Not open for further replies.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Count us in for a roof rack that allows us to fold the soft top back!
Not sure why one would want to put the top down when you have a roof rack above you. That would kind of defeat the purpose of the open air feel no? Asking here, not being snarky.
Sponsored

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
Most of the time it would't have things on it. One of the reasons we bought our JL was to two it behind an RV. Hauling kayaks, etc on a soft top isn't easy. This would give us more options.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Not sure why one would want to put the top down when you have a roof rack above you. That would kind of defeat the purpose of the open air feel no? Asking here, not being snarky.
I hear you @twisty Bill. Perhaps your question is answered by asking it in a different form.

"I don't know why people who want to have some form of an open air feel to their JL's roof, be it soft top opening or Freedom Panel removal on the hard top would go out and by a roof rack?"

In my case I needed to haul a lot of gear, if not overland, then "over highway," for my kid to take to college. Short of towing a trailer, my 4 door JL, even with front and back hitches to attach cargo baskets to, and cargo bags in them, and an interior cargo area divider that granted above and below storage, and the back seats down, the JL, with just these additions, just didn't provide enough room for gear in my case.

Taking this roof rack off, as most times I take the rig out it is not used, is cumbersome, and I still wanted to have the rig's open air functionality.

Because I was up against a time deadline to get this setup, and Gobi's product was on backorder, not to mention expensive (which is not to be confused with overpriced: it's extremely well made I'm sure) I made my own rack with removable and fold down cross members to facilitate having the top down when the rack is not being used.

Of course it would be awesome if the professional product of this thread (as opposed to my home made rack) allowed top down scenarios and gear attached to the rack at the same time.

I guess us Wrangler owners like to have our cake and eat it too.;)

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
This same question could be asked about the sunshades that are so often installed, but are thoroughly enjoyed by those same people. From the looks of the LOD rendering above, it looks like this rack is a surrounding structure that rides along the edges of the vehicle (windshield sides/top, door tops, and cargo area). The "basket" looks to be bars spaced at 1 footish intervals. It is certainly made to be slideable but may also be removable. If so, then the openness wouldnt be hampered at all when removed. If not, I doubt the openness will be impeded by much.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I have asked LOD if the sliding rack can easily be removed, but if not there are crossbars but mostly open.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This same question could be asked about the sunshades that are so often installed, but are thoroughly enjoyed by those same people. From the looks of the LOD rendering above, it looks like this rack is a surrounding structure that rides along the edges of the vehicle (windshield sides/top, door tops, and cargo area). The "basket" looks to be bars spaced at 1 footish intervals. It is certainly made to be slideable but may also be removable. If so, then the openness wouldnt be hampered at all when removed. If not, I doubt the openness will be impeded by much.
For the basket to come complete off when not used, that would be awesome--of course to also imply that if this functionality is available would be to hope that its owner can insure it only comes off when they, and not thieves want it to.

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Is there an email list we can add ourselves to so we can be informed of when this is released?
Yes, we have an email list sign up on our page at www.lodoffroad.com just enter your info there and you will get a product release when it comes out. Of course we will also post here, and on the website splash page, so you can always watch those instead if you wish. :like:

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Thank you again everyone for the responses!

All of the cross bars are fully removable/adjustable, so you can move them however you need! And the soft top should be compatible, potentially even in the sunrider setting if you remove some rear cross bars to make room for the fabric! We will release more information when testing is complete, so stay tuned for updates. We are working hard to bring you a very functional product :)

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thank you again everyone for the responses!

All of the cross bars are fully removable/adjustable, so you can move them however you need! And the soft top should be compatible, potentially even in the sunrider setting if you remove some rear cross bars to make room for the fabric! We will release more information when testing is complete, so stay tuned for updates. We are working hard to bring you a very functional product :)
Now this is the stuff I like to hear!

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Greetings fellow Jeepers,

LoD Offroad here, and we would like to share with you a concept render of the new patent pending sliding roof rack we will be releasing in early 2019! Questions and comments are always welcome! Stay tuned for more release info and photos!

The rack will be bearing operated for super smooth operation, and will be able to move with gear on top for ultra convenience. A removable ladder will be an add-on option, as well as a wind deflector for the front. The construction will feature durable latches, and a reversable mechanism.

xgBIB2.jpg
I like the concept. Will it work with the "One Touch" System?

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I like the concept. Will it work with the "One Touch" System?
Based on what @lodoffroad just said and this video below, queued at the relevant point, I'd have to guess that yes, it will work with the power top, even if the rack top has to be slid out of the way first while the top opens: which it might not. I base this on the fact that the accumulation of power top fabric appears to take up less vertical space when the top is open than when the soft top is in the Sunrider position. I only own the latter, not the former.

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Most likely you would have to remove the horizontal cross members for that sort of compatibility, from what we see the the One Touch sticks up ~4 inches when retracted, but it will probably work if you're willing to relocate some cross members :like:

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Based on what @lodoffroad just said and this video below, queued at the relevant point, I'd have to guess that yes, it will work with the power top, even if the rack top has to be slid out of the way first while the top opens: which it might not. I base this on the fact that the accumulation of power top fabric appears to take up less vertical space when the top is open than when the soft top is in the Sunrider position. I only own the latter, not the former.

For this type of top, you may be able to get away with just removing some cross bars, or yes, operating it while the rack is "opened"

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
You guys are coming out with a SIDE sliding roof rack?! Great idea! I liked your rear-sliding roof rack for the JKU but this looks even better.

And your front and rear bumpers and rock sliders are the BEST. LoD makes great products! (former customer)

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
interested! I just installed your Signature Sliders and they're excellent quality. Very happy customer here!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.