old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It's the only thing i really dislike about the jeep, I'm just waiting for Jeep to step up and fix it. The dealers around here just say it a jeep thing, but there are to many JK owners who also say it has way more wandering then their JK have or had. Do Not know why the dealer do not want to fix the issue as they get paid by JEEP for warranty work. I had ask two local dealer two days after buying the JL to check the alignment, but said they would only do it on my dime because all the other JL's on the lot drive the same and I'll bet they all have 47PSI in the tires too. That just tell me they do not have a clue about this new JL and I do not trust them to get anything right.
Correct . I have a JK and I have NO steering issues nor wandering .
Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
To those thinking the problem is noobie Wrangler owners, I invite you to load up your precious family in my JL and take them across country, I promise you after 100 miles you will be pulling a U turn. This is a safety issue that can not be passed on.
Definitely not a noobie wrangler thing. I went from an 02 TJ to an 15 JK and now a 18 JL. I have had cars also - grand cherokee, mustang, volt, cruze, edge - and this JL wandered like nothing I have ever driven. Taking it home was an adventure. I lowered the pressure from 47 to 36 and that helped a little. Break in also seemed to help. The biggest help so far has been the TSB 08-098-18 which some say it is just that they flash the PCM and BCM so thats what helped. Tightening of the ball joints further helped. It still has play in the wheel, more than I can remember my JK having but now I am not sure if it does. regardless, it doesnt drift into the other lanes anymore when I decide to look off at a billboard or some scenery for 2 seconds. I will be watching for resolution from Jeep on the steering play issue but for now it doesnt feel unsafe.

If you watch my video I would say the play is normal now... maybe?

OP
OP

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
Definitely not a noobie wrangler thing. I went from an 02 TJ to an 15 JK and now a 18 JL. I have had cars also - grand cherokee, mustang, volt, cruze, edge - and this JL wandered like nothing I have ever driven. Taking it home was an adventure. I lowered the pressure from 47 to 36 and that helped a little. Break in also seemed to help. The biggest help so far has been the TSB 08-098-18 which some say it is just that they flash the PCM and BCM so thats what helped. Tightening of the ball joints further helped. It still has play in the wheel, more than I can remember my JK having but now I am not sure if it does. regardless, it doesnt drift into the other lanes anymore when I decide to look off at a billboard or some scenery for 2 seconds. I will be watching for resolution from Jeep on the steering play issue but for now it doesnt feel unsafe.

If you watch my video I would say the play is normal now... maybe?
Have the Steering Box changed out, I had the TSB done first then the steering box and now its a lot better.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Couldn't this have been merged with one of the other 7,235 threads on the same topic?

JLs built at the very end of January are under safety recall for faulty steering intermediate shafts.

A huge number of JLs not under this recall have a separate issue where the PCM was programmed with the wrong calibration for the electronic steering. You need to have your dealership update all your powertrain/body configurations with their update tools.

Mine was downright sketchy when I got it in April and in June I finally went to the dealership and had mine flashed and it's been wonderful ever since, so I know the TSB works.

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Have the Steering Box changed out, I had the TSB done first then the steering box and now its a lot better.
How did you get them to replace the steering box? Just take it in and say the steering wheel has lots of play? I had to beg just to get the PCM and BCM stuff updated. Can’t image having actual work above 5 minutes with parts is easy to get done.

Sponsored

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
I have a new jeep on route do we think it will still have these issues or factory would have corrected them by now?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'd drive it first thing, with the service manager and see how she holds the road, if she wanders, or "darts" the manager will be aware and can be witness-

If you're lucky, it'll just be the (4) tire pressures and that'll be corrected immediately-if not then Ball Joints, or steering box will take some time-

Mine (July 14) was tire pressure-

Good luck

JIMBO

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new jeep on route do we think it will still have these issues or factory would have corrected them by now?
2nd that. I brought a tire pressure gauge and aired it down to 36psi as per spec at the dealer's then took it for a test drive before I bought it. Got it up to 55 mph where lots of the problems seem to happen. Mine was fine (though it's a bit busy on the highway and could probably be improved).

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
I posted this in the bigger thread but just for exposure I am also including it here. What are your opinions on how much play I have? I am a Wrangler novice.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I posted this in the bigger thread but just for exposure I am also including it here. What are your opinions on how much play I have? I am a Wrangler novice.

Yours looks normal -- and by normal I mean totally crappy like the rest of ours! :blush:

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
That's NORMAL---if it "WANDERS" that's a problem and-

It looks like the jeep runs pretty straight and steady-

W.E.

JIMBO

HighDeaf1080p

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2dr Sting Gray

I dunno...yours looks quite a bit more loose than mine. I freaked a little on my first test drive of one before I ordered, but having never read the forums, I chalked it up to solid front axle, and big tires, and just being so different from what I was driving daily. While waiting for my ordered one to arrive, I started reading these forums, and they got me totally worked up about this steering thing. Moreso than need be, in my opinion.

On my test drive upon delivery of mine, if felt very different and imprecise from what I was used to, but I still felt it was something I could get used to. On my drive home from the dealership that first night, I was terrified I was going to wreck the thing in the heavy evening traffic.

I have since put 200 miles on it, and I have relaxed a lot. Yesterday alone I put 100 miles on it, and have gotten used to it. I have decided that I have "standard crappy steering" and not the "defective safety concern steering" that some of you appear to have. My last 4x4 was an FJ cruiser with a lift and 33" tires, and while it had plenty of tire bounce and other issues, I don't remember quite the white knuckle adrenaline experience when I first was getting used to that one, so the solid axle front definitely makes a difference and takes some getting used to. After my long drive yesterday, I feel comfortable in it, and the float is starting to actually feel relaxing. I can imagine that off-road, I will fall in love with this less "darty" steering feel.

But I don't discount the idea that many of you (some newbies and some not) have a very real calibration issue going on here. I really hope you all get it worked out, because these are truly sexy, awesome beasts once you're able to enjoy them. The video at the top of this page looks like my steering...and "normal" to me now. The second video on this page looks like a LOT of float and correcting at 35mph to me...but, while I'm not a 4x4 newbie, I am a Jeep newbie so I would defer to the veterans if they're saying its normal. It looks to be about double what mine has.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S

Thanks for the video. Pretty much describes where I'm at too. I can't tell if it's an issue or a "jeep thing". To be sure, I plan to discussing with the dealer. I'll bring him the TSB and my VIN. I've read about steering box adjustments. Still playing with tire pressures too. Someone else had posted (here or FB?) that many of us are newbies, coming from "normal" vehicles. I traded a '16 mustang that tracked extremely straight, very tight sport handling. Not fair to compare it too the jeep.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I don't remember quite the white knuckle adrenaline experience when I first was getting used to that one, so the solid axle front definitely makes a difference and takes some getting used to.
Calling @HighDeaf1080p , memo from 'reality' : It's Not the solid axle .

I've driven solid axle Jeeps over 50 years , and never had steering issues .

Last edited:

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
I mean... this "it's a Jeep thing" is out of hand. I think what we have is straight up poor design. Tomorrow I'm supposed to pick up my brand new Jeep and I'm trying to figure out if the steering is like shown in the above videos if I even want to go through with the purchase.

Driving like a cartoon down the highway in a car that is pushing 50k is unacceptable. If simply trying to keep your car centered in the lane due to excessive play is "a Jeep thing" count me out. Nobody here is asking for formula 1 precision.

I sincerely hope I don't have to walk but what choice does a buyer honestly have. I have yet to see anyone formally acknowledge there is even a problem. The sport I drove a month and a half ago did not drive like this. The Rubicon I drove 2 weeks ago was all over the place. My previous Grand Cherokee and JK's I have test driven were nothing like this.

Jeep should be insanely proud of what they have done with the JL... but jeeze, fix the steering.
Sponsored