5% under invoice as OTD or Sale price

dodo-skywalker

First Name
Jeeny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
have a question now. People say good deal is 10% under MRSP or 5% under invoice, Is that to be OTD or just sale price w/0 Tax, doc, licensing?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thx I always thought that number is for OTD
Everyone wants a net/net deal. Remember there are other variables and considerations that can impact your net cost.

Will you have a trade?
Are there any add-ons or backend services or products?
Is it a simple cash deal or is there financing involved?
Cost of DOC fee?

Sponsored

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2016 Rubicon
My OTD price was about 3.5% below MSRP.
Did my own financing and sold my previous car privately as well.

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mom Van, researching our next Wrangler
Watch out for high doc fees. Doc fee should be 299-349, not 800 or 1,000 that some dealers charge.
Ask to see the invoice then make sure you are 4-5% below that.
Do you qualify for an affilate discount such as tread lightly or a diacount through your employer. This will net you another 1%.
Ask to see a sales order with your total out the door costs. Tell them you are going to take this to your bank to shop for a better rate.
Let us know if anything does not look right. You can black out your name and post it here.
Dealers can be sneaky with fees like "security stickers for $300".

OP
OP

dodo-skywalker

First Name
Jeeny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thx! Tried to negotiate OTD as 10% under MSRP
Watch out for high doc fees. Doc fee should be 299-349, not 800 or 1,000 that some dealers charge.
Ask to see the invoice then make sure you are 4-5% below that.
Do you qualify for an affilate discount such as tread lightly or a diacount through your employer. This will net you another 1%.
Ask to see a sales order with your total out the door costs. Tell them you are going to take this to your bank to shop for a better rate.
Let us know if anything does not look right. You can black out your name and post it here.
Dealers can be sneaky with fees like "security stickers for $300".

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I think making a blanket statement like that ignores the significant differences that may exist based upon location. In places where dealers are allowed by their local legislation to bend their customers over and charge what they want, depending upon day of the week and phase of the moon, $349 may indeed be a great doc fee. By comparison, though, some places have consumer protection laws in place to regulate that. Here in Illinois, for example, the doc fee that can be charged in 2018 is capped by the State at $175.94 - which would make $349 a ripoff. It's also important to note that the doc fee isn't something that the State (in Illinois, at least) REQUIRES the dealer MUST collect - the buyer can attempt to negotiate that down or out of the deal entirely (though it has become increasingly rare as dealers have become as dependent on this as airlines have on bag fees). But if a dealer tells you they are required by the State to collect that doc fee feel free to give them a virtual kick in the nuts and let them know you know they are lying and you now are extremely suspect of everything else they are telling you. The moral is to research what is and isn't allowed in the area where YOU are buying your vehicle as well as what the prevailing rates typically are.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thx I always thought that number is for OTD
You have consider that tax variables will change depending on the buyer. For example: I bought my Jeep from Superior Jeep in Conway, AR. They quoted me a number, which was 7% below invoice. This is before tax, title, etc... Because you get charged those items based in where you are registering the vehicle. Every city, county, and and state is different. In my case, I chose to pay the dealer exactly what they quoted me and then pay the taxes and other fees at my local DMV.

Sponsored

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mom Van, researching our next Wrangler
I think making a blanket statement like that ignores the significant differences that may exist based upon location. In places where dealers are allowed by their local legislation to bend their customers over and charge what they want, depending upon day of the week and phase of the moon, $349 may indeed be a great doc fee. By comparison, though, some places have consumer protection laws in place to regulate that. Here in Illinois, for example, the doc fee that can be charged in 2018 is capped by the State at $175.94 - which would make $349 a ripoff. It's also important to note that the doc fee isn't something that the State (in Illinois, at least) REQUIRES the dealer MUST collect - the buyer can attempt to negotiate that down or out of the deal entirely (though it has become increasingly rare as dealers have become as dependent on this as airlines have on bag fees). But if a dealer tells you they are required by the State to collect that doc fee feel free to give them a virtual kick in the nuts and let them know you know they are lying and you now are extremely suspect of everything else they are telling you. The moral is to research what is and isn't allowed in the area where YOU are buying your vehicle as well as what the prevailing rates typically are.
Karl- Great points, I was unaware that Doc fee is capped in Illinois.

You have consider that tax variables will change depending on the buyer. For example: I bought my Jeep from Superior Jeep in Conway, AR. They quoted me a number, which was 7% below invoice. This is before tax, title, etc... Because you get charged those items based in where you are registering the vehicle. Every city, county, and and state is different. In my case, I chose to pay the dealer exactly what they quoted me and then pay the taxes and other fees at my local DMV.
DB- I believe when making these comparisons we are looking at price of the Jeep when discussing one dealer versus another. Your taxes will be the same no matter where you purchase the jeep, I believe we all understand that going in to the decision making process, at least I hope we all we do.

Thanks,
Scott

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Just factor in the doc fee to each deal. It’s profit for the dealer just like holding gross on the selling price of the Jeep. As long as you know all of your costs then it’s simple to compare on deal to the next, even if the doc fees vary. Take customers around the metro DC area as an example. Maryland law limits doc fees to $300, while Virginia has no such law. That doesn’t prevent a lot of Marylanders from going to Koons or Farrish ($699 doc fee at both locations) or any number of other Virginia dealers to buy their Wrangler.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Karl- Great points, I was unaware that Doc fee is capped in Illinois.

DB- I believe when making these comparisons we are looking at price of the Jeep when discussing one dealer versus another. Your taxes will be the same no matter where you purchase the jeep, I believe we all understand that going in to the decision making process, at least I hope we all we do.

Thanks,
Scott
Trust me, Scott, it's probably about the ONLY thing good about buying a car where I live - it's a drop in the bucket compared to the tax rates! :mad:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
have a question now. People say good deal is 10% under MRSP or 5% under invoice, Is that to be OTD or just sale price w/0 Tax, doc, licensing?
Here's I hope the easiest answer of all. The forum just released the September prices.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...guide-4-door-jlu-u-s-order-bank-is-open.1467/

In there you'll find two price columns, FWP, or factory wholesale price, (a.k.a. invoice price) and MSRP: the latter acronym we all know.

You want 5% off the FWP, or factory wholesale/invoice price.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Trust me, Scott, it's probably about the ONLY thing good about buying a car where I live - it's a drop in the bucket compared to the tax rates! :mad:
Seems to me that the states that regulate doc fees tend to reliably vote Democrat. (i.e. high tax states). I could be wrong.
Sponsored