JL Soft Top/Hard Top question

S ARE T

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler Sahara
I am considering ordering a 2-Door Rubicon JL. I currently have a 2013 2-Door Sahara with both a factory hard top and soft top. In the winter, the soft top is folded to the back and the hard top installed. I understand you cannot order both on the new JL. Will the soft top not fold back far enough? Is there any reason both tops cannot be on the Jeep at the same time?
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I am considering ordering a 2-Door Rubicon JL. I currently have a 2013 2-Door Sahara with both a factory hard top and soft top. In the winter, the soft top is folded to the back and the hard top installed. I understand you cannot order both on the new JL. Will the soft top not fold back far enough? Is there any reason both tops cannot be on the Jeep at the same time?
Why not order the hard top with the Jeep , and then order the soft top later , from either mopar or bestop ? Winter is on it's way now .

Meatwad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
i learned the hard way, At least see if they will run the wiring and water line for the hardtop at the factory. I got the softtop first, and was going to wait for the aftermarket to come our with more compelling hardtops, but now it looks like I will need to run all that stuff myself once I do get a hardtop. live and learn...

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
Can you not get dual top group on a 2dr? I'm also under the assumption you can't have both installed at the same time. Considering if you order dual top group they give you the soft top in a box. So that's my assumption only though

We ordered a soft top but we live in CA and the coldest weather we see is probably 40-50.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
i learned the hard way, At least see if they will run the wiring and water line for the hardtop at the factory. I got the softtop first, and was going to wait for the aftermarket to come our with more compelling hardtops, but now it looks like I will need to run all that stuff myself once I do get a hardtop. live and learn...
I never need to use the rear wiper , so why install it ?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
You’re such a hardass true jeeper, I’m surprised you even have a top. You must be getting soft in your old age
Thanks . Actually , I am one of the few at the beach who do have a top . Also , I prefer the girls to not have a top when riding passenger .

With my 2-door , I never back up . So , if it is raining , why use the rear wiper ?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Not enough room .
I hear this and will not have both soft and hard tops on concurrently.

What I find curious though is--for those Dual Top owners who own[ed] both JKs and JLs, what's changed on the JL that makes storing both tops on the rig ill advised?

I seem to recall that Dual Top purchase on the JK came with the soft top installed below the hard top.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I seem to recall that Dual Top purchase on the JK came with the soft top installed below the hard top.
That was because the hard top might leak , and you'll want a soft top underneath to catch the leaks .

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I hear this and will not have both soft and hard tops on concurrently.

What I find curious though is--for those Dual Top owners who own[ed] both JKs and JLs, what's changed on the JL that makes storing both tops on the rig ill advised?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you ever find an answer to this? I’ve watched installation videos and searched, but can’t find a solid answer.

I’ve read that a lot of people complained about the way the JK’s were shipped, and I’m hoping Jeep decided to ship it separately for that reason alone. They didn’t like having to uninstall the hardtop and soft top, then reinstall the hard top. (Running them simultaneously long-term is inconvenient and a waste of space.)

I’m trying to figure out what to do with the massive soft top box in the back. It’s a long drive home from the dealer, and we intend to stop at a nearby crag for rock climbing and camping on the way back. I don’t think we’ll have space for climbing gear with that box, so I’m hoping I can install it under the hardtop before leaving the dealership.

Even if it’s not possible, I’m hoping some of the bulkier components can still be installed. If not, I may have to break the box down and throw out those large spacers/empty boxes.

Any ideas?

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
There are really only two brackets you can install, and they will require the removal of trim pieces on the roll bar so you don't really even save space. The rest of the brackets would interfere with the fit of the hard top. That said, the box in the back is mostly air. If you don't need the rear seats, fold them down and just take everything out of the big box and put all your camping stuff around the brackets. Leave the window panels in the box they came in though so they can be stacked without damaging them. I'm assuming you are talking about the JLU. I don't know about the JL.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you ever find an answer to this? I’ve watched installation videos and searched, but can’t find a solid answer.
I cannot @furrandchalk . More to point, having put the soft top in the garage in storage for the winter, I can find no reason why, for argument sake is couldn't be kept inside a 4 door rig, at least disassembled from the sports bar, and sideways, with the 2/3 backseat, if not both back seats down, including windows.

I’ve read that a lot of people complained about the way the JK’s were shipped, and I’m hoping Jeep decided to ship it separately for that reason alone.
They didn’t like having to uninstall the hardtop and soft top, then reinstall the hard top. (Running them simultaneously long-term is inconvenient and a waste of space.)

I’m trying to figure out what to do with the massive soft top box in the back. It’s a long drive home from the dealer, and we intend to stop at a nearby crag for rock climbing and camping on the way back. I don’t think we’ll have space for climbing gear with that box, so I’m hoping I can install it under the hardtop before leaving the dealership.
Logistically speaking, your desire to install the soft top under the hard top, like you or I might put on another layer of clothing when camping temperatures turn cold is simply logistically impossible. Now if you mean to put the top on, but in the all the way down position and not install the door surround hardware (which will not fit with the hard top on) MAYBE (I just don't know) that might work. I would not be a bit surprised if others more in the know respond that it simply won't fit.

When you say "we" want to go camping is it just 2 people? Are you buying an Unlimited...i.e. a 4 door (is Dual top even a 2 door option?) I hope it's not more than 2 people, there's no room for more with the soft top in back, boxed or unboxed.

If you are buying a 4 door, and have just 2 people in total traveling in the rig, you can do this. Personally I'm not in love with the idea, but if you really want to try to make a camping trip out of it then....(I'm a little lost, or you buying/renting camping/climbing gear, or to rephrase, how if at all are you getting this equipment to the dealer?)

a) with another adult's help, properly lit or in the light of day remove the humungous box.

b) remove a large an extremely thin box. That's the windows. I'd keep this box. It comes in handy to hold the windows in storage.

b) separate the hard top, and all hardware, from door surrounds to nuts and bolts and put it in the back of the rig. Make sure you have everything, then discard the large box.

c) make sure you watch this video several times when it comes time to installing the soft top

d) when you install the soft top, don't even try to plug in the piece that comes with the soft top that secures the back window's electrical and washer cables into the back of the rig. Certainly feel free to attach the 2 cables to the piece and and let that piece dangle freely, but unless they corrected this engineering fit defect in the 2019, and that is in fact the 2019 vehicle you are taking possession of and not the 2018, don't even try.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-148#post-171873

Even if it’s not possible, I’m hoping some of the bulkier components can still be installed.
It's just not going to happen. The door surrounds won't fit with the hard top on. You can't install the 2 rear corner tailgate and side window retainers with the hard top on. You can though install and leave the two pieces of hardware that attach to the Sports Bar, both shown at this point in the above referenced video:

If not, I may have to break the box down and throw out those large spacers/empty boxes.
Any ideas?
Barring above the box storage, which may block the rear view, the box takes up the entire area behind the front seats to the tailgate. I don't recommend you do this type of storage, but you may wish familiarize yourself with how to engage your rear camera even when the rig isn't in reverse, using your display, if you do end up blocking your rear view. Make sure that both your side mirrors are operational to remain street legal.[/quote]
Sponsored