Flashcal or Tazer for JLU Sport?

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
I’m debating on the Flashcal or Tazer for my JLU sport S. I really just want to update my tire size so my speedo is correct, plus I wouldn’t mind disabling ESS. From the forums, everyone loves the Tazer, but is it worth the extra $80? Especially since I don’t have a Rubicon?

Everyone’s thought are appreciated!
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Go with the Tazr Light. Cheaper than both and will do what you want.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Go with the lite as stated...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Wfd1244

I hate it when a guy/gal says something to the affect that I only have a ______ and not a Rubicon.

Anyway, There is no question in my mind that the Tazer JL Lite is the one you should go with.

You want tire size programming
You want a programmer that can actually disable ESS. The Tazer JL and Tazer JL LIte are the only programmers that can do it the right way. Do it without also unplugging plunger connector and your having to deal with a error screen on the evic (dash) periodically.

Also, I think you will appreciate disable auto park that the Tazer JL and Tazer JL Lite both offer.

A Tazer JL Lite costs $219.00. Probably half or more of those $ you will get when you eventually resell the Tazer JL Lite when you sell the JL.

Shawn, ask yourself why, probably 90% or more guys / gals that went with a programmer for their JL, went with a Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite. If that doesn't tell you something then .................

I promise if you go with a programmer other then a Tazer JL Lite, you will regret doing so in short order!

And no, I do not work for ZAutomotive.

OP
OP
Wfd1244

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
Thanks for all the responses! I’m definitely convinced on the Tazer Lite! I ordered it! I’m learning slowly but surely all the things needed for my Sport build! These forums have been a huge benefit

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have both and prefer the Tazer. The way it calculates for tires sizes is much smoother and works a lot better.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Personal preference - I am running a trailcal as Superchips has proven performance tunes with the Jeep (although not available yet). Plus I wanted offroad pages on my sport.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I have both and prefer the Tazer. The way it calculates for tires sizes is much smoother and works a lot better.
Can you elaborate what makes the Tazer tire size calculation smoother and better than the Flashcal?
I watched a video on the Tazer posted by [Banned Site] and video host was running 37s and plugged in the number displayed on the EVIC that was closest to 37. There was no measurement of the tire like what used to be required on the AEV Procal for the JK. A buddy of mine has the Superchips Flashcal for JL and I believe he had to measure his tire as well. Just curious about why the Tazer goes off of the number on the sidewall vs the actual tire size under the load of the weight of the Jeep.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I measured the exact tire size for the Tazer and plugged in the closest number that was an available choice but at 65 mph it was off 1 mph and most would have said that’s good enough but my OCD would not accept that so I just kept going up one selection at a time and then checked it with a GPS app and was spot on after a few adjustments.

I actually could have gotten by with the lite version but at the time it was not available but I how am using a few other things that are not available with the lite but if it’s had to I could easily get by with the lesser of the two and you won’t be disappointed with either.

I don’t believe the Tazer goes off what is written on the sidewalk of the tire.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Can you elaborate what makes the Tazer tire size calculation smoother and better than the Flashcal?
I watched a video on the Tazer posted by [Banned Site] and video host was running 37s and plugged in the number displayed on the EVIC that was closest to 37. There was no measurement of the tire like what used to be required on the AEV Procal for the JK. A buddy of mine has the Superchips Flashcal for JL and I believe he had to measure his tire as well. Just curious about why the Tazer goes off of the number on the sidewall vs the actual tire size under the load of the weight of the Jeep.
With the Tazer, you actually input the size of your tire. My tires measure just a slight tick above 33" when on the Jeep. So, I selected the "33.015" setting in the Tazer and boom...it's perfect.

With the FlashCal, you have settings that go in quarter inch increments AND the way they do their calculation is different. Therefore, I had to make a selection, drive and compare to GPS, make another selection, drive and compare to GPS, etc. until it finally was close. It never did get quite as close as the Tazer, but I finally got it within 1 MPH.

It's all a matter of how each company does their programming, but I like the Tazer method better because it uses actual measurements so you can nail it the very first time.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
With the Tazer, you actually input the size of your tire. My tires measure just a slight tick above 33" when on the Jeep. So, I selected the "33.015" setting in the Tazer and boom...it's perfect.

With the FlashCal, you have settings that go in quarter inch increments AND the way they do their calculation is different. Therefore, I had to make a selection, drive and compare to GPS, make another selection, drive and compare to GPS, etc. until it finally was close. It never did get quite as close as the Tazer, but I finally got it within 1 MPH.

It's all a matter of how each company does their programming, but I like the Tazer method better because it uses actual measurements so you can nail it the very first time.
I agree with @WXman on this. So much easier with Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite.

Regardless of what programmer you use though, always after programming tire size, use a smart phone app to verify speedometer accuracy. Reprogram if necessary until your speedo is correct.

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
If using programmer only for tires and lighting what would be the better choice. I know most recommend tazer but the flashcal seems allot easier to use cuz it has it's own screen to toggle through. Thoughts please?

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
@Wfd1244

I hate it when a guy/gal says something to the affect that I only have a ______ and not a Rubicon.

Anyway, There is no question in my mind that the Tazer JL Lite is the one you should go with.

You want tire size programming
You want a programmer that can actually disable ESS. The Tazer JL and Tazer JL LIte are the only programmers that can do it the right way. Do it without also unplugging plunger connector and your having to deal with a error screen on the evic (dash) periodically.

Also, I think you will appreciate disable auto park that the Tazer JL and Tazer JL Lite both offer.

A Tazer JL Lite costs $219.00. Probably half or more of those $ you will get when you eventually resell the Tazer JL Lite when you sell the JL.

Shawn, ask yourself why, probably 90% or more guys / gals that went with a programmer for their JL, went with a Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite. If that doesn't tell you something then .................

I promise if you go with a programmer other then a Tazer JL Lite, you will regret doing so in short order!

And no, I do not work for ZAutomotive.

Does the disabling of the ESS remove the capability of remote start?

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
To me, and this is strictly my opinion based on what I plan to use it for, they don't aim at the same end-result.

The tazer products are meant to be left on, specially the mini since it's buried under the dash.
The flashcal is more a plug-in tool that you won't leave plugged in. Sure it has a few "live" options that you need to leave it plugged in for, just like Tazer, but the shape of it won't really make you want to leave it on.

So, since I plan to only tweak tire size, the flashcal is the better choice for me.

Oh and they may have different ways of "asking" you for tire size, but they all store it in the jeep's computer the same way, so that argument is only for ease of use and has not effect on end-result.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Personal preference - I am running a trailcal as Superchips has proven performance tunes with the Jeep (although not available yet). Plus I wanted offroad pages on my sport.

So you can get the off road pages with the flashcal but not the tazer? That is also an option I want on our sport.
Sponsored