Sponsored

Things to Consider before you purchase DV8 Bumpers…

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey,

The DV8 bumpers (front/rear) I purchased for my JL is my third go with their products (2 previous JK builds).

Like before, the bumpers came VERY well packed, especially the front bumper. It’s pretty much encased within Styrofoam and takes a good amount of time to remove. Once I got them out of the boxes…MAN was I disappointed with the condition! :(

The front bumper had rust chips all over the place, rust stains (which I couldn’t remove), and chipped paint. See the pictures below. I spent a good amount of time fixing these issues with bed-liner spray paint. There was a massive 5” round paint chip on the front, which I can tell they fixed with spray paint as well. At least the front licenses plate bracket blocks this. Their website indicates the fog light holes fit the factory fog lights. This isn’t true. They fit the JK fog lights, but not the JL. The JL has a different plastic housing for the fog lights. I had to modify the plastic housing in order for it to work.

The rear bumper was in better condition, with only chipped paint. But, it takes time to prep the surface to paint.

Some of you may have not had issues with your DV8 bumpers….good for you. Unfortunately, I did.

Based on the weight and size, this is not a simple slap on the label and return scenario...So heads up, if you buy their bumpers, you may have to spend time to correct the same issues that I had to do.

bumper 1.jpeg
bumper 2.jpeg
bumper 3.jpeg
bumper 4.jpeg
bumper 5.jpeg
Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My first thought for things to consider would be “another company.”

In all seriousness, I hate that you’re having to deal with crappy quality control. I hope they are doing something to help make the situation right.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't their products made in China?

I'm not a fan of serious Jeep hardware that isn't made in the USA. Little interior modifications, lights, dash components, switches, and other minor things aren't a problem for me, but I wouldn't consider purchasing armor, bumpers, cages, winches, or any other critical components from China due to the simple fact they're always poorly engineered.

Your pics alone remind me of Rugged Ridge and I don't think I've ever bought a product from them that didn't have a flaw right out of the box.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I have DV8 bumpers front and rear. First I didn't like the fact that only 4 bolts hold the rear bumper. 2 on either side. I also had two small areas on the rear with finish issues. Small enough to take a Q tip and bedliner to touch up. For some reason, my front came in perfect condition, but was a bitch mounting it. I agree with you on the OEM LED fogs. Mine from the plastic bumper did not fit and they say it does. I had to mount mine with plastic push type fasteners that hold them in snug with no movement at all.

Their skid plate is another issue. They say it fits their FS-25 just fine. One my Sahara, it does not. I had to fabricate a small notch in the center of the skid plate to allow the front bumper to seat correctly. Their FS25 has a metal support in the center of the bumper. When you push the bumper on and attempt to tighten it down, that center metal support hits the skid plate. So a small notch is needed....and...spacers to move the bumper slightly outward. Its is a pain and I do not like it when a company says it is made....or fits...a JL and it doesn't.

I feel your pain on this one.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
BA0B26A1-143D-40FD-9BF4-C6FE233F54C7.jpeg
01E0C8BD-D241-40C3-9AC7-4CEF55AC9ECD.jpeg
I ordered a DV8 rear bumper from Extreme Terrain that arrived back in August. I never opened the box so I can’t describe the internal packing, but both ends of the bumper completely ripped through the ends of the box. Both ends were protruding through the box and were scraped up—paint missing and beginning to show rust. I returned it (no cost to me). There is another review on Extreme Terrain outlining this same scenario, but that one is not mine. It took 2 weeks to get a shipping label to send it back. A small headache. I will not by DV8 again. Sad part? My wife and I each have a JL, so I need two rear bumpers, but I don’t want to spend $1400+ on two bumpers and they need to have the park sensors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phatjoe

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
They say it fits their FS-25 just fine. One my Sahara, it does not. I had to fabricate a small notch in the center of the skid plate to allow the front bumper to seat correctly. Their FS25 has a metal support in the center of the bumper. When you push the bumper on and attempt to tighten it down, that center metal support hits the skid plate. So a small notch is needed..
Funny that you mention fabricating a small notch in the center skid plate. :)

I have the FS-10 (has a skid plate), and I had to cut notches on both sides of the skid plate for it to fit properly. I have the tools to cut metal, so I managed to fix the issue. Others may not have the proper tools, so something else to keep in mind.

My rear bumper did require the jeep mounting holes to be drilled out a little bit. I'm fine with this, because they mentioned this to me.

Long story short, if you go with DV8 be prepared to modify quite a bit of it.....

bentaxle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

The DV8 bumpers (front/rear) I purchased for my JL is my third go with their products (2 previous JK builds).

Like before, the bumpers came VERY well packed, especially the front bumper. It’s pretty much encased within Styrofoam and takes a good amount of time to remove. Once I got them out of the boxes…MAN was I disappointed with the condition! :(

The front bumper had rust chips all over the place, rust stains (which I couldn’t remove), and chipped paint. See the pictures below. I spent a good amount of time fixing these issues with bed-liner spray paint. There was a massive 5” round paint chip on the front, which I can tell they fixed with spray paint as well. At least the front licenses plate bracket blocks this. Their website indicates the fog light holes fit the factory fog lights. This isn’t true. They fit the JK fog lights, but not the JL. The JL has a different plastic housing for the fog lights. I had to modify the plastic housing in order for it to work.

The rear bumper was in better condition, with only chipped paint. But, it takes time to prep the surface to paint.

Some of you may have not had issues with your DV8 bumpers….good for you. Unfortunately, I did.

Based on the weight and size, this is not a simple slap on the label and return scenario...So heads up, if you buy their bumpers, you may have to spend time to correct the same issues that I had to do.

bumper 1.jpeg
bumper 2.jpeg
bumper 3.jpeg
bumper 4.jpeg
bumper 5.jpeg

Have it white sand blasted to remove all the rust then powder coated, you can't coat rusting steel and expect the coating to stick to it properly.

Fatmac1045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
My FS-15 front bumper was delivered in perfect condition, but the modifications it took to get it fitted was a PITA. I like the final look, but truth be told if I had to do it again. I would have passed on DV8 and spent my money elsewhere. As others have said the JL fog lights didn't fit as advertised. I had to get creative to make them fit. I have the skid plate that I have yet to fit, I'm going to assume that I will need to modify it as well.

Oh well, you live and learn. Hopefully these real world reviews, will save someone from unwarranted frustration and wasted time.

Lustmord

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
Thanks for posting, their pumper was on my shortlist but not now.
The modifications needed is "interesting" considering the claims made by DV8.
Sorry you have to deal with this nonsense.

Sponsored

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Can I ask why you did not make them replace it with another new one? Almost bought FS-14. Glad I went with the Warn Elite!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Totally unacceptable, I would have requested and RMA and sent it all back

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Have it white sand blasted to remove all the rust then powder coated, you can't coat rusting steel and expect the coating to stick to it properly.
^^^^^this

Blodgetter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S (Eve)
I have the FS-10 front, and the RBJL-01 rear

For the FS-10, only had slight damage on one corner, and one of the tack welded bolts had come free. However to get it to fit my 2 door JL sport was.... fun? Ended up modifying the holes to line it up correctly, and cutting part of the skid plate to make it fit. After getting it on, I contacted them to ask about a mounting bracket for the JL fog lights, since they wouldn't fit. I was informed that this bumper doesn't fit the JL, so I could return it for a refund. Since id already made it fit, and do like the look of it, I wasnt inclined to remove it and go through the headache of sending it back. I instead ordered a pair of LED fog lights for the JK, which are thankfully plug and play to the JL (unlike the headlights). The front bumper also has no place for a licence plate (required front plate in 31 states) but a minor issue.

The rear bumper went on with ease, and was clearly designed for the JL. That said: They did not provide any wires or clips to wire up the LED backup lights (minor, but annoying). They did include a bracket for the licence plate! Sadly they failed to provide a place to mount the plate light (required in EVERY state). Managed to make one myself, but this is a foolish oversight IMHO.
Sponsored