• Total voters

Jern26

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Willys CJ5
Made the mistake of settling for a sport last time with my jk. I've since learned a Rubicon is what I want!

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
In my situation, so far I'm not convinced $10,000+ extra for the Rubicon model is worthwhile. My CJs have gotten me all over the Rockies and Moab, so if the JL Sport is more capable than the CJs, do I need what Rubicon offers. Plus I like to pick my own preference for tire and wheel. Perhaps if I got even more hard core down the road, the heavier duty Rubicon axles, gearing and lockers could alleviate some of that $10,000 up front expenditure. Although oddly, the two people I know personally who bought JK Rubicons never take them off-road, they are pavement crawlers.

Could change, but at the moment I am envisioning a base JLU Sport, red color with hard top, with me installing different tires/wheels, and possibly a mild lift down the road if there is a significant clearance issue. I bet that vehicle would be a lot of fun. How much more fun would spending an extra $10,000 get me, compared to saving that cash or spending on something else? That is a question I have to answer. $10,000 buys a lot of chocolate pretzels, lol.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I would try to configure a Sport S with all the same features that are standard in the Rubicon, like the 7" Uconnect, in order to compare apples to apples. Then look at the price difference to see what it actually costs for the upgraded axles/lockers/sway bar.

Sponsored

Jern26

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Willys CJ5
I am in the same boat.

Can you elaborate?
Well I bought a jk sport with ambitions of building it comparable to a Rubicon - but by the time I would regear, buy lockers, and get a stronger front axle, the price difference was already accounted for. Not to mention the superiority of a rubi's 4:1 t-case. Also, running 35s on my jk's d30 made me uneasy on the trail, kind of gun shy - so from the extra stress I just didn't enjoy wheeling as much. What makes it even easier of a decision on the JL is the fact that we can run 35s on a stock rubicon, so that will also offset the cost of buying a lift which is a huge plus

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Now if the website would have the configuration updated... definitely prefer the Rubicon wheels with 33"...not messing with after market.

I would try to configure a Sport S with all the same features that are standard in the Rubicon, like the 7" Uconnect, in order to compare apples to apples. Then look at the price difference to see what it actually costs for the upgraded axles/lockers/sway bar.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Well I bought a jk sport with ambitions of building it comparable to a Rubicon - but by the time I would regear, buy lockers, and get a stronger front axle, the price difference was already accounted for. Not to mention the superiority of a rubi's 4:1 t-case. Also, running 35s on my jk's d30 made me uneasy on the trail, kind of gun shy - so from the extra stress I just didn't enjoy wheeling as much. What makes it even easier of a decision on the JL is the fact that we can run 35s on a stock rubicon, so that will also offset the cost of buying a lift which is a huge plus
Agreed. I think for someone who wants those items and will make use of them, the Rubicon seems the way to go. I would go Rubicon even if it cost a bit more compared to doing it all aftermarket. I will probably go Sport though, because not sure I need all those items, and cost is a key factor, just not a big spender on vehicles.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
OK now that we got prices what’s the verdict? Just priced out my Rubi and it comes to $43,000 that’s without hardtop and turbo.

Priced out the Sport S and granted it is cheaper but those wheels are just horrible.

Just realized on the Sport S, looks unfinished below the door like it’s missing that piece that comes on the Rubi.

Rubi appears to have a cleaner look above the front wheels with the higher fenders where the Sport set lower and the crease is visible.

CFAFF450-DD73-4CC5-B80C-729B401F9037.jpeg

A8B85CBD-053D-4437-83EF-69551BD9E8B4.jpeg

HighGs

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited
While I love the Rubicon, I'm just not sure I can swing the price. I actually think the Sport S wheels look like the Chief Edition wheels. Like the Blue and Tan look! download (19).jpeg download (17).jpeg

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The 4:1 transfer case has no affect on street/highway driving. It is only in 4 low. The high range is 1:1 on all models.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Thinking the same on not much difference on the price. Think the larger wheels, brakes, and many features not available on the Sport S seem to make the Rubicon the way to go.

Like the overall look better if the Rubi with how the fender sit higher and align better.

Granted the Rubi is more expensive, but if you plan to keep it 5-8 years, worth it in the long run.