Sponsored

To BSG, or Not To BSG

To BSG, or Not To BSG: Are you going to get a BSG (eTorque) equipped Wrangler?

• Total voters

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
Will the BSG be standard or optional? I'm waiting for a '19 but not for the BSG.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Will the BSG be standard or optional? I'm waiting for a '19 but not for the BSG.
At this point it’s unknown. I would think that similar to ESS it would be standard to add/push the benefits to the entire platform, but as the expected production timeline is listed as Oct 2018, you might be able to get the early 18/19 model year crossover without the BSG even if it becomes standard, but at this point that would be a guess.

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I'd like to be sure I understand this technology: when I drove my diesel wagon with ESS in Italy, I had trouble jumping into traffic at roundabouts, because the damned engine was slow restarting. It was downright dangerous. Does the BSG 48V battery provide immediate power at start up? It would be nice to have the environmental advantages of ESS without the downside. This would tip me more toward the turbo.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that’s the role it plays essentially, it’s a mild hybrid providing probably about 75lbft torque off of 0 RPM (contributing amount decays as engine speeds up), so it provides a nice little bit of off the line grunt to get moving until the engine can pickup the slack.

Reviewers have been positive about the BSG reducing the impact of ESS to make it very imperceptible.

Jimbobcooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06 and WRX
Yes, that’s the role it plays essentially, it’s a mild hybrid providing probably about 75lbft torque off of 0 RPM (contributing amount decays as engine speeds up), so it provides a nice little bit of off the line grunt to get moving until the engine can pickup the slack.

Reviewers have been positive about the BSG reducing the impact of ESS to make it very imperceptible.
Yea and the reviews are also saying it makes the stop/start tech a lot more bearable and fluid.

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Based on the performance of the Pacifica Hybrid, the BSG will add complexity and weight to the Wrangler in exchange for slightly better fuel economy and a few dozen miles of electric-only range. The Pacifica gained almost 600 lbs and lost half a second to 60 mph but gained 30 miles of electric range. I don't want it.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
In my daily driver sure in a wrangler no. I would like to continue to work on the truck my self and don’t know enough an the system to do so. I would supercharge or just build the engine before I go the mild hybrid way. As for engine stop and go had it on few last cars. I love it in a city on a worm day. You get to a red light with windows down and car is off nice and quiet. When you don’t want it just turn it off.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
In my daily driver sure in a wrangler no
Hah! I’m not dropping $50k on a vehicle for it *not* to be my daily driver...

As far as the BSG is concerned, I like the idea and don’t at all expect it to be the 600lbs that the Pacifica hybrid supposedly added. Lithium batteries are very light for their power, and it won’t be a big bank of batteries - 0.5-1kw likely (compare to the 100kw in a Tesla).

I doubt I’ll have a choice in the JT I’m waiting for anyway, so I’m glad I like the idea of 75-90lbs of extra torque and better fuel economy.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Based on the performance of the Pacifica Hybrid, the BSG will add complexity and weight to the Wrangler in exchange for slightly better fuel economy and a few dozen miles of electric-only range. The Pacifica gained almost 600 lbs and lost half a second to 60 mph but gained 30 miles of electric range. I don't want it.
There is virtually no commonality between the Pacifica Hybrid and this thing; the Pacifica Hybrid is a plug-in hybrid with 16kWh battery capacity and a plug to charge them. The BSG has 2% of that battery capacity (0.33 kWh) and no plug. The battery is just a place to dump energy regenerated during deceleration to use the next time you accelerate. The whole system probably adds <25 lbs, most of which is wiring.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
There is virtually no commonality between the Pacifica Hybrid and this thing; the Pacifica Hybrid is a plug-in hybrid with 16kWh battery capacity and a plug to charge them. The BSG has 2% of that battery capacity (0.33 kWh) and no plug. The battery is just a place to dump energy regenerated during deceleration to use the next time you accelerate. The whole system probably adds <25 lbs, most of which is wiring.
That's a major relief. I thought they were going to drop in what they have in the Jeep.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
That's a major relief. I thought they were going to drop in what they have in the Jeep.
They will, but that's a future model. The 2L/upcoming 3.6 BSG are just a 48V alternator/motor hooked up to a tiny battery for regen/'e-torque'.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Some have mentioned they hate ESS in this thread, I agree, but I must say the JL might be the first one I don’t mind at all... I imagined turning it off every time, to my surprise it’s quite well integrated. As for BSG, I like the concept, but I’m really happy with this 3.6 in the JL, seems like almost a completely different engine then my old JKU.

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
You guys think BSG on the 3.6 is worth waiting for?
I was originally planning to throw in an order in early March
If the 3.6L ESS & BSG will be the standard in MY 2019 over the 3.6L with just ESS, I feel like it's worth the wait. But if there will be an additional upcharge for the 3.6L ESS & BSG over the 3.6L ESS then I will stick to the latter
But there's also my inner child coming out thinking "screw it, i want the Jeep now!"

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
You guys think BSG on the 3.6 is worth waiting for?
I was originally planning to throw in an order in early March
If the 3.6L ESS & BSG will be the standard in MY 2019 over the 3.6L with just ESS, I feel like it's worth the wait. But if there will be an additional upcharge for the 3.6L ESS & BSG over the 3.6L ESS then I will stick to the latter
But there's also my inner child coming out thinking "screw it, i want the Jeep now!"
Well, it could be both. Can't imagine that FCA would produce 2 otherwise identical Pentastars, just one with and one without BSG; I'd imagine once they make the cutover that's the way it will be, period. However, that doesn't mean they won't be raising the price (again) for MY2019. So MY2019 could have the BSG Pentastar AND a price increase. It's like a lot of things, whether it's cars or electronics or what have you, if you are always waiting for the next big thing you will always be waiting.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think 3.6+BSG will be similar to the $1,000 premium for the 2.0T.

If you don’t have a Wrangler, it’s probably not worth waiting 9 mths because they arrive in the fall meaning you lose a whole summer of driving. For those of us who already have Wranglers, it’s worth the wait for the things we want, especially if they somewhat mitigate the things we don’t like (ESS), and possibly add some benefits like low end torque.
Sponsored