a coilover, you have a much longer shock and the springs are contained on the shock so they cannot fall out.

Additionally, coilovers are truly "dual rate". When people refer to "dual rate" springs, it is still a single coil that is more tightly wound on one side. With a coilover, you are running two completely separate springs, each with its own spring rate: softer top spring for on road comfort and "sharp" little bumps, whereas the bottom spring handles the weight of the vehicle, and larger "sweeping" bumps.

If you are running a heavy overland build, where the back of the vehicle is much heavier, you can swap a top or bottom spring or both to accommodate the different weight.

You can also adjust the secondaries on the shock, which tell the shock when to engage the bottom spring, see attached photo.
Breaking-Down-A-King-Coilover.png

OP
OP
RebelOffRoad

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder

Also, I see that you're in Orange County! We're in Laguna Hills, why don't you stop on in! We can give you a ride on both set-ups and let you feel for yourself. We can also give you a more in-depth explanation/demonstration of coilovers.

-Kyle @RebelOffRoad

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
That is awesome. Thanks for the education. As a general rule, I know there are many options (control arms etc) if you did top standard spring/shock set vs a top coil over set up. Like what is the “upgrade” difference to go from one to the other. Double the price?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is awesome. Thanks for the education. As a general rule, I know there are many options (control arms etc) if you did top standard spring/shock set vs a top coil over set up. Like what is the “upgrade” difference to go from one to the other. Double the price?
At a minimum, you would be out the money for the standard coils and shocks. That could be a lot of money if you are talking equivalent King remote reservoir shocks. Better to just go coil over from the start if you think you will end up there.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This might be a dumb question, but seeing as how the amount of lift is somewhat variable, what’s the least amount of lift one can run with a Recon kit?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.