Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting, this is the one I plan to go with and add the cargo rack. Looks great
Thanks, I think you'll really like it. The Backbone provides a little extra peace of mind that you can leave things in the back of the Jeep without them easily walking away.
Sponsored

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
years ago, I had the tuffy box that sit behind the rear seat in my CJ5
Sold on security boxes. People will get it once they have had their jeep raided a couple times with the top off or soft top

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Too permanent and $699 is way too high for a cargo cover that cannot be removed without a lot of effort.
It's not a cargo cover, it's a security deck and enclosure that also can be used as a cargo cover. Big, big difference.

I like it, $699 is a little high, but I like that it fits under both the soft top and hard top and it can be used to shield the rear cargo area in a thunderstorm and such if need be. I will look into a little further. It looks waterproof except it will allow rain in between the rear of the deck top and the tailgate. Still, not bad.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I love my backbone. It can keep out a light to moderate rain, can keep my golf clubs or briefcase secure and allows me to have a deck to store a second level of things like waterbottles/Gatorade on top, groceries on the bottom. When my half doors finally arrive, I'll extend the deck all the way to the front seats for a truck look.

Backbone2.jpg

Sponsored

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
years ago, I had the tuffy box that sit behind the rear seat in my CJ5
Sold on security boxes. People will get it once they have had their jeep raided a couple times with the top off or soft top
I agree. I am going to buy the Tuffy Security Cover when it comes available for the JL with Alpine Sub, I spoke to a sales rep, today at Tuffy and he said it will be out for sale by the middle of August. I like this option because it can be removed or the lid propped up to make room for larger items such as 12 volt coolers, etc.

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Backbone arrived this afternoon. Install was pretty straight-forward, and the build quality is solid, with no rattles. There's a sale coming for the 4th, if anyone's interested.

Backbone1.jpg

Backbone2.jpg
This looks awesome! I wish it would work with the soft top on....hoping the will make it soon!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This looks awesome! I wish it would work with the soft top on....hoping the will make it soon!
Thanks, this is quality stuff, and I have to say their service/responsiveness has been amazing, too.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Thanks for posting, this is the one I plan to go with and add the cargo rack. Looks great
This is nice. I would love to get one.
I assume that when he hard top goes on in the winter this backbone unit gets removed? It's one big piece?

Sponsored

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
This is nice. I would love to get one.
I assume that when he hard top goes on in the winter this backbone unit gets removed? It's one big piece?
From day one, I've been running the backbone with the hardtop. At first I thought it would cut down on trunk storage but I was completely wrong, it provides a shelf for extra items. Home Depot yesterday with a bail of hay on top, other items below or grocery store run with bread on top of the backbone other items below and when camping it is so nice to keep items on top and in the trunk.

By far the best upgrade I've done.

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
I agree. I am going to buy the Tuffy Security Cover when it comes available for the JL with Alpine Sub, I spoke to a sales rep, today at Tuffy and he said it will be out for sale by the middle of August. I like this option because it can be removed or the lid propped up to make room for larger items such as 12 volt coolers, etc.
It’s in production already. Mine was shipped, called them up!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I think the key difference in the price of a lot of the available products is concealment versus security. If you're looking for a "lock box" or something that will deter theft it's going to cost more than those designed to simply hide the cargo from view.
That said, the cheapest option for concealment (with the hardtop on) is to simply add tint to the back windows. I added 20% tint on my stock rear windows, which were already something like 20-35%. They're dark enough now that you can't simply look in and see what's back there.
As noted this is only a viable option with the hardtop on, and it is only providing concealment. Of course I guess if you have the top on you can lock the doors, and get the security you're after too, but this doesn't help for soft top or topless options.
I rented a Wrangler while in Hawaii years ago. It had a soft top, and one day someone unzipped the rear window and stole a bag that was in the cargo area. Fortunately nothing extremely expensive was in it, but it was enough to make me decide I'd never own a soft top Jeep without some sort of box in the cargo area. Fast forward to now that I own a Wrangler, and I have a hard top to avoid such issues. However, the concern for when it's topless arises. I'm thinking about doing something like the above poster, but I'm trying to come up with a design that allows me to leave it on with the hardtop on.
Sponsored